Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i parked my 08 SRT8 Charger yesterday. It ran great, no overheating, Nothing wrong. I go out to the car an hour later and there is coolant all over the driveway. My lower hose blew off AFTER i parked it and it bled out.
Had it towed in just to make sure there wasn't something wrong to cause that kind pressure. So after they reattached the hose, refilled the coolant and let it run for a while, it started to foam into the rez. Said it might be a blown head gasket. However it never overheated. even for them.
Ideas?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Probably didn't burp the cooling system properly and it airlocked. These things rarely have head gasket issues.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. I hope there's no other damage to the engine...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
me too. couldn't have come at a worse time too. The shop that diagnosed the blown head gasket won't work on it due to the mileage. So I'm having it towed to a shop that specializes in engines. They said they would do it. Gonna cost a grand to start. It never even over heated that I was aware of. Still starts up and idles great.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
unless there was boost on the motor and lifted the head I still don't believe it's a head gasket. And even if it is it's a 4 hr job.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you need to come to Jacksonville, and bring your tools. :)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are making me think it could be worse than a gasket.:( May be a cracked head or something. How else could it fail a block test? And no it wasn't to sell me a head gasket, because the shop that diagnosed it said they would not do the repairs unless it was swapping out the motor because of the mileage. (150K)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
150k is nothing for these motors. I'd get a second opinion on it. Stage 6 motorsports is in Jacksonville.They do big Turbo builds on Gen 3 Hemis. If nothing else I'd trust them for a recommendation on where to take it.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
No details yet, but he said it's looking like it's not a head gasket. I'm sure he'll come on here soon and elaborate.

"Good news!!! Not a head gasket. Further test and an over night stay to determine."

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Check your oil - usually a head gasket results in water in the oil resulting in milky oil.

Could be something as simple as the coolant cap not venting. Or a stuck thermostat.
What did you coolant temps look like?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, The Duke is fixed and back home same. Ok, here's the story:
After being diagnosed with a blown headgasket at one location and given the death sentence of a big repair bill, the car sat in my driveway for a month while i tried to get funds together. In the meantime I was doing a commercial shoot for a new dealer here in town called Auto Match USA. (I work in tv) They have a 2008 Superbee on the lot which i plan on buying too. Anyway. I talked to the service manager and he said to bring it in that he had two mopar trained techs on staff. Had the car towed there. The guy went to work. First thing he noticed was the bottom end of the engine was DRY. apparently you have to put coolant in the resoviour AND on the other side of the water pump. Something neither of the other two shops it had been looked at did. Turns out all i needed was a coolant flush and thermostat. Fixed. $318.00 and Done. Thank God for honest mechanics that know what the hell they are doing. One shop, wanted about $1500 for a head Gasket, the other $8,000 for a new motor.
I'm a happy man. And stay tuned for updates on the purchase of the Superbee. Hopefully this time next week, i'll have 2 2008 SRT8's. :rocker:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ok, The Duke is fixed and back home same. Ok, here's the story:
After being diagnosed with a blown headgasket at one location and given the death sentence of a big repair bill, the car sat in my driveway for a month while i tried to get funds together. In the meantime I was doing a commercial shoot for a new dealer here in town called Auto Match USA. (I work in tv) They have a 2008 Superbee on the lot which i plan on buying too. Anyway. I talked to the service manager and he said to bring it in that he had two mopar trained techs on staff. Had the car towed there. The guy went to work. First thing he noticed was the bottom end of the engine was DRY. apparently you have to put coolant in the resoviour AND on the other side of the water pump. Something neither of the other two shops it had been looked at did. Turns out all i needed was a coolant flush and thermostat. Fixed. $318.00 and Done. Thank God for honest mechanics that know what the hell they are doing. One shop, wanted about $1500 for a head Gasket, the other $8,000 for a new motor.
I'm a happy man. And stay tuned for updates on the purchase of the Superbee. Hopefully this time next week, i'll have 2 2008 SRT8's. :rocker:
Nice! It's amazing how many poor technichians there are out there. They're more parts changer than technichians. Glad you got it resolve and getting a another SRT8. I tried to convince my wife to get one and she decline...ended getting a nissan altime 3.5 fully loaded :SM030:. Much rather get a used SRT8 :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts