Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've read a few threads about this, but it seemed a bit confusing.

Although I have a V6, I still want it to sound a bit better. I have the fake dual exhaust SXT.

I'd like to avoid dumping $1000 into a full cat-back system.

From what I do recall, a resonator delete may sound like garbage, but a mid-muffler delete may be feasible.

What are my options for under $500? Thanks

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Livable options for under $500 - NONE. Drive it the way it is until you save up enough $$ to do it right. Anything less than a Solo, Borla, or Corsa cat back system will sound like schizz and you will regret it. Been there, done that too many times.

·
Registered
8,733 Posts
^ Seconded. I tried a couple of different setups on mine, then heard the Magnaflow dual exhaust on a friends' car and liked it, so I went with that one. The three listed above are also very good systems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK thanks for the replies guys. I know theres no good options, but this car is way too quiet for my liking. And I cant afford one of the premium options.

What are my options for a couple hundred bucks? (I've got the SXT charger with the fake dual-exhaust.)

-Resonator Delete? (will drone, but can be mitigated with cherrybomb glasspacks?)
-Mid-muffler delete? (and straight piped? or replaced with
-Replace the mid-muffler with another 3rd party one that sounds better? Like this , Or this

Doing research on this topic is a bit confusing with so many different opinions and fancy terms. Can somebody please break this down for me?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you want loud just remove some of the exhaust system and then you'll find a way to finance it, or reinstall the factory components.

Modifying the V6 exhaust to sound ideal is like taking a good violin and trying to make it sound like a stradivarius. You can improve it but it's only as good as the expense and quality that goes into it. Don't cut corners.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Doing research on this topic is a bit confusing with so many different opinions and fancy terms. Can somebody please break this down for me?
The short version is, you hear a lot about Hemi Charger owners who are really happy with their mid-muffler delete. That's because in a typical 5.7 Charger exhaust, the resonators do all the heavy lifting. If you've ever seen the inside, you'd understand...they look like a Microsoft Windows Pipes screensaver run amok. So if you cut off the mufflers, you just make the system a little louder. You might introduce a little rasp or whipcrack here or there, but most enthusiasts like the result.

The SXT exhaust is a very different animal. It has essentially two ingredients; T430-grade stainless steel and disappointment.

Because the V-6 has no MDS and isn't...you know, a Hemi...it has a bit less propensity to drone. So the resonators on your car, while they resemble the Hemi resonators externally, inside they are mostly just a single perforated S-pipe wrapped in fiberglass.

So you can cut off the mid-muffler and replace it with either straight pipe, or a less restrictive muffler. It's a quick, cheap, down-and-dirty mod, but you might not like the sound. You're taking the split single-into-dual V-6 exhaust sound...warts and all..and just making it louder. If you want to try it, go ahead, it's not a ton of money. Just don't spend $100 on a muffler. Get an inexpensive, stainless round muffler and give it a shot if that's how you want to go, or just try straight pipe.

Personally, I wouldn't spend even that much hacking up your stock exhaust. But I do understand and respect that you don't want to drop a load of cash on a catback, either.

My suggestion would be to scour Craigslist for a complete take-off exhaust from an R/T, with a target price of $100-150 tops. For about the same cost as a name-brand muffler plus a little more in labor, you can have a real, honest-to-God dual exhaust system, the same one Dodge puts on the high-zoot V-6s like the Blacktop and the GT at the factory. It isn't going to be loud, but you'll get a small improvement in sound, and a tiny boost in performance. Plus, if it's not loud enough for you, you can still do a muffler delete down the road, or even modify your resonators for a little more sound at almost no cost.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The V6 resonators were never a perforated pipe wrapped with insulation (that was the early 5.7's) The 3.5 had a "resonator that was more muffler like than anything else, the drone pig 3.6 resonators have all kinds of plumbing inside (pic 1 is a 2011-2020 3.6L, pic 2 is the old 3.5 V6, and pic 3 is from the early 5.7)

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The short version is, you hear a lot about Hemi Charger owners who are really happy with their mid-muffler delete. That's because in a typical 5.7 Charger exhaust, the resonators do all the heavy lifting. If you've ever seen the inside, you'd understand...they look like a Microsoft Windows Pipes screensaver run amok. So if you cut off the mufflers, you just make the system a little louder. You might introduce a little rasp or whipcrack here or there, but most enthusiasts like the result.

The SXT exhaust is a very different animal. It has essentially two ingredients; T430-grade stainless steel and disappointment.

Because the V-6 has no MDS and isn't...you know, a Hemi...it has a bit less propensity to drone. So the resonators on your car, while they resemble the Hemi resonators externally, inside they are mostly just a single perforated S-pipe wrapped in fiberglass.

So you can cut off the mid-muffler and replace it with either straight pipe, or a less restrictive muffler. It's a quick, cheap, down-and-dirty mod, but you might not like the sound. You're taking the split single-into-dual V-6 exhaust sound...warts and all..and just making it louder. If you want to try it, go ahead, it's not a ton of money. Just don't spend $100 on a muffler. Get an inexpensive, stainless round muffler and give it a shot if that's how you want to go, or just try straight pipe.

Personally, I wouldn't spend even that much hacking up your stock exhaust. But I do understand and respect that you don't want to drop a load of cash on a catback, either.

My suggestion would be to scour Craigslist for a complete take-off exhaust from an R/T, with a target price of $100-150 tops. For about the same cost as a name-brand muffler plus a little more in labor, you can have a real, honest-to-God dual exhaust system, the same one Dodge puts on the high-zoot V-6s like the Blacktop and the GT at the factory. It isn't going to be loud, but you'll get a small improvement in sound, and a tiny boost in performance. Plus, if it's not loud enough for you, you can still do a muffler delete down the road, or even modify your resonators for a little more sound at almost no cost.
I like the last suggestion a lot. I checked and there's none readily available on local classifieds for my area.

I have previously actually thought this idea before. How broad can my search parameters be for it to still fit my car?

(ie. would 2006 onwards charger be OK? Or 2011 model year onwards? or must it be 2015 onwards? What about dodge challengers and chrysler 300's?)

Would this thing fit? (its for a challenger)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
the 2006 to 2010 have 4" round tips that won't fit your bumper and the hangers behind the mufflers are in the wrong place. The 2011-2014 has the correct ends, but the hangers are still in the wrong place (2" too far forward) Challenger exhausts X pipe is 7" too short.

·
Registered
7 Posts
does anyone make a dual mode / active exhaust for the v6 (late model) ? It's hard trying to determine if solo/corsa/borla decibel levels are below 94dB at the normal distances states / cities with sound limits are in and previous borla experience would imply that they are definitely not below the legal limit. A dual mode/active exhaust would be ideal. Closest thing i've found is fabbing one up from scratch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to a local reputable exhaust shop and they are quoting me $1100 Canadian ($805 USD) for a new Solo Performance Catback exhaust installed.

Is that a good price?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Not a bad price to have it installed, Solo is currently showing the cost of just the system as $845... if you do get it (you will love it) make sure that the shop welds the H pipe to the muffler AFTER it is installed and adjusted properly. The H-pipe and muffler is very long & heavy and it WILL sag down onto the front cross member over time and make a horrible racket, if welded together it won't sag...I foolishly waited over a year to have mine welded.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,733 Posts
Not a bad price to have it installed, Solo is currently showing the cost of just the system as $845... if you do get it (you will love it) make sure that the shop welds the H pipe to the muffler AFTER it is installed and adjusted properly. The H-pipe and muffler is very long & heavy and it WILL sag down onto the front cross member over time and make a horrible racket, if welded together it won't sag...I foolishly waited over a year to have mine welded.
When I had the dual exhaust installed on my Charger, the installer put a piece of 3/4" plywood in-between the cross member and the exhaust pipe, then welded it. (Then he removed the wood!) I never had a problem with it after that. :)
Other people have put a few flat washers in-between the cross member and the body to lower it a little if needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts