Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this last Thursday while I was cleaning my car, seems that my right exhaust tip/pipe is lower then the left. So far it hasn't affected the performance or driveability. Here are some pictures so you see what I see, if you have any idea's on how to fix, please feel free to post. I'm guessing its the bar holding up the pipe that you see in the 3rd picture

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I noticed this last Thursday while I was cleaning my car, seems that my right exhaust tip/pipe is lower then the left. So far it hasn't affected the performance or driveability. Here are some pictures so you see what I see, if you have any idea's on how to fix, please feel free to post. I'm guessing its the bar holding up the pipe that you see in the 3rd picture
It does look slightly lower - but not too noticeable (to me). Was the engine hot/cold?

It won't change the performance of the driveability - don't worry about that. It's the length, construction and the width of the system that matters TBH. Although severe 'kinkage' would possibly create issues - I don't see that in this case.

You could try bending the hanging bracket to take up some of the slack. Personally, I don't think it's bad enough to warrant an attempt at a fix, but I know as it's your ride - you might disagree! :)

Mine aren't 'exactly' level and I haven't seen mant twin pipes which are exactly the same height - most are close, but if I got down there and started measuring, I'm sure I would find differences in just about everyone's.

Arf

·
Registered
383 Posts
After looking at your post I take a closer look at my car and notice the same thing I've had my car over a month so I just hope the dealer doesn't accuse me of hitting anything

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Oh - and mine sags very slightly on the right side also...... :)

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
It seems there is a price to pay for assembly line mass produced cars.
Yes...that could be the problem.... Or it could be that this system is pretty big and pretty heavy and to get all of the pipes exactly aligned would be 1) extremely difficult and 2) take far too long (with the associated cost being passed to the customer).

I guess there's a point where any misalignment is so noticeable that they should pick it up on the pre-delivery inspection. Anything less than that probably gets through - I bet they even have a tolerence for pipe 'levelness'..... :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ok heres what you do....buy a large hose clamp similar to this.

Put it around the rubber hanger on the side that is lower and just tighten the hose clamp til even. It will compress the rubber just enough to bring the tip up slightly. I'm anal, it bugged the hell out of me. Buy a stainless one if possible

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know it was a common thing with dual exhaust, all I've ever owned was single exhaust. For the hose clamp though, would I have to worry about the clamp cutting through the rubber from the vibration and/or movement of the car?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
yea thats a good idea with the hose clamp. mine is the same way on the right side.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I was able to even mine up by loosening the clamps ahead of the suitcase muffler and rotating the muffler. Doing that changes the pipe angles a little. Have a friend check the alignment of the tips as you rotate the muffler and the retighten the clamps once the tips are even.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine was ok, then I cut off the stock suitcase and welded in a Daytona. Now, my right hangs a lil lower as well, but that could be my fault...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I didn't know it was a common thing with dual exhaust, all I've ever owned was single exhaust. For the hose clamp though, would I have to worry about the clamp cutting through the rubber from the vibration and/or movement of the car?
No sir there shouldn't be a problem, I've had mine on for about 6 months and nothing, took a look today as a matter of fact. They're about 1/2" to 3/4" wide depending on what you buy so its not like it'll be cutting into anything because its super narrow. I mean its very cheap and quick, just will need something like a thumb driver to get it screwed on.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
you don't need the hose clamps... In fact I would suggest that is not the way to do it.

My car was the same way. I took it to the dealership and told them about it. They took care of me, and they were nice and level afterwards.

When I did the Blastin' Bobs I figured out what they had done. They took about 4 or 5 cut washers and used them to space the bolt on the rearmost exhaust hanger on the driver's side. I ended up having to use those same washers when I did the BB mod.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same problem. I took it back and had it fixed under warranty. The ironic part is that when they put it up on the lift and they scapped the bottom of the car and bent the heatshield around the suitcase. They initially tried to say that I hit something and that I caused the damage and the uneven exhaust. After some "heated" discussions, they finally decided that it was in there best interest to fix everything under warranty. I was really upset that they tried to say I damaged it, When I accually did not.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I think they all hang a little low on one side. My JBA system does as well

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ok heres what you do....buy a large hose clamp similar to this.

Put it around the rubber hanger on the side that is lower and just tighten the hose clamp til even. It will compress the rubber just enough to bring the tip up slightly. I'm anal, it bugged the hell out of me. Buy a stainless one if possible
If it's not to much to ask for but pictures please. My left side (Magnaflow) is really low.

Thi sounds like a great idea; and simple fix.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yep, mine uneven too. Noticed that most all of em are like that, well at least the ones on the dealership yard when I picked mine up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts