Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should i get a uynderdrive pully or a 90 mm throttle body. is their any improvments with a throttle body with the current mods i have.wich are airaid intake diablo 93 tune an a exhaust. throttle body islike 500 an pullys are 250 do i need to go to the stealershp to get the car calibrated fopr the new throttle body.

so what you guys think would be a more effective choice thanks .

·
Registered
168 Posts
should i get a uynderdrive pully or a 90 mm throttle body. is their any improvments with a throttle body with the current mods i have.wich are airaid intake diablo 93 tune an a exhaust. throttle body islike 500 an pullys are 250 do i need to go to the stealershp to get the car calibrated fopr the new throttle body.

so what you guys think would be a more effective choice thanks .
The 90mm TB may be too much for your mods (you want to keep the intake air velocity high)- check out the smaller sizes such as 85mm from modern muscle. You can get these for much less than $500 too.

Not sure which mod is better, but the TB is much easier to install and should be plug and play (no trip to the dealer).

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
The 90mm TB may be too much for your mods (you want to keep the intake air velocity high)- check out the smaller sizes such as 85mm from modern muscle. You can get these for much less than $500 too.

Not sure which mod is better, but the TB is much easier to install and should be plug and play (no trip to the dealer).
yes, the TB will be much easier... you could always get a ported throttle body from Billet Tech...

I'm sure the pulley will net you more hp/tq gains but there's a lot more involved with the install

·
Registered
183 Posts
My suggestion is get both!

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Unless your running a F/I setup, and have an very heavy breathing vehicle, a 90mm TB for your mods will be too much and give you problems.

You can have billet tech do a ported 85mm TB for you on a stock casting for under $200 I believe. I have one and its a deff throttle improvement

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Someone explained it to me once before, but I seem to have forgotten. Can some one tell me what a different pulley would do?

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Someone explained it to me once before, but I seem to have forgotten. Can some one tell me what a different pulley would do?
Im sure someone else will chime in with a much better explanation, but for the most, and underdrive pully slows down the speed the accesories spin at freeing up more power. It is said, there could be electrical problems with some of the accesories because of this, but so far I dont think anyone with an LX has reported that

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much is involed in installing the pully dont you just use a puller to remove it a then reinstall the new one. how much hp will i get with a 85 mm throttle body? anyone know

·
Registered
2020 Sinamon Stick Charger Scatpack
233 Posts
I vote pulley. Took me about an hour and a half to do. Noticeable improvement in performance. Throttlebody would be better after heads and/or cam.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I say save your $$$ and do both with a Cam, you have to take the pulley off to do a cam install and for the TB you only gain about 5-10hp (depends on which one you get)

Thats my 2cents

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Im sure someone else will chime in with a much better explanation, but for the most, and underdrive pully slows down the speed the accesories spin at freeing up more power. It is said, there could be electrical problems with some of the accesories because of this, but so far I dont think anyone with an LX has reported that
Ok, I think I get it. If I understand it correctly, a smaller pulley would slow down the accessory ran by the belt?

·
Registered
55 Posts
you dont really add power ... more like free it up. Your eng wont have to spin the accesories as fast so doesnt have to work as hard = more hp

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
the 90mm tb is too much for your mods... i'd suggest the regular poerted tb from billet tech or modern muscle, also the pulley imo would not give much improvement for your setup.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
you dont really add power ... more like free it up. Your eng wont have to spin the accesories as fast so doesnt have to work as hard = more hp
Bingo.

Driving the accessories with the serpentine belt is extra parasitic work for the engine. Your engine is basically just a power source to perform work. If you want more of that work to go towards spinning the wheels, you need to "take work away" from some of the other duties the engine performs.

Changing the throttle body is theoretically going to allow the engine to do more work. So that is attacking the problem (finding more energy to drive the wheels) from a different angle...boosting overall power rather than redirecting it from one job to another.

So doing both mods would result in the biggest difference in output to the wheels. It's anyone's guess which individual mod is going to provide more grunt to the wheels. I suspect in your case it would be the underdrive pulley, but we're only talking a percent or two increase in HP here, at most.

Best,

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I dont believe that a car with your mods needs more than the stock 80mm TB. You wont see much (if any) power increase and the "throttle response" that you think has gotten better will be 1/2 in your head. Not worth 500 bucks to me.

I agree with mopar610 and others. Save your cash, get the 85mm TB, UDP, and heads/cam and have it all done at once. That'll save some cash on install, and then you will feel a bit more out of the TB and ALOT more power at once.

·
Registered
898 Posts
why dont you put some new gears in there?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont believe that a car with your mods needs more than the stock 80mm TB. You wont see much (if any) power increase and the "throttle response" that you think has gotten better will be 1/2 in your head. Not worth 500 bucks to me.

I agree with mopar610 and others. Save your cash, get the 85mm TB, UDP, and heads/cam and have it all done at once. That'll save some cash on install, and then you will feel a bit more out of the TB and ALOT more power at once.
thats around like $3,000 isn't it?

lets get a lil personal here lol. when i bought this car i was working two jobs one third shift at 17$ an hour 40 hours a week. the other is autozone like 5 to 10 hours a week at 10 an hour. just to keep my foot in the door. well at 87 days my third shift job '' let me go'' an 6 others. so now i get like 22 to 30 hours a week at the zone. so after my car payment an full coverage i got about 100$ left for two weeks. i get payed every 2 weeks. so $3000 mod is out of the question unless i sell my truck an thats not happnen lol. im selling my sound system and some other misc things to pay for the power mods i want. but i really dont want to drop 3gs in my car at this time lol

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
why dont you put some new gears in there?
i have a friend with a daytona who just did some 3.90 gears an he broke his axles just becaise of the gears. so im kinda worried about doing that mod. i would like to race him but he wont cuzz of his axles now he bought the upgraded axles but a supercharger at the same time an their gettin installed togeather so now a race to justify the gears is pointless lol. where can i look at gears at tho got a site i can try?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

lets get a lil personal here lol. when i bought this car i was working two jobs one third shift at 17$ an hour 40 hours a week. the other is autozone like 5 to 10 hours a week at 10 an hour. just to keep my foot in the door. well at 87 days my third shift job '' let me go'' an 6 others. so now i get like 22 to 30 hours a week at the zone. so after my car payment an full coverage i got about 100$ left for two weeks. i get payed every 2 weeks. so $3000 mod is out of the question unless i sell my truck an thats not happnen lol. im selling my sound system and some other misc things to pay for the power mods i want. but i really dont want to drop 3gs in my car at this time lol[/QUOTE

I didn't spend that much on all my mods(in my sig) you dont have to do heads but I would do a Cam before the TB or pulley(the Cam is the best bang for buck mod out there):beerchug:

Just look for deals on here and the other forums people are always selling there cams cheap!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

lets get a lil personal here lol. when i bought this car i was working two jobs one third shift at 17$ an hour 40 hours a week. the other is autozone like 5 to 10 hours a week at 10 an hour. just to keep my foot in the door. well at 87 days my third shift job '' let me go'' an 6 others. so now i get like 22 to 30 hours a week at the zone. so after my car payment an full coverage i got about 100$ left for two weeks. i get payed every 2 weeks. so $3000 mod is out of the question unless i sell my truck an thats not happnen lol. im selling my sound system and some other misc things to pay for the power mods i want. but i really dont want to drop 3gs in my car at this time lol[/QUOTE

I didn't spend that much on all my mods(in my sig) you dont have to do heads but I would do a Cam before the TB or pulley(the Cam is the best bang for buck mod out there):beerchug:

Just look for deals on here and the other forums people are always selling there cams cheap!!
buying a used cam is that a good idea?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts