Charger Forums banner

What do you think of the HID headlights?

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
That is really weird, I can see almost twice as far with my HIDs as I can in the wife's car that has plain halogens... maybe they changed something internally in the assembly from the 2016s models ?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
That is really weird, I can see almost twice as far with my HIDs as I can in the wife's car that has plain halogens... maybe they changed something internally in the assembly from the 2016s models ?
There is no comparison between the halogen bulbs that were in my 2010 and the HIDs in my 2013.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
The headlights have different part numbers for each year, so they have probably changed something internally, as the outsides all look the same. Could be why the newer ones provide poor illumination...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The HID headlights in the charger got a Poor rating from the IIHS.
The Halogens outperformed them.
Saying the Halogens outperformed them is a bit misleading....I guess they did in the straight line but look at the results there on the curves. 10 meters in a straight line was about 10% on curves 10 meters was 25%

It is hard to find a high performing light on there from outside European designs.

Also the HID had much less glare 350% vs. 190% of "threshold exceeded"

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I wouldn't suggest getting their own line of bulbs due to capsule alignment issues, but theretrofitsource.com at least has legit osram, philips, etc bulbs. The osram cool blue intense or nightbreaker lasers are good choices (which depends on whether you prefer a more neutral or light or more white with a hint of blue).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guys!. Those of you that aren't happy with your OEM HID's. I have found an acceptable solution that I really think makes a significant difference !

So the factory HID's use a DS3 bulb type. I found an LED that is literally plug and play that you simply just remove the HID bulb, plug the LED Bulb in its place and connect the DS3 Ballast wire to the LED harness.

Not only are these 6k pure white that match the fogs. They provide WAY more light on the road than even the Osram Nightbreaker HID bulbs I swapped out.

The little ballast and canbus boxes that are part of the LED lights tuck right into the headlight housing so you can still put the dust cap on no problem.

No Errors, No light out issues whatsoever. Just Pure super bright white light that i can actually see on the road where as before I could't even tell I had my headlights on.

Hope this brings help to some of you. Highly recommended.

B.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Guys!. Those of you that aren't happy with your OEM HID's. I have found an acceptable solution that I really think makes a significant difference !

So the factory HID's use a DS3 bulb type. I found an LED that is literally plug and play that you simply just remove the HID bulb, plug the LED Bulb in its place and connect the DS3 Ballast wire to the LED harness.

Not only are these 6k pure white that match the fogs. They provide WAY more light on the road than even the Osram Nightbreaker HID bulbs I swapped out.

The little ballast and canbus boxes that are part of the LED lights tuck right into the headlight housing so you can still put the dust cap on no problem.

No Errors, No light out issues whatsoever. Just Pure super bright white light that i can actually see on the road where as before I could't even tell I had my headlights on.

Hope this brings help to some of you. Highly recommended.

B.
That looks almost to good to be true at that price..I read that LED's put out a lot of heat they won't damage the housing???

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm still skeptical of the quality and performance of many of these no name led bulbs and their absurd intensity claims. To see how they really perform you need to have photos of the bulbs in the same housing under the same conditions (ie a flat wall ~25' away) with camera exposure settings locked in for both shots (not some cell phone auto exposure). That'll show if the beam pattern is any good and how the intensity of the light is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That looks almost to good to be true at that price..I read that LED's put out a lot of heat they won't damage the housing???
The led bulb has a built in fan and it sits mounted in the projector about exactly the same as the HID bulb. People have put these things in the oven to open the housing and many cars now come with factory LED's . So far no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm still skeptical of the quality and performance of many of these no name led bulbs and their absurd intensity claims. To see how they really perform you need to have photos of the bulbs in the same housing under the same conditions (ie a flat wall ~25' away) with camera exposure settings locked in for both shots (not some cell phone auto exposure). That'll show if the beam pattern is any good and how the intensity of the light is.
My wife has a 2018 Hyundai Tuscon Limited with LED lights. We both park in the garage so I wanted to compare how bright her lights hitting the wall to mine (Her's is very bright). They were almost identical.

They look exactly the same as the HID cutoff but just much brighter. As you know if you buy from Amazon, you basically have nothing to lose. You can give it a try and if not pleased simply return them for a full refund but I think you'll be quite impressed as I am. Seeing a white swatch of light on the road in front of me was not possible with the OEM HID's without a very expensive aftermarket projector retrofit.

I'll snag a photo later this morning and post it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would equate the performance of these LED's to what I might expect of a 55watt HID Ballast if we had the capability to swap out the oem 35w which we can't. :( The LED lighting technology seems to be advancing at a great rate. Soon HID's will be a thing of the past like Halogens IMHO.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sorry, but I prefer to see real data. I've seen some leds work well and I've seen some be completely shit. To the ballast point, there are higher wattage options available (at least for the osram ballast in my car), but they are expensive. Throwing more light at the problem is not always a good solution though. You want a better distribution of light, not always more light. Ideally you want a little light as possible so that you can see. More contrast between your headlights and the surrounding environment is not a good thing. That hurts your vision of anything (deer, debris, drunk people, etc) not in your beam pattern. It's the same concept as being blinded by a flashlight at night.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry, but I prefer to see real data. I've seen some leds work well and I've seen some be completely shit. To the ballast point, there are higher wattage options available (at least for the osram ballast in my car), but they are expensive. Throwing more light at the problem is not always a good solution though. You want a better distribution of light, not always more light. Ideally you want a little light as possible so that you can see. More contrast between your headlights and the surrounding environment is not a good thing. That hurts your vision of anything (deer, debris, drunk people, etc) not in your beam pattern. It's the same concept as being blinded by a flashlight at night.

Yeah I totally get ya man!. I just wanted to throw this info out there for those who wanted to give it a try. For me personally, I just wanted to see some semblance of light on the road in front of me and I was not getting that at all with the HIDs unless I was on a completely dark country back road.

Again you have nothing to lose since you can easily toss them back in the box and click "Return Item" w/Amazon. No harm no foul. Totally your call.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been looking for replacement housing myself. Even before I tinted the windshield, it’s the actual reflectors in the projector. The Durango has the exact same HID bulbs and it’s twice as bright on the road. When it rains I wonder if my lights are even on.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts