Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
upgrading the cam in my 5.7L R/T

Ok, so I have been thinking about upgrading the cam in my 5.7L. I was looking at this cam:

6.1L Factory Replacement Camshaft, part #5037379AC, $103

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/6-1l-oem-camshaft5037379ac.html
But was told that it may actually hurt my low end by some people who had tired it.

Then I started looking at this cam:
5.7L HEMI (MDS) Performance Camshaft, Part #P5153570, $736 and it include som lifters.
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/5-7l-hemi-mds-performance-camshaftp5153570.html
But, someone also suggest a performance cam that was after market like a 203 or something like that, it cost about $450. So, what I was wondering is what do people think? My Charger is a daily driver too.

thanks
Brian

·
Vendor
791 Posts
Personally, I don't recommend swapping the 6.1L cam into the 5.7L's because both engines respond differently to cams. The 6.1L stock cam is a nice mild cam but it would perform much better and give you a better power curve if it were built with more advancement in it. The 5.7L takes to advancement beautifully in a cam whereas the 6.1L doesn't need it. I would suggest that for the price installed (unless you're performing the swap yourself), you can spend a little more and get much better performance gains.

The second cam, with lifters, is a more suitable choice for the 5.7L but this cam still is not a top performer in it's class. I would be curious to see what gains people have gotten from this cam, realistictly. I would be surprised to see even a 25 rwhp gain.

My recommendations are to look at something like our HHP/BES Stage 1 cam. It needs no special accomodations such as lifters or upgraded valve springs and is designed to be installed by itself and make great performance numbers in the range of 35 +/- 5 rwhp depending on other mods. If you want something a little bit more aggressive, you will need to start upgrading more and more parts (lifters, valve springs, tuning) and at the same time the cost starts going up fairly quick. I have no problems recommending any of our Stage 1 or Stage 2 engine packages or parts for an everyday driver.

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call at anytime. I can give you more information on our engine parts.

Joshua, HHP

·
Registered
416 Posts
cam... installed by itself and make great performance numbers in the range of 35 +/- 5 rwhp depending on other mods....

Joshua, HHP
Hi Josh,

I'm a little confused, you mention on your website that.."...we will severely under-rate this cam and only claim a 40 horsepower increase from just our cam. We will revise our numbers as we test this cam further...."

But above your claiming 30 rwhp (35 - 5 assuming that mean no mods) with only a cam.

Can you please clear up my confusion...

Thanks,
Brady

·
Registered
622 Posts
Cam or Rockers?

Josh (and others in the know),

Is there a set of Higher than stock ratio lifters available for the 5.7 hemi?

In my experience if you do not want to harm daily drivers, a little more lift can improve the breathing without causing grief in other areas, and of course there is the ease of install Vs. a cam. Is this true for the 5.7 with MDS?

Does swapping a stage 1 cam in require other mods? Does it harm daily driveablility, smog or require PCM mods?

Thx. :)

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Josh (and others in the know),

Is there a set of Higher than stock ratio lifters available for the 5.7 hemi?

In my experience if you do not want to harm daily drivers, a little more lift can improve the breathing without causing grief in other areas, and of course there is the ease of install Vs. a cam. Is this true for the 5.7 with MDS?

Does swapping a stage 1 cam in require other mods? Does it harm daily driveablility, smog or require PCM mods?

Thx. :)
he just said in the second post you can just put the stage 1 in with nothing else needed.

·
Vendor
791 Posts
Brady, our rating of 40 horsepower is the equivalent of 33 rear wheel horsepower when you factor in the 17.8% drivetrain loss. We've seen 40+ horsepower gains at the wheels on some cars but heads and cams are very dependant on all of the supporting mods like exhaust, intake, etc. that you have on your Charger. We would rather underestimate and overdeliver. Heads and cam are no an exact science - for instance we were at the track today and one 5.7L car running a popular competitor's heads and cam gained over half a second from this mod and another one gained only 2/10ths in the quarter mile with the same exact setup. Our gains don't fluctuate nearly that much because we're lucky enough not to have some of the issues others have, but we do see differences from car to car.

All you need are 6.1L or 03-05 truck 5.7L lifters for the non-mds conversion. There's no aftermarket lifters nor has a need been seen for them. There's also no quality rockers that we've seen, too. We would like to get our hands on a good set but that's still in the design phases. One day we'll have some.

Joshua, HHP

·
Registered
423 Posts
Check these threads for more info on the 6.1 cam. I would say that if you are going to pay a bundle of $$$$ to have a shop install it for you, the savings becomes alot less as labor can run 800-1000 dollars easy for a cam change.

I'll be going to a 6.1 cam and springs as I got them from a forum member for a very good price and will do the labor myself.

ANother one to seriously consider is the Sidewinder by Franks Racing.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=49542 (mooreO652's thread, he's a dodge mech that just did the swap)

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=50761 (my thread about advancing the 6.1 cam or not, hemi~c~'s response about the 6.1 cam being 2 degrees advanced with the 5.7 gearset is a gem.)

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=78912 ( a short thread at lxforums regarding the advance issue, stu392's post regarding the truck boys is particularly enlightening.)

Peace, Out

Mark

·
Registered
416 Posts
Brady, our rating of 40 horsepower is the equivalent of 33 rear wheel horsepower when you factor in the 17.8% drivetrain loss. We've seen 40+ horsepower gains at the wheels on some cars but heads and cams are very dependant on all of the supporting mods like exhaust, intake, etc. that you have on your Charger. We would rather underestimate and overdeliver. Heads and cam are no an exact science - for instance we were at the track today and one 5.7L car running a popular competitor's heads and cam gained over half a second from this mod and another one gained only 2/10ths in the quarter mile with the same exact setup. Our gains don't fluctuate nearly that much because we're lucky enough not to have some of the issues others have, but we do see differences from car to car.

All you need are 6.1L or 03-05 truck 5.7L lifters for the non-mds conversion. There's no aftermarket lifters nor has a need been seen for them. There's also no quality rockers that we've seen, too. We would like to get our hands on a good set but that's still in the design phases. One day we'll have some.

Joshua, HHP
Thank you Josh,

All clear and good here!

Sorry for the hic-up in your thread bremo76.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
With our 5.7 Road Warrior, we have gained 40+rwhp at 6000rpm in a truck with a 24% driveline loss. IN a car, that would have been about a 45rwhp gain and that is also with no tuning other than a superchips flashpaq. No other mods were installed but the cam. Still running on stock sprins. Here is the before and after dyno. This is also our smallest cam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts