Charger Forums banner

What do you think of the HID headlights?

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not being a fanboy, I won't deny there are problems with any product. I'm not sitting around whining about it at any opportunity I get like you are though. No go take your whiny BS somewhere else because everyone here doesn't want to listen to you whine about how everything in life isn't up to your standards.
I'm sorry you can't handle an unfortunately negative opinion or conversation. Sometimes we have to have difficult or uncomfortable discussions in life.

Not everything is below my standards, just most things in manufacturing are (when compared to price paid). I developed this view after 15 years if fitting welding and metal working. I can assure you companies are getting away with the bare minimum in quality, and selling it as a premium product. Much of the time the safety is questionable too.

Amusement park rides/roller coasters are a prime example of this. After a few years of metal working, when I look at the welds on a ride, I'm scared to death. Cars are no different.

Unfortunately for you, free speech exists, you're welcome to ignore my posts if you like, as is anyone else who disagrees with me. Good day.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm sorry you can't handle an unfortunately negative opinion or conversation. Sometimes we have to have difficult or uncomfortable discussions in life.

Not everything is below my standards, just most things in manufacturing are (when compared to price paid). I developed this view after 15 years if fitting welding and metal working. I can assure you companies are getting away with the bare minimum in quality, and selling it as a premium product. Much of the time the safety is questionable too.

Amusement park rides/roller coasters are a prime example of this. After a few years of metal working, when I look at the welds on a ride, I'm scared to death. Cars are no different.

Unfortunately for you, free speech exists, you're welcome to ignore my posts if you like, as is anyone else who disagrees with me. Good day.
You can't take a hint can you? Take your whining somewhere else. An opinion is one thing. Whining on every other thread is another.

I didn't read all the posts, but the color temperature makes a world of difference also. The more yellow they are, the dimmer they are.
That's partially true. The natural color, depending on the salts used, is around 4300k - 4800k. Go any higher (bluer) or any lower (yellower) and you lose lumens.

It was the osram,(looked identical to the original), Nightbreaker from Headlight Revolution
Those should be good bulbs. No familiarity with that company though, hopefully they're legit bulbs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Sorry for not checking in for a couple of days.
I aimed the headlights and they were a bit too high. I also took out the bulbs and cleaned the lenses with alcohol. Some residue did come off.
conclusion: still the worst headlights I’ve ever had in a car by a large margin.
I also agree with the comments about how much of a rip off these cars are (I kind of knew that going into it so I’m not complaining too much about that). Rental car quality at best and by far the worst resale value I have ever encountered. Needless to say, I’m getting rid of the car next week and going back to my imports.
thanks for everyone’s input 😅

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,444 Posts
Sorry for not checking in for a couple of days.
I aimed the headlights and they were a bit too high. I also took out the bulbs and cleaned the lenses with alcohol. Some residue did come off.
conclusion: still the worst headlights I’ve ever had in a car by a large margin.
I also agree with the comments about how much of a rip off these cars are (I kind of knew that going into it so I’m not complaining too much about that). Rental car quality at best and by far the worst resale value I have ever encountered. Needless to say, I’m getting rid of the car next week and going back to my imports.
thanks for everyone’s input 😅
Sorry your not happy with your ride. Resale value is very high right now so your very wrong about that. They sell for almost what they go for new. Just do a AutoTrader search on the last few years and you will see very high re sale value.
I think you made a mistake by buying the Wide body which does not have drivers or fog lights. Most cars today have them and not having them I think sucks and is one of the things that steered me away from the awesome looking wide body model.
I had the HID's in my 2017 Durango which are Projector exact style as yours but I also had Drivers / fog lights and they lit up the road better then anything I have ever owned. My Son has a Audi S4 which also has HID's and his are supported with Drivers fog lights and same thing.
My Charger Scat Pack only has Holegen Bulbs which are not as good as HID's but with the Drivers Fog light support I have no issues on the darkest roads.
Good luck man with whatever you decide to do. Again sorry you don't enjoy the car, sucks man.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Sorry your not happy with your ride. Resale value is very high right now so your very wrong about that. They sell for almost what they go for new. Just do a AutoTrader search on the last few years and you will see very high re sale value.
I think you made a mistake by buying the Wide body which does not have drivers or fog lights. Most cars today have them and not having them I think sucks and is one of the things that steered me away from the awesome looking wide body model.
I had the HID's in my 2017 Durango which are Projector exact style as yours but I also had Drivers / fog lights and they lit up the road better then anything I have ever owned. My Son has a Audi S4 which also has HID's and his are supported with Drivers fog lights and same thing.
My Charger Scat Pack only has Holegen Bulbs which are not as good as HID's but with the Drivers Fog light support I have no issues on the darkest roads.
Good luck man with whatever you decide to do. Again sorry you don't enjoy the car, sucks man.
[/QUOTE
thanks for the very kind words! I do enjoy the car. It’s a blast to drive I tell ya and sounds amazing. I didn’t look twice at a non widebody just for the simple fact that that they (in my humble opinion) look like rental cars.
I think coming from Japanese cars to domestic is the issue. And I have had lots of people who tell me that once they bought an import they never went back.
I’m sure I’ll get a lot of hate for saying that but I stand buy it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just so y’all don’t think I’m insane, my friend has a 2020 challenger with the sage HID headlights and has the same exact issue. At night he drives his wife’s Nissan Murano with HID (from 2009) with no fog lights and they are much much much brighter.
When it stops raining I will try to take a good picture comparing the headlights in my Type-R and the charger

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,444 Posts
thanks for the very kind words! I do enjoy the car. It’s a blast to drive I tell ya and sounds amazing. I didn’t look twice at a non widebody just for the simple fact that that they (in my humble opinion) look like rental cars.
I think coming from Japanese cars to domestic is the issue. And I have had lots of people who tell me that once they bought an import they never went back.
I’m sure I’ll get a lot of hate for saying that but I stand buy it.
Your welcome man. I came from Imports myself and wanted to get away from them. I was a huge Nissan guy and before that BMW. My son rocks a Audi S4 which is an awesome car and I wouldn't mind finding a super clean low mileage 2015 Audio RS5. Probably one of my all time favorite cars. I may have to grab one one of these days.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Your welcome man. I came from Imports myself and wanted to get away from them. I was a huge Nissan guy and before that BMW. My son rocks a Audi S4 which is an awesome car and I wouldn't mind finding a super clean low mileage 2015 Audio RS5. Probably one of my all time favorite cars. I may have to grab one one of these days.
Nice! I’m a Nissan guy too but not as of lately as they have gone to poop. I still have a 95 240sx, 97 240sx, 91 Sentra SE-R and my trusty hardbody pickup. I’m not scared to drive any of them at night either 😁

·
Registered
169 Posts
I posted a review (if that's what you want to call it).. shorty after I bought the 2019 I made a cross country trip Coming back I had to follow a Truck because I couldn't see when it got dark....everything else about the car was great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I posted a review (if that's what you want to call it).. shorty after I bought the 2019 I made a cross country trip Coming back I had to follow a Truck because I couldn't see when it got dark....everything else about the car was great.
Im glad I’m not alone. I still don’t know anyone still uses HID in 2020. For the past 7 years or so everything I have purchased (I go they cars a lot) has had LED headlights. I know people say they are too bright and blind other drivers. That’s only true if they aren’t aimed properly or people are putting led bulbs in their halogen reflector headlights. I have never been flashed by incoming drivers driving anything with factory LED headlights. I took the civic for a short drive last night with the fog lights off and it was at least 100 times better.
im not knocking on HID because I have had several cars with them and they were great at the time.
I think FCA purchased too many HiD bulbs and ballasts in 1999 and are just trying to use them up.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts