Charger Forums banner

What do you think of the HID headlights?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and gals
I have a 2020 widebody charger with the factory HID headlights.
anyone else notice that the headlights are as close to useless as possible?
I have upgraded the hid bulbs and hardly a change.
May night on a wide open road I can barely see anything at all and when I flick on the high beams there’s little change.
dodge says it’s normal. I say it’s very dangerous.
I’m not even sure why anyone is still using HID instead of LED in 2020. Any input from anyone would be appreciated.
I have a civic type r and the led headlights are wonderful and I feel much safer driving it.
heck the sealed beam headlights in my 97 Nissan truck are MUCH brighter than the charger (no kidding)

·
Registered
627 Posts
As far as the high beams go, for those that don't know, there is only one bulb in projector headlights. This would be any 2015 charger or newer. You either get a halogen bulb or HID. There is a shield inside the housing the only let's the lower half of the light out on low beam. On high beam, the shield is moved and all of the light is allowed out. No change in bulb brightness. This will illuminate things above the car like interstate signs and such.

My HIDs seem to do ok. Not fantastic

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as the high beams go, for those that don't know, there is only one bulb in projector headlights. This would be any 2015 charger or newer. You either get a halogen bulb or HID. There is a shield inside the housing the only let's the lower half of the light out on low beam. On high beam, the shield is moved and all of the light is allowed out. No change in bulb brightness. This will illuminate things above the car like interstate signs and such.

My HIDs seem to do ok. Not fantastic
You are correct! The high beam shutter works fine. They just seem significantly dimmer than cars with hid that I had in the early 2000s

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Get a spare set of lights and replace the projector with a better one. Lots of better options that way.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
There must be something wrong with your setup, the HIDs in my 2016 are twice as bright as the regular halogens in my wife's 2016...as a matter of fact they are the best headlights I've ever had on a car and I've had at least 30 cars over the last 45 years.

Just tallied them up: 39 cars since 1972

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I went from a 2006 Halogen Charger to 2019 HID so they're much better but I agree with you they aren't fantastic or anything. The Halogens in my wife's Pilot are nearly as good.

Mopar hasn't been know for having strong headlights that's for sure.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I find all the bright expensive lights completely blinding from on coming cars. There are lots of times I can't see a damned thing the lights are so bright.

You only need to see the road ahead, not the world around while driving.

·
Registered
356 Posts
While not factory (I have a DD kit on my car) They are plenty bright for me. Maybe try aiming them a bit better. Mine are aimed a little high to cover the road better. Just enough as to not blind others(mostly)
I'd say they are comparable to the factory HID's I had on the CSRT8 I had.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There must be something wrong with your setup, the HIDs in my 2016 are twice as bright as the regular halogens in my wife's 2016...as a matter of fact they are the best headlights I've ever had on a car and I've had at least 30 cars over the last 45 years.

Just tallied them up: 39 cars since 1972
There really might be something wrong with mine. I’m a mechanic by trade (Nissan) and maybe there is something wrong with them... I am comparing them to vehicles I own and work on and so far nothing comes close to how poor the light output is.
the local dodge dealer said they were fine. I found that funny because there was a gentleman behind me in the service one with a challenger and complaining about the exact same thing I am.
I have owned a lot of cars. If I told you how many, I would get called a liar🤣.
Do you typically buy American cars? I’m just trying to compare

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find all the bright expensive lights completely blinding from on coming cars. There are lots of times I can't see a damned thing the lights are so bright.

I don’t want to blind anyone. I can’t see much even with no one around. I live in the country and on the constant lookout for deer and other animals.
I have started to drive the civic at night because the led lights are very bright and crisp. The beam is also very precise and does not blind people

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While not factory (I have a DD kit on my car) They are plenty bright for me. Maybe try aiming them a bit better. Mine are aimed a little high to cover the road better. Just enough as to not blind others(mostly)
I'd say they are comparable to the factory HID's I had on the CSRT8 I had.
I will try to aim or at least check the aim when I get to the shop on Monday.
I haven’t had the car all that long and decided to make a 6 hour trip to South Carolina last night. Not a lot of traffic on i95 heading south and still couldn’t see much. I ended up staying at a hotel and finished the drive when the sun came up.
by the way I’m 34 with 20/20 vision so that can be ruled out hahah
I appreciate everyone’s input!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Maybe if you'd clean the glass on your horse and buggy it'd be easier for you to see with your oil lamp hanging out front.

Too much work and money spent to fix FCA’s poor engineering lol
But realistically, that's what your option is if you aren't happy. Either replace projectors or find some aftermarket lights that work better (which you likely won't).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe if you'd clean the glass on your horse and buggy it'd be easier for you to see with your oil lamp hanging out front.

But realistically, that's what your option is if you aren't happy. Either replace projectors or find some aftermarket lights that work better (which you likely won't).
You do have a point there. If I can’t make them better by aiming them, I’ll cut my loses and get rid of the car. I don’t have the patience for DIY anymore. The last thing I want to do after working on cars all day is go home and work on my own cars some more

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
There must be something wrong with yours.

I came from Halogen in my 2010 R/T to the HIDs in my 2013 Super Bee. I find them to be good. They're much brighter than the Halogen bulbs in my wife's 2018 Infiniti.

Are they aimed too low?

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,438 Posts
your wide body doesn't have Fog Lights or Driving lights as some call them. I bet your use to having headlights and the support by the driving lights.
The HID's are fantastic. It is possible you need them looked at.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
your wide body doesn't have Fog Lights or Driving lights as some call them. I bet your use to having headlights and the support by the driving lights.
The HID's are fantastic. It is possible you need them looked at.
I wish there was any for flight option for this car as I would be all over it! I have cars with and without fog lights and so far everything is better than the charger.
mom driving back to Virginia tomorrow and will check the aim on Monday.
On a side note, 2013-2015 Nissan Altima came with hazy projectors from the factory allowing very little light to pass thru. I wonder if something like that could be going on here....
I will post my aim findings on monday

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There must be something wrong with yours.

I came from Halogen in my 2010 R/T to the HIDs in my 2013 Super Bee. I find them to be good. They're much brighter than the Halogen bulbs in my wife's 2018 Infiniti.

Are they aimed too low?
If it is indeed a aim issue, they would be too high just because high beam doesn’t give me any extra beam on the road.
I would try to aim them right now but I don’t have whats needed to do so

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
can you find a wall you can point the lights at that's at least 15-20 feet away and post a picture of the beam that can show the beam pattern well (hotspot visible)? Something like this?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts