Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DUB Edition 3.5L
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank god I wasn't on the highway, i was making a left turn and as i came out and accelerated i heart two clunks. went to hit the brakes and something was very clearly wrong and my steering felt wrong.

The upper ball joint came completely out of socket, my tire is on a gangster lean at the top. I know what i'm doing tomorrow! Lucky me i was right by home and limped to my parking spot about 500 feet away. Unlucky for me i will be fixing it in the freezing rain tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,995 Posts
Crikey! :willy_nilly:

Glad you and the rest of the car are okay. :)

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
It is recommended that both Uppers should be changed at the same time, not something you wanted to hear I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
It is recommended that both Uppers should be changed at the same time, not something you wanted to hear I'm sure.
I agree and at the same time do the pair or lowers on each side and replace all 6 with greasable ones from moog!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Yikes! That's enough to make anyone nervous!

I agree with the others, after a failure like that, replace them all!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It was good you weren't on the highway. I got lucky as well, mine fell out when I put on the last rim. After installing the lowering kit.

Sent from Galaxy.....S4 that is

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
this is a great post...however the point we are missing is that ball joints don't just come apart. This one has been failing for a long time and making a lot of noise before the failure occurred. This looks like a ball joint that has been klunking for 30k miles, I am glad no one was hurt but a lack of paying attention to the car caused the separation...

·
Registered
2008 DUB Edition 3.5L
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is a great post...however the point we are missing is that ball joints don't just come apart. This one has been failing for a long time and making a lot of noise before the failure occurred. This looks like a ball joint that has been klunking for 30k miles, I am glad no one was hurt but a lack of paying attention to the car caused the separation...
Thats the thing i just started hearing a clunk the night before. And i started by tightening the cross brace. No more clunk till it came apart. I have around 2900 miles on it since i bought it.

The rest will be replaced also after the holiday.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2008 DUB Edition 3.5L
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced it easy as pie. Then about 20 minutes later i swerved into a parking lot to avoid a guy driving the wrong way right at me. Parking lot was all ice the car spun around and slide drivers side into a curb at about 15mph.

Grand total? I ended up replacing (additionally) the drivers side inner and putter tie rod as well as the rim. Went ahead and replaced the same parts on the passanger side. Will do lower ball joints in spring.

Goes for an alignment tkmorrow. My front bumper is cracked behind the corner light and the inner fender cover is ripped.

Been a long day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,995 Posts
Awww, mannnn... I don't believe it! It never rains but it pours, eh? :cry:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Had that happen to me 20 years ago,...

...in my wife's Fiero, (don't laugh, that thing was a blast). We had literally just gotten off I 264 in Portsmouth and were pulling into the Naval Hospital driveway when the front end collapsed, ball joint busted clear through. Scary part was five minutes early I was doing 75+ up on 264, had it gone then I don't think I'd be here writing this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts