Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

I had a couple questions for ya;

First off... i've heard the V6 in the Charger is the same engine as the Dodge Avenger R/T, but for some reason it has 235hp instead of the 250hp the Charger has... is this true?

If so, why did it lose 15hp? Is there anything you can do to the car to get that 15hp back?

Also, do you guys know if there are any mods for your 3.5L V6's that would work with the Avenger?

Finally... i'm curious to know what kind of performance numbers you guys are getting with the V6 Charger... (0-60, 1/4 mile etc etc).

Any help would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
The difference in HP might be contributed to a different drivetrain or a more effecient something thats putting out 15 more Hp to the wheels. But who cares everyone knows that the Charger is a total mans car and the Avenger is more of a chicks car. Its like comparing a civic with a mercedes since everyone knows that the Charger basically has the same suspension as the E class mercedes. If you want speed and have some money to splurge than go for the SRT8, the only thing faster dodge is a Viper and this years version has an insane amount of Hp(something like over 650) for aroun $83G's thats alot of muscle for your money. But if your worried about speed and your budget is in the avengers range, then why not just get an srt4, that v4 with a stage 3 supercharger will smoke its fair share of underestimating cars. THE CHARGER r/T ON THE OTHER END IS IN MY OPINION THE BEST balance between plush ride and performance even though its a lil front heavy, but it comes with a price and its not for everyone. Dude in my opinion just get a damn Charger or stop insulting us with this avenger vs. Charger crap when even a moron knows that wack ass car isnt even on the Chargers level. Its a waterdowned charger ar best.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The difference in HP might be contributed to a different drivetrain or a more effecient something thats putting out 15 more Hp to the wheels. But who cares everyone knows that the Charger is a total mans car and the Avenger is more of a chicks car. Its like comparing a civic with a mercedes since everyone knows that the Charger basically has the same suspension as the E class mercedes. If you want speed and have some money to splurge than go for the SRT8, the only thing faster dodge is a Viper and this years version has an insane amount of Hp(something like over 650) for aroun $83G's thats alot of muscle for your money. But if your worried about speed and your budget is in the avengers range, then why not just get an srt4, that v4 with a stage 3 supercharger will smoke its fair share of underestimating cars. THE CHARGER r/T ON THE OTHER END IS IN MY OPINION THE BEST balance between plush ride and performance even though its a lil front heavy, but it comes with a price and its not for everyone. Dude in my opinion just get a damn Charger or stop insulting us with this avenger vs. Charger crap when even a moron knows that wack ass car isnt even on the Chargers level. Its a waterdowned charger ar best.
LOL... wow... interesting response.

First of all, I don't see why you're getting all worked up over nothing. I never said the Avenger was better/worse than the Charger, I asked about the engine that it shares with the Charger SXT's and whether or not you can mod it.

Also, you have several of your facts screwed up, first of all... i already OWN an SRT-4 (thought my sig made that obvious)... and a Stage 3 is not supercharged...lol. The new Viper has 600hp, not 'over 650'.

I'm looking for a car that offers more than just speed. If I was RICH, yeah, i'm sure EVERYONE would buy an SRT-8... but I guess I don't $hit dollar bills like you must. It's the difference between paying $800/$900/month (cdn) for a Charger SRT, or $500/month for a fully loaded, comfortable Avenger R/T AWD. I think it's worth a look.

Why are you getting so offended that you need to talk trash about a car that is a sibling to the Charger??? (by the way, your honda/mercedes analogy was one of the dumbest things i've ever heard).

Now, if anybody has something constructive to add to this conversation, I welcome it... as far as I can tell, my original post shouldn't have offended anyone.

Plus, I know more than enough about the Charger, there is a Charger R/T parked right next to my SRT-4 in the driveway that a family member owns and I drive it all the time, I love the vehicle! It's just a little out of my price range at the moment.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My 96 V6 Avenger had like 165-185 HP LOL! and looked just like a late GTO from the side.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 96 V6 Avenger had like 165-185 HP LOL! and looked just like a late GTO from the side.
LOL... I guess 235hp isn't that bad considering what they had in the past!

I'm also hearing the Avenger R/T will do 0-60mph in about 7 seconds. That's not bad at all for a mid-size family-type car with features up the whazoo.

Although it really can't hold much of a candle to the Charger R/T or above.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I personally don't like the Avenger, too small for me, but the one thing muscleman said that I agree with was that there must be something different in the drivetrain or something us chargers have to make us more efficient. I'm sure they give us as much HP as possible being Rwd and loosing so much to the wheels, but I may be wrong. Good luck, GO MOPAR!!!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I personally don't like the Avenger, too small for me, but the one thing muscleman said that I agree with was that there must be something different in the drivetrain or something us chargers have to make us more efficient. I'm sure they give us as much HP as possible being Rwd and loosing so much to the wheels, but I may be wrong. Good luck, GO MOPAR!!!
Why could it not be that everything is the same, it's just the tune that is different. With these fully-controllable engine management systems, surely it's easy to just use different tuning maps in the engine ECU to change the torque/power curves. Maybe all they do is cut back on the fuelling throughout the rev range? :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe the answer might be as simple as the 3.5 was "de-tuned" a little so they could state unleaded regular was the recommended fuel.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the answer might be as simple as the 3.5 was "de-tuned" a little so they could state unleaded regular was the recommended fuel.
I thought it had something to do with Dodge de-tuning it... my main question would be, what does that detuning consist of? ...and is there any way to reverse it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Kind of off the 'detuning' subject, but if youre willing to spend 500/mo ... why not get a used 06 r/t with like 15-20k miles on it, still under warranty for that much. I'd prefer that over a new, over priced avenger that will lose thousands in value as soon as you drive off the lot. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kind of off the 'detuning' subject, but if youre willing to spend 500/mo ... why not get a used 06 r/t with like 15-20k miles on it, still under warranty for that much. I'd prefer that over a new, over priced avenger that will lose thousands in value as soon as you drive off the lot. Just my 2 cents...
Well, first off.. it would be a 4 year lease, so i'm not as concerned with it dropping in value once I drive off the lot, because I would be 'stuck' with it anyway.

As far as why not get a 2006 Charger? I think that if you compare them, the avenger has either the same or more comfort and convenience features, plus the myGIG system which the Charger still lacks.

If engine power/speed still meant more to me than toys, then yes.. that would be a good idea because the Charger R/T kicks a$$ speed-wise and is still a very nice car.

Like I said, i've owned the SRT4 for a few years now and i'm tired of having a car that boasts awesome speed but little else. The charger would be ideal, but it is out of my price range (unless I buy an older used one).

This thread is not about trying to make the Avenger anywhere near as fast as a Charger, but just to see if there is ANYTHING that can be done to quicken the car a bit. Now, whether or not that can be done is a different story.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I bought my 06 SXT new in Dec 06 with leather and 18"rims with $0 down my payments are $450. (Can you get those options on an Avenger?) About the same you would pay each month for an Avenger R/T with the 3.5L. My Charger may not have all the little "bells and whistles" of an Avenger but there is a "metric Az$ Ton" more room inside and with 3 kids in the back the extra room is well worth not having the mygig.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Why are they not offering the avenger rt with a hemi? If you look at the curb weight on the dodge websight, It ways the same +or- 50lbs as the charger. I hate to see rt badges on less than a hemi.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Why are they not offering the avenger rt with a hemi? If you look at the curb weight on the dodge websight, It ways the same +or- 50lbs as the charger. I hate to see rt badges on less than a hemi.
FWD on the Avenger couldn't handle the 390 lbs-ft. When flooring from a stop you couldn't steer straight because of torque steer.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
honestly bro, if I were you and you really want a charger R/T then just hang back for a little. There are great deals out there is you just be patient. If you need to buy now, I would choose the Avenger R/T AWD. I personally feel it is a better deal than charger SXT. But again this is just my two cents. plus the avenger RT comes with a 6 spd auto which would be nice and the mygig

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
FWD on the Avenger couldn't handle the 390 lbs-ft. When flooring from a stop you couldn't steer straight because of torque steer.
what about an AWD avenger with a hemi?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought my 06 SXT new in Dec 06 with leather and 18"rims with $0 down my payments are $450. (Can you get those options on an Avenger?) About the same you would pay each month for an Avenger R/T with the 3.5L. My Charger may not have all the little "bells and whistles" of an Avenger but there is a "metric Az$ Ton" more room inside and with 3 kids in the back the extra room is well worth not having the mygig.
Well... not to try and pick a fight... but yeah... the model I am looking at for $500/month (Canadian) has leather heated bucket seats and 18" chrome rims.

I assume you live in the US so your $450/month probably isn't too far off from the same amount I would be paying.

On top of that, you get all of the "bells and whistles", plus i'm pretty sure the 0-60 time of 7 seconds along with AWD make the Avenger the better go (if we're comparing Avenger's to Charger SXT's that is).

Plus, Avenger may not have as much room as Charger does, but the model I priced did have the rear seat flip up DVD for the 'kids'.... not that I have kids or anything.

As I said before, i'm not here to knock chargers, I LOVE them... but he brought it up.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The engine advertised power has nothing to do with the drivetrain or other losses...it is based on an engine dyno test to an SAE standard...

My guess is that it has something to do with air intake or exhaust. Maybe the exhaust is significantly different (smaller) on the Avenger, or that both the intake and exhaust couldn't be tuned as well with the smaller package.

Keith

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well... not to try and pick a fight... but yeah... the model I am looking at for $500/month (Canadian) has leather heated bucket seats and 18" chrome rims.

I assume you live in the US so your $450/month probably isn't too far off from the same amount I would be paying.

On top of that, you get all of the "bells and whistles", plus i'm pretty sure the 0-60 time of 7 seconds along with AWD make the Avenger the better go (if we're comparing Avenger's to Charger SXT's that is).

Plus, Avenger may not have as much room as Charger does, but the model I priced did have the rear seat flip up DVD for the 'kids'.... not that I have kids or anything.

As I said before, i'm not here to knock chargers, I LOVE them... but he brought it up.
No fighting just friendly discussion.:grin:

I prefer the Charger due to more room, rear wheel drive and more ponies out of the same engine for the same price as a loaded Avenger. Those 3 things were were more important to me than a few creature comforts...:silenced:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts