Charger Forums banner

What do you think of the HID headlights?

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Personally I'm happy we don't have LED headlights in these cars. Multiple thousands of dollars to replace them if they fail or get broken vs a couple hundred for a typical halogen or hid housing. Not to mention you can replace a pair of HID bulbs for $200 or so. Maybe for people that buy a new car every 3 or 4 years it's fine, but from someone that buys cars to keep for 10-20 years, HID all the way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Personally I'm happy we don't have LED headlights in these cars. Multiple thousands of dollars to replace them if they fail or get broken vs a couple hundred for a typical halogen or hid housing. Not to mention you can replace a pair of HID bulbs for $200 or so. Maybe for people that buy a new car every 3 or 4 years it's fine, but from someone that buys cars to keep for 10-20 years, HID all the way.
You make a good point! They are expensive to replace when they fail. I haven’t seen one fail yet working at Nissan but I’m sure they will at some point.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You make a good point! They are expensive to replace when they fail. I haven’t seen one fail yet working at Nissan but I’m sure they will at some point.
I don't know if it's just the heat around here in the summer, but I see loads of couple year old accords with failed sections of led running and/or headlights. My brothers both work at car dealers (one gm, one mazda) I'll have to ask them what they see around there just for my own curiosity. Kinda nuts when you think that maybe a $30k car (of any make) might be work $10k - $5k in 5-10 years and a minor front end crash could break $4k of headlights and total the car. I bet you'll see lots of 10+ year old cars that came with factory led headlights running around with aftermarket halogen housings in the future just because of the cost of the led housings.

I had a pair of bmw led foglights mounted in the bumper of my Durango for a while and one of those failed. Kinda sucks that you're stuck replacing the whole housing at that point. If they'd make led headlights with diodes replaceable without scrapping the optics and everything else it would be a lot better. But they're probably happy to rake in thousands down the road for a replacement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I don't know if it's just the heat around here in the summer, but I see loads of couple year old accords with failed sections of led running and/or headlights. My brothers both work at car dealers (one gm, one mazda) I'll have to ask them what they see around there just for my own curiosity. Kinda nuts when you think that maybe a $30k car (of any make) might be work $10k - $5k in 5-10 years and a minor front end crash could break $4k of headlights and total the car. I bet you'll see lots of 10+ year old cars that came with factory led headlights running around with aftermarket halogen housings in the future just because of the cost of the led housings.

I had a pair of bmw led foglights mounted in the bumper of my Durango for a while and one of those failed. Kinda sucks that you're stuck replacing the whole housing at that point. If they'd make led headlights with diodes replaceable without scrapping the optics and everything else it would be a lot better. But they're probably happy to rake in thousands down the road for a replacement.
I don’t disagree with that all. I guess in theory the led should never fail but the driver for the led will fail. They do get pretty damn hot.
I had to replace a headlight in a 2018 tundra I owned earlier in the year that had led high and low plus led Dtrl as well. It was under $600 complete which I didn’t think was that bad. Prices seem to be all over the place for headlights.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you could manage to get it behind the grill that would probably give more usable light down the road. Being too low to the ground would have the effect fog lights do as far as hurting distance vision with more light up close.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Why the hate? We can all say whatever we want and be nice about it.
I think the dodge brand is not for me for several reasons. People May disagree and that’s fine. To each their own.
speak your mind. If you don’t like it you can go trash another forum. Everyone was having a respectful conversation

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hect is a whiny jackass that contributes nothing to this forum besides complaining about how nothing is good enough for him, and he can't handle being called out on it. That's pretty much it. Sure everyone can have an opinion, but most people here are actually contributing to something or having a discussion vs him just whining to everyone else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Hect is a whiny jackass that contributes nothing to this forum besides complaining about how nothing is good enough for him, and he can't handle being called out on it. That's pretty much it. Sure everyone can have an opinion, but most people here are actually contributing to something or having a discussion vs him just whining to everyone else.
My message was directed towards him incase that was not clear

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don’t want to blind anyone. I can’t see much even with no one around. I live in the country and on the constant lookout for deer and other animals.
I have started to drive the civic at night because the led lights are very bright and crisp. The beam is also very precise and does not blind people
I agree the lights suck. Have a scatoack and I hate the light output. Have a 2017 GC and the lights are far brighter. Same company?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello guys and gals
I have a 2020 widebody charger with the factory HID headlights.
anyone else notice that the headlights are as close to useless as possible?
I have upgraded the hid bulbs and hardly a change.
May night on a wide open road I can barely see anything at all and when I flick on the high beams there’s little change.
dodge says it’s normal. I say it’s very dangerous.
I’m not even sure why anyone is still using HID instead of LED in 2020. Any input from anyone would be appreciated.
I have a civic type r and the led headlights are wonderful and I feel much safer driving it.
heck the sealed beam headlights in my 97 Nissan truck are MUCH brighter than the charger (no kidding)
The problem is those headlights are supposed to be used in conjuction with the LED fog lights....And when you get a Widebody or a Hellcat, the foglights are deleted.
Add some good foglights.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Fog lights aren't driving lights. More light up close to you, likefrom fog lights, hurts your distance vision.

Reactions: FlyersHockey

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
That sounds like a poor design from FCA. The wodebodies have room and a spot for fog lights above the bumper brake ducts but no kit available.
plus I don’t think that would solve my issue. I’m not worried about what’s directly in front of the car. My concern is a kid playing on the road 50 feet away that I can’t see

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Fog lights aren't supposed to be used as regular night time driving lights in addition to your headlamps. Several automakers don't allow them to put set to an always on with the headlamps option. I know with Infiniti and some MB cars you have to turn them on manually each time.

Reactions: BigM06R/TAWT

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Fog lights aren't supposed to be used as regular night time driving lights in addition to your headlamps. Several automakers don't allow them to put set to an always on with the headlamps option. I know with Infiniti and some MB cars you have to turn them on manually each time.
You're completely correct here... most American spec cars don't have real fog lights anyway. But real fog lights you shouldn't be using unless it is actually foggy and then your headlights would technically be off so you wouldn't flood your field of view with the dispersed light.

In Europe they have much better lighting standards and you see Mercedes with the one "bright" tail light that is actually a rear fog light so you can see the car ahead of you. In Europe they have cool laser lights and much better lighting regulations that make brighter lights and more safety but of course it adds to cost as well.

Capitalism is great unless it isn't.... if you can save $250-450 a car with less advanced lighting gear you will and the auto lobby is pretty strong. Would be nice to see an update to DOT standards that are from the 60s and 70s.

All that being said I use my fog lights all the time because they look cool! If I was doing high speed driving on a dark two lane road I'd probably turn them off because like mentioned, too much foreground light is bad and these little LEDs pretty much just light up the foreground. The 9145 lights on my 2006 threw more light down the road.

I found this interview with Daniel Stern a foremost lighting expert:

Part 2: Lighting the Way with Daniel Stern • Driving in the Real World®

Basically most factory fog lights aren't really "functional" and much more often are treated like jewlery.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The problem is those headlights are supposed to be used in conjuction with the LED fog lights....And when you get a Widebody or a Hellcat, the foglights are deleted.
Add some good foglights.
If the fog lights/driving lights are used in conjunction with the headlights.. is there a way to adjust the fog lights? I haven't looked yet looking for a short cut : )

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If the fog lights/driving lights are used in conjunction with the headlights.. is there a way to adjust the fog lights? I haven't looked yet looking for a short cut : )
They aren't supposed to be used that way. The old style lights were adjustable through the bottom of the bumper. Maybe the new ones are like that still though.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts