Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two quick questions:

Is there a forum with all TSB's on SRT's?

Do any of you SRT owners not use premium gas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
366 Posts
Two quick questions:

Is there a forum with all TSB's on SRT's?

Do any of you SRT owners not use premium gas?

Thanks in advance
Well I'm not sure about the first question but I know most use premium while others use a lesser rating but have an addative to balance it out.
It's usually one or the other.

I never heard of anyone using 87 or 91 by itself in the SRT engine.

Hope this helps at all lol :beerchug:

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I have heard of people not using Premium on trips with no adverse effect but why bother?

Why would anyone do this? Lets do the math. The price between 89 and 91 octane fuel in my area is about $0.10 per gallon. Lets say you drive 16,000 per year (the national average is 10-12K), averaging 16mpg, then by using 89 octane you could save $100 per year. Wow $100!

It is proven that premium fuels run cleaner and better in cars. So going the cheap route is just plain silly to save a dollar or two.

If you cannot afford the extra $100 per year, you shouldn't own a SRT8. It is that simple as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have heard of people not using Premium on trips with no adverse effect but why bother?

Why would anyone do this? Lets do the math. The price between 89 and 91 octane fuel in my area is about $0.10 per gallon. Lets say you drive 16,000 per year (the national average is 10-12K), averaging 16mpg, then by using 89 octane you could save $100 per year. Wow $100!

It is proven that premium fuels run cleaner and better in cars. So going the cheap route is just plain silly to save a dollar or two.

If you cannot afford the extra $100 per year, you shouldn't own a SRT8. It is that simple as far as I am concerned.

No doubt. Several stations around here have specials on premium on certain days of the week. Tuesday at the Gate is .07 off premium! Just remembered that i need to fill up today.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
;)

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
One thing to watch out is with the mid-grade fuels. In my area, the octane rating for mid-grade is 89. I know the manual recommends 91 and up, so this won't matter for most of us.

My friend drives a semi, and he often delivers fuel to gas stations. Since 87 is the largest seller, gas stations order that more than 89, 91, or 93. He told me that if there is extra low grade fuel on the truck (the 87 fuel tanks at the station are full), the drivers are instructed to put the extra 87 in the mid-grade tanks. So the 89 octane that you are paying for could be mostly 87. He told me that this is very common, but he has never seen a situation where drivers put the extra 87 in the 91 or 93 tanks. I'm sure that may happen too.

Just something to think about. The 10 cents difference in price between the low and mid grade is probably a bigger difference than the octane difference.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
One thing to watch out is with the mid-grade fuels. In my area, the octane rating for mid-grade is 89.
Yeah, this is what gets me-

You basically just have to watch out where you buy gas in general, I used to work at Sam's Club so i just filled up there for about a month or so considering gas was 4.50+ a gallon then and almost a dollar cheaper per gallon right at my work-It was "93 Octane" fuel, that basically made my high 12second car hard to even get a 13.5 out of.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
One thing to watch out is with the mid-grade fuels. In my area, the octane rating for mid-grade is 89. I know the manual recommends 91 and up, so this won't matter for most of us.

My friend drives a semi, and he often delivers fuel to gas stations. Since 87 is the largest seller, gas stations order that more than 89, 91, or 93. He told me that if there is extra low grade fuel on the truck (the 87 fuel tanks at the station are full), the drivers are instructed to put the extra 87 in the mid-grade tanks. So the 89 octane that you are paying for could be mostly 87. He told me that this is very common, but he has never seen a situation where drivers put the extra 87 in the 91 or 93 tanks. I'm sure that may happen too.

Just something to think about. The 10 cents difference in price between the low and mid grade is probably a bigger difference than the octane difference.

My understanding is that there is no '89'. They have premium (91/93) and Regs (87). The two are mixed when 89 is selected.

Now i don't know for certain, but i think that's how it works. So if they run out of the premium, maybe then the situation you described would happen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yea, I'm not sure how that works either. In the Chicago area its 87, 89, and 93. If you don't want to pay for the 93, then go with the 87 then. Why pay more and not get anything (or very little) better.

·
Registered
345 Posts

x3

If your worried about gas or grades of gas, should definitely stray away from an SRT. I was using 93 until BP decided that they were going to change to 91 :rolleyes2: I just may change gas stations now because of that...

·
Registered
89 Posts
x3

If your worried about gas or grades of gas, should definitely stray away from an SRT. I was using 93 until BP decided that they were going to change to 91 :rolleyes2: I just may change gas stations now because of that...
I go to Shell or BP, but I haven't heard about BP changing. What's the deal. Their Ultimate is still labeled 93 octane in the Chicago area. Where do you live?

I see in your post, you live in Madison, Wis. Has BP changed 93 to 91 up there?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts

Can't say this for the SRT since it's tuned for the 91 or better octane, but in most of the cars on the road designed to run on 87 octane, running a higher octane rating will hurt performance and lower your gas mileage. Back in the day when gas first topped $2 a gallon, I refused to spend that much on gas($2 a gallon seems cheap now) so I took my high performance PCM out of my truck and put the stock one back in so I could run the "cheap" 87 octane fuel. Well, doing that also lowered my gas mileage enough to offset any difference in price. Put my Mopar PCM back in the truck(which required 91octane) but started using 89 octane. I got better gas mileage running 89 than I ever did running 91, had no detonation problems(your results may vary), and the truck was quicker on the drag strip as well.

Here in Nebraska and Iowa, 89 octane is the "cheap" gas due to them promoting the ethanol blend they use in the 89 octane. 87 iss actually 10 cents a gallon more than 89. Anyways, in my work car('05 Dodge Stratus with the 2.7L flex fuel motor) I get a consitant 3mpg better fuel economy running 87 octane over running the E-10 89 octane and the car is a lot more "peppy".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts