Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really like the Charger and I'm ready to buy one but the seats just aren't comfortable to me. I've tried every seating option Dodge makes for the 2013 Charger and it ranges from unpleasant to down right painful.

I know this is going to sound like heresy to some but there is something a bit off (I know, it could be me but there we have it).

I've found comfortable cars. Nissan makes a few. Even the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the perforated leather is very nice. The Charger just hits between my shoulder blades awkwardly. It's right about where the perforated transitions to solid leather. The cooled seats are the worst and the problem intensifies when the cooling is on. It seems to bulge a bit more toward the top. Even off the bulge is there and that's what gets me.

One thought is break-in. Do the seats soften over time? Has anyone else noticed this? Am I completely mad?

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My back has been bothering me lately and I'm wondering if it is the lumbar support. I've been driving the Charger a lot more than normal so I'm thinking it could be that. I've been adjusting the seat and it seems like it seems to be getting better, but I'm worried about the long trip I've got planned next month and hoping I don't have to deal with it.

But other than that, I haven't had a problem with the seats.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I do think the seats take a little breaking in. I've got the ventilated Red leather and I picked up the car just as winter was making it's presence known. Heated seats are awesome but at first mine felt a bit stiff. The car's my daily driver and after months being on the road the driver's side had softened up nicely, according to my lovely woman though, the passenger seat, only used once or twice a week is still a little stiff. For me though, even after 7 hour runs back to Jersey the seat feels good and I've gotten little back fatigue. I do like the lumbar support and I'll move it every once in awhile just have the pressure in different spots.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I tend to agree with you on the driver's seat. It isn't bad but the passenger seat has a very severe lumbar design that cannot be adjusted.
Interesting, glad I'm not planning on being a passenger too often in this car, heh heh. But I did about 4.5 hrs' worth of cruisin' on Saturday, and I was ready for 4.5 hrs MORE (no discomfort at all)...which says a LOT about the fun factor of this car!

Have to admit, I am LOVING the Bee so far. It's been an absolute blast to drive, and considering that I did without some of my usual "must haves" (manual and sunroof), and "like to have" (leather seating), that's saying something. The one thing I really miss over everything else is not having a sunroof (I love that extra sunlight coming in), but I'll get used to one not being there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was all set to get a Bee but the Mrs. just couldn't bear the seat and I couldn't blame her. I loved it, though.
My Mrs. wanted me to go AWD...I kind of like the AWD Sport, went so far as to test one, but I wanted the 6.4 and the 470 HP, and the SRT body effects. I could've swung an SRT8 without a problem (most to keep my wife's eyes from buggin'), but I was trying to keep the price closer to what a loaded R/T Plus AWD Sport would cost, and with the '12 Bees selling thousands below sticker, I was able to do just that. My wife did see an SXT AWD Sport sitting on the showroom floor with the 8.4 screen, and was definitely doing a double-take on how fancy the interior was, compared to the Bee (as much as I love the gauge-faces on the Bee, I can admit it, to put it diplomatically, the rest of the interior is pretty lux-free...which ironically is what I like about it...it feels very 70s and it feels very "you're driving a MUSCLE CAR here, not some lux sedan"). I was worried she was going to see the bees and stripes on the seats and instantly hate them both...I think you either love or hate the Bee interior, and you know within 30 seconds how you feel, either way. Fortunately, she liked the look, and found the seats comfortable to boot. I have to admit, I would've been bummed with something other than the Bee...not to knock 5.7 Chargers of any trim, but I just REALLY wanted that Bee.

I could probably enjoy the creature comforts of an SRT8 very easily (I do plan on dumping the 4.3 for the 8.4 sooner than later), but most of the interior extras feel like unnecessary fluff to me. I wanted the raw power and I got it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the 8.4 a lot and think it was a smart move of Dodge's part to give us that in the 2013 Bee. 40k is a lot to spend on something totally spartan and the Nav/Entertainment/Control/Voice interface is the best I've seen in my car shopping which has included some much pricier cars.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The 4.3 is actually pretty functional, and touch screens are always nice, but it's just so damned SMALL. The 8.4 should've been standard on Bees from the get-go...I can understand cutting most of the other fluff to get the price down on the Bee and to make the SRT8 the premium ride, but like you said, a car that stickers for well over $40k (I haven't seen any Bees that didn't have some options straight from the factory...I think most Bees sticker in the $43k-$46k range) should have nav. The SRT8 would still have a lot of extras over the Bee.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't mean to imply anything negative about the 4.3. It's just that, after test driving a lot of cars recently, the 8.4 stands out above everything else I've looked at (Nissan, Hyundai, BMW, Infiniti, VW, Honda).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really like the Charger and I'm ready to buy one but the seats just aren't comfortable to me. I've tried every seating option Dodge makes for the 2013 Charger and it ranges from unpleasant to down right painful.

I know this is going to sound like heresy to some but there is something a bit off (I know, it could be me but there we have it).

I've found comfortable cars. Nissan makes a few. Even the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the perforated leather is very nice. The Charger just hits between my shoulder blades awkwardly. It's right about where the perforated transitions to solid leather. The cooled seats are the worst and the problem intensifies when the cooling is on. It seems to bulge a bit more toward the top. Even off the bulge is there and that's what gets me.

One thought is break-in. Do the seats soften over time? Has anyone else noticed this? Am I completely mad?

Thanks.

I just bought my car (2013 Daytona RT)- I didn't notice it on the test drive, but YES I noticed it almost immediately after leaving the lot. I am starting to get really concerned about this..... Did I make a mega mistake? I drive an estimamted 35K miles a year, so comfortable seats is a must!

It feels like a major bulge right between my shoulder blades (alittle lower than center).

I've tried adjusting the seat every which way, and I have had no luck-- I haven't tried turning off the ventilated seats yet.. hopefully that helps.

Oddly enough the passenger side doesn't seem to be bad.

ETA: update: Just tried turning off the AC seats function; that didn't seem to help. I've found the passenger seat to not be near as bad. I checked the lumbar support and that isn't it. I don't know how to adjust this seat to make it comfortable.

I'm wondering if padding can be removed or added to in that one spot to reduce the buldge feeling I am having in my back. Honestly it feels like max lumbar support in the wrong spot, but it isn't the lumbar support bar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It feels like a major bulge right between my shoulder blades (alittle lower than center).

I've tried adjusting the seat every which way, and I have had no luck-- I haven't tried turning off the ventilated seats yet.. hopefully that helps.
You have described my experience exactly. I ended up getting a 300c. After a couple of months, I'm fine. I did a little research before making my final decision and the padding in the seat around the area you are describing could be replaced. Unfortunately the parts do not appear to be interchangeable with the 300.

I talked to an interior restoration shop before buying and they assured me they could make the change to the inside to make me happy. You might consider going that route. I test drove chargers in three cities for months before realizing that I was not going to be able to get comfortable in one.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My first drive in this was picking it up from another dealer and making a 4+ hour drive back to the local dealer with it. Felt a lot of fatigue and a little back pain originally, but it seems to be better now. It seems like the seats on my '08 had a longer bottom piece to them, which was nice. The new one seems to be a little shorter. Took it on a 10+ hour road trip (each way) a few weeks after I got it and it felt a lot better. I've never really been a big fan of leather, which is why I went with cloth, and I'm totally fine with it. Haven't had the need to use the heat feature yet, but I'm sure that'll be handy in the winter, plus, it should easy any discomfort. Haven't played around with the lumbar support too much just yet, but I'm sure that I can find an even more comfortable driving position if I test it a little more.

Oh, and the most comfortable seats I've ever been in? My '95 LeSabre... Really wish that I had kept those and turned them into a couch, Top Gear style...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay I have close to 1000 miles on my car already-- and I have to say it.. The seats make me regret buying this car.

This seat issue is putting me in a foul mood about this car big time. I will visit the dealer, see if this is a defect. If not, I guess it is off to an interior shop to attempt to remedy this situation.

I'm not even that picky. I've driven all kinds of cars, and this is the ONLY one that the seat is unbearable.

I know I sound like a troll... because it sounds like "Hey I bought a brand new Charger and I hate it".

Again, I REALLY have to get this figured out, otherwise this trip down Dodge lane will be short lived.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.