Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the K&N CAI that fits the 2005 Magnum and 300 SXT is compatible with the 2006 Charger SE & SXT? :confused:

I believe the K&N product number is 63-1117. I've seen it around the web for about $290.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Here is an email that I received from K&N:

Dear Craig,

The correct part number for the 2006 Dodge Charger 5.7 is 63-1114. If you have the 3.5 V-6 we do not yet have a intake system available for that application. If you have any questions feel free to give us a call at 1-800-858-3333.

Thank you for writing.

Nick R. Selle
Customer Service
K&N Engineering
[email protected]

I was also told by the guys at Volant that their CAI for the V6 should be ready by the middle of this month. :happy:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shucks........I knew it was too good to be true :confused:

I guess I ill just have to wait and see what the Volant guys come up with! :whistle:

·
Registered
29 Posts
spoonerock said:
Shucks........I knew it was too good to be true :confused:

I guess I ill just have to wait and see what the Volant guys come up with! :whistle:

What about Airraid and/or the Mopar CAI? Are they only for the 5.7L, or for the 3.5L also?

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
1quick1 said:
You got me?!?! The K&N site doesn't have a filtercharger system posted for the 3.5L Charger. Also, here is an email that I received from K&N:

Dear Craig,

The correct part number for the 2006 Dodge Charger 5.7 is 63-1114. If you have the 3.5 V-6 we do not yet have a intake system available for that application. If you have any questions feel free to give us a call at 1-800-858-3333.

Thank you for writing.

Nick R. Selle
Customer Service
K&N Engineering
[email protected]
That part number listed on High Horse Performance is the filtercharger for the 2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5. One would think that it would also fit on the Charger, but after reading Mr. Selle's email, I'm not too sure. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased this product (SKU: 63-1117) on High Horse Performance. I should get it Thursday (9/15), I'll let everyone know how it performs and fits. ChargerSXT got his info from K&N themselves so I could have jumped the gun in buying it (More money down the drain!). Who knows, but I'll find out on Thursday.

Ride(s):
2006 Dodge Charger SXT -- Magnaflow Dual Exhaust (W/O Resonator)

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
ScoobySnacks said:
I recently purchased this product (SKU: 63-1117) on High Horse Performance. I should get it Thursday (9/15), I'll let everyone know how it performs and fits. ChargerSXT got his info from K&N themselves so I could have jumped the gun in buying it (More money down the drain!). Who knows, but I'll find out on Thursday.

Ride(s):
2006 Dodge Charger SXT -- Magnaflow Dual Exhaust (W/O Resonator)
I definitly would like to know if the part fits. If it does, it'll be harder to decide between it and the Volant system (which should be ready this month - another email I received).

Also, how do you like your magnaflow system? How does it sound and look? If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
ChargerSXT said:
I definitly would like to know if the part fits. If it does, it'll be harder to decide between it and the Volant system (which should be ready this month - another email I received).

Also, how do you like your magnaflow system? How does it sound and look? If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

It sounds mean (slight purr to the engine now at engine idle) and the look is sick. Without the resonator it gives it the true straight through performance. I always wanted to fill out the empty space under the bumper, now I feel complete :lol: ... I purchased the 4 inch tips so you could tell something was done to the exhaust. I didn't purchase Magnaflows pre-made exhaust, it was a custom job at my local muffler shop. It only cost $400.00 cash, I think that was a pretty good price.?.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
ScoobySnacks said:
It sounds mean (slight purr to the engine now at engine idle) and the look is sick. Without the resonator it gives it the true straight through performance. I always wanted to fill out the empty space under the bumper, now I feel complete :lol: ... I purchased the 4 inch tips so you could tell something was done to the exhaust. I didn't purchase Magnaflows pre-made exhaust, it was a custom job at my local muffler shop. It only cost $400.00 cash, I think that was a pretty good price.?.
Awesome! It sounds like you got a great deal. Got pics?

I may have to look into a custom shop around here. We shall see.... :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The K&N that I recently purchased fits like a glove in my Charger SXT :happy: . It performs just as good with my Magnaflow Exhaust. The sound of the car has improved with a much richer, deeper tone. I can also feel an improvement on the pick up of the vehicle. It also looks sick installed under the hood. It took me all but 30-45 minutes to get it done. When I get the time, I will try and post pics of the installs (Intake, Exhaust).

Ride(s):
2006 Dodge Charger SXT:
Magnaflow Dual Exhaust (W/O Resonator)
K&N Intake (SKU: 63-1117)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ScoobySnacks said:
The K&N that I recently purchased fits like a glove in my Charger SXT :happy: . It performs just as good with my Magnaflow Exhaust. The sound of the car has improved with a much richer, deeper tone. I can also feel an improvement on the pick up of the vehicle. It also looks sick installed under the hood. It took me all but 30-45 minutes to get it done. When I get the time, I will try and post pics of the installs (Intake, Exhaust).

Ride(s):
2006 Dodge Charger SXT:
Magnaflow Dual Exhaust (W/O Resonator)
K&N Intake (SKU: 63-1117)
THAT, MY FRIEND, IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am also checking out an Air Intake product by Airaid (part #350-171) that is compatible with the 05 Magnum & 300 V6. I wrote directly to Airaid and should hear back soon.

It will be nice to finally have some more mod choices!

Thanks for letting us know & let's see those pics :happy: :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
SnoobySnacks...Great to hear that the K&N fits on the Charger! I guess some of those guys at K&N don't know their own systems. :whistle:

Spoonerock...I'd like to know what you hear back about the AirRaid system.

I'm waiting on the see the Volant system. I've got another email in to them, and I hope to hear back from them soon.

It's difficult to decided between the 3 systems. Has anyone heard, or know, good and/or bad aspects of each one? Any info that helps with the decision will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ChargerSXT said:
SnoobySnacks...Great to hear that the K&N fits on the Charger! I guess some of those guys at K&N don't know their own systems. :whistle:

Spoonerock...I'd like to know what you hear back about the AirRaid system.

I'm waiting on the see the Volant system. I've got another email in to them, and I hope to hear back from them soon.

It's difficult to decided between the 3 systems. Has anyone heard, or know, good and/or bad aspects of each one? Any info that helps with the decision will be greatly appreciated.
I downloaded the installation pdf file for the K&N last night. After reviewing it, it does look like it is an easy install. I can't see (from the pictures) why it wouldn't fit.

Haven't heard from the AirRaid folks (or High Horsepower for that matter), so we'll see what today brings!

I think since the manufacturers (or at least their reps) seem confused about compatibility with other 2005 LX platforms, we might get a better guage on performance if we check the lx forum posts for the 300 & Magnum.

Maybe I'll do that this evening!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Sounds like a plan.

I really want to see what the volant system looks like. There is someone on this forum who has one on their RT, and I love the look (the pic is in their avitar (sp?)).

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ChargerSXT said:
Sounds like a plan.

I really want to see what the volant system looks like. There is someone on this forum who has one on their RT, and I love the look (the pic is in their avitar (sp?)).
Yeah I know what you are talking about, I saw it too. Looks like the Volant has more of a protective casing around part of it, whereas the other two look like they sit more out in the open.

I wonder, however, if the casing itself doesn't restrict some of the air flow? :confused:

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Good question. I believe that the intake for the Volant is lower down in the engine bay in order to draw in cooler air. That may, in fact, restrict some airflow.

I need to find out more about the AirRaid system. It looks like it is more open, like the K&N, but is also more shielded from engine heat.

Decisions, decisions, decisions..... :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
ChargerSXT said:
Good question. I believe that the intake for the Volant is lower down in the engine bay in order to draw in cooler air. That may, in fact, restrict some airflow.

I need to find out more about the AirRaid system. It looks like it is more open, like the K&N, but is also more shielded from engine heat.

Decisions, decisions, decisions..... :confused:

You are correct. The actual factory Intake pulls from a chamber tube that goes beneath the car. When you pull the whole Intake out there is a tube left sticking in the air somewhat. The K&N filter rest right on top of that tube left behind when you yank the factory intake and pulls from it while the heat shield gives it that added protection. I attached 4 images (2 Exhaust, 2 Intake) I hope I did it right.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts