Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First up, big thanks to Drew661 for the pics and guidance he provided, this was very easy especially knowing what I'm going to be looking at once I've started. This is probably not news to anyone, but maybe it helps someone out at some point who's worried about the steps.

This is on a 2014 SXT, FYI

Step one, you'll need a set of wire clippers, some electrical tape, and maybe some super glue in case the adhesive doesn't stick. Mine did, so no need.

Wrestle with clamshell packaging and eventually tear to shreads. Clip wires going to demo battery

Step two, pull under dash panel, mine had 2 plastic rivets right under the steering column near the front, easy to give a yank and they come right out. Notice my car only has 1 LED in the panel as opposed to Drew's pics, no matter where we're going we only need 1........(2nd Back to the Future reference in as many days). Remove plug to free panel completely.

Step 3. Wire up the strip and tape off the new connections, leaving enough existing wire in case you have to reverse this at a later date. Plug back in and test before re-installing panel. Repeat after me..."ooooooohhhhhh....aahhhhhh"

Step 4. Remove backing tape and stick to the underside of the panel in a nice neat line, trim off excess light strip at designated lines

Step 5. Reinstall panel and pop back into place

Step 6. Repeat on passenger side with no pedals to deal with.

Step 7. Lament the fact that it's the middle of the day and you'll have to wait til night to take effective pictures.

Step 8. Post pictures to forum.....punch self in face for fact that pictures are blurry and accept fact you'll be **** on mercilessly.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldn't have done it without your help Drew, all credit to you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You may want to look into some extra support for the strips, while they may not weigh much I found that they still start to detach after they have been in awhile

For my trunk strips I just put in a couple staples (ordinary office staples) they were beyond easy to install in the soft material, are impossible to see once installed and are holding up great

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will certainly keep an eye on them but thanks for that. I have a feeling a staple gun shot over the little snip lines where you can cut them will work fine. As of now mine are still stuck on well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quick question, I have an SE. So does the SXT come with ambient light already? If I did this in my SE the only thing it would accomplish is if turning on all interior light or when doors open. Or was that the plan?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick question, I have an SE. So does the SXT come with ambient light already? If I did this in my SE the only thing it would accomplish is if turning on all interior light or when doors open. Or was that the plan?
Yeah I am pretty sure that all Gen2's have a light under the dash already, which is what I wired these LED's off to have the "automated" function where they turn on when you open the doors.

So if you want them to turn on when you open the doors, follow these instructions for sure. Hope that answers your question

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wondering. I want a constant ambient light and was hoping there is a way with out buying a kit which some can be very expensive. Anyone ever though of splicing LEDs to the ambient door handle lights?

·
Registered
201 Posts
ImageUploadedByAG Free1398097563.158851.jpg

This is the best way to do that. I usually use the radio fuse. LEDs don't pull enough power to hurt anything. This way you are not altering or cutting any factory wires.

-Mitch
2014 SXT Plus AWD w/ Sport Appearance Package

·
Registered
99 Posts
so you just pulled the plug, snipped the + and - wires and wired the LED strip to the existing wires?.. sounds easy enough.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no idea what that is (I'm probably just incompetent) but thank you for joining the conversation and suggesting products after I already cut the wires.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
It's a wire tap. The original wire goes through it and the new wire goes into it. When you close it a blade cuts through the insulation and contacts the power lead without cutting it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very cool. Here's an amazon link for 50 of them for $10. I'll keep this in mind for the future probably something you can pick up at Home Depot or the Shack as well

1 - 20 of 35 Posts