Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering undercoating the car.....well just because of all that calcium chloride they use on the roads now......If I happen to go out and they salt...well I don't want the car to be eaten. One good thing I noticed is the brake lines are coated on my charger.....Hopefully that will keep them a little longer on the car...:grin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think its a waste. I had a 92 Deville, and it had always been a Illinois car. There was very little rust anywhere on or under that car. I think modern cars must be galvenized before they are primed and painted. Any cherry car from the 80's and earlier I think its wise to undercoat.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Hold on - undercoating and rustproofing are ENTIRELY different things.

Check your rust-through warranty.

Undercoating just makes a big ugly mess under the car and supposedly insulates it and keeps it from rusting underneath.

Rustproofing isn't needed anymore and it's a stupid dealer-profit item. In the mid-90s it was sold as a "gas" injected in the drain holes, coating the interior metal and is only good for rush-through.

Neither are needed and are crap. Shame on dealers that still push it. I don't think they are even ALLOWED to sell it in California. Illinois is still in the dark ages if they sell it.

Don't bother with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm considering undercoating the car.....
I think it all depends on where you live. I'm in an area with terrible weather alot of the time, wet Springs and Autumns, snowy Winters and sometimes crap Summers (somehow I still live here:frown:).

During the winter the roads are coated in salt. Since I plan on keeping the Charger for a long time, it was a worthwhile investment to get the lifetime guarantee against erosion. Not the first time that I might have wasted money and won't be the last.

If I lived in a sunny climate, I would probably pass.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I had a 91 Ford Taurus SHO with over 100k miles of Chicago winters and road salt. I can't tell you how many times the car was GRAY with salt in the cold winters (one winter it was 20 below ZERO!).

It never had rust through, just a tiny spot of surface rust from a crap Ford paint job. No undercoating no rust proofing on that car.

If a '91 Ford can make it, your car can do a LOT better.

DON'T DO IT.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My SXT is in the shop for rustproofing this weekend. I figured its a small price to pay for extra insurance against rust.
I'm having it done because my Intrepid began to rust out on the very bottom frame (under the doors) trim after about 8-9 yrs even though I had religiously pressure washed including underneath and because I will try to keep this car until the wheels fall of and of course because of the chemicals they spread on the road here in northern Ohio.

I have the pleasure of installing all the bells and whistles on new cop cars where I work and every cop car has that brown goop inside the fenders and panels.

The only thing to watch out for is find a company that does NOT drill holes in the body to inject the goop. The place that's doing my car uses long wands to inject the stuff in various factory made holes. There is no need to make more holes in the car.

-GB

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I had mine shot last year from the dealer...not expensive or messy either. I store my car for the winter months...but humidity is a killer too on those early morning spring and autumn days. I just wanted added protection.:grin:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Do it. 'Specially if it's an oil-based spray treatment. It's a pain in the ass to deal with for the 1st week or two, the stuff's all leaking and stinking up the car. But that foul film protects all sorts of nooks and crannies over the winter which can be pressure-washed off the next spring.
Case in point is under the hood. Drive a few times in calcium-ridden slush (as I did) and you'll notice that the edges of sheetmetal around the engine compartment start to "whiten" or lose their shine. Alum. components start to oxidize and so on. If you spray the car every fall and then pressure-wash every spring, your engine compartment will look like new forever.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
When we purchased the car in Jan/Feb there was still snow on the ground. Didn't want it to get rusty so we had it undercoated. If this is your daily driver I would have it done. At the time we were going to be using ours as a daily driver now we have it put away as we have worked it out to purchase a daily driver. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I still have a can or two of undercoating spray....I used it on my Daytona Ram because I had to drive it last winter....I think I'll do the same on the Charger.....at least spray the inside fender wells where Dodge forgets to put primer or paint.....The spray I used I got at VIP Auto Parts....It's an oil base and never drys, which helps keep everything nice.......

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Remember there is a difference between undercoating and rustproofing. Both are banned in some areas - guess why? Snake oil.

Also, dealer cost is maybe $150 for undercoating, $100 or less for rust proofing. HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY??

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Snake oil you say...I am stationed in upstate NY at Ft. Drum which is like 80 miles north of Syracuse. If anyone knows of that area, you know that is lies on a snow belt which means tons of snow, which means tons of ice and salt on the roads! Temps are below 15-20 degrees on a daily basis so there is no "i'm going to go to the carwash and spray the salt and sand off the car"! I see too many 1990-200? cars with horrible rust problems! When I first bought my Charger, that was the FIRST mod put on the car. Since my car was bought in GA, there was no rustproofing or undercoating offered, but it was a rule of thumb by the people of the community in upstate NY!

I'm not saying that your car will rust out in one or two winters, but I will say you have a better chance of it not occuring at all if you get the rustproofing or undercoating! Some places offer warranties behind it as well and if I'm not mistaken, the company that did mine has a pretty good warranty. It was done by ziebarts...you might be able to google them! Only thing was, like someone else mentioned, your car is going to STINK for a couple of weeks...almost like something is burning, but eventually it goes away! It also leaves this kind of gewy residue at certain openings, but they gave me some stuff to remover it with!

I don't regret getting it done since it gave me a piece of mind and I for one will not say it is snake oil! Haven't seen a person yet with a car that has rusted that has had it done!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Remember there is a difference between undercoating and rustproofing. Both are banned in some areas - guess why? Snake oil.

Also, dealer cost is maybe $150 for undercoating, $100 or less for rust proofing. HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY??
Banned...where? I could see it not being offered, but not banned! Wouldn't expect it to be offered to the majority of the states below the Mason Dixon line because there is no purpose for it! Anything in the New England area and upper mid-west/western states....of course!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
the rustproofing is typically B/S, half the times when they spray inside the doors, trunk, or hood, they clog the weep holes, which just leads for it to rusting anyhow because now that water has no where to go.
then there is the drilling of holes inside the door jambs, which leads to rust to where they drilled the hole.

if the underside could be undercoated nice and neat wise and not get on everything i would do it, but i do have OCD about stuff like that.

my '99 Ram has the doors rusting at the bottom, its on its second set of doors already as well. i bought the truck new 9/99, and by 5/01 i was have the doors replaced because they were rusted out and the pinch seam.
i noticed the doors rusting again in '05, i sprayed the insides with undercoating and the amount of rust now is the same amount as when i noticed it. the underside is starting to rust now, so if i get any free time i will undercoat it to stop the rust that is already there.
i like the Duplicolor cans that AutoZone sells.

BTW, i live in Chicago as well, the road salt capitol of the world.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Exactly. My experience comes from over 100k miles in FORD, of all things, in Chicago - along with the rest of my families vehicles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts