Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy cow....what a dog. When you're used to the V8 the 3.5L is painful. After poking around under the hood, now I understand what you V6 guys are complaining about in terms of changing plugs. That manifold is completely different from the one used on my old 300M (which had room between the runners to change the plugs instead of flopping the whole mess off to one side.

I drove it about 120 miles today and got 23mpg (on the highway). That's almost exactly what I get with my 5.7L. :)

Can't wait to get back home to my own Charger again....

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Yeah!

Well thank your lucky stars you're not stuck in a chubby cobolt! :smoke:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
all the cobalt is, is a revamped cavalier, and imo i think it still looks like a cavalier...chevy should have spent some more time designing something diff for the cobalt, i mean dont get me wrong its not a bad looking little car but c'mon...change the name...change the design at least...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Holy cow....what a dog. When you're used to the V8 the 3.5L is painful. After poking around under the hood, now I understand what you V6 guys are complaining about in terms of changing plugs. That manifold is completely different from the one used on my old 300M (which had room between the runners to change the plugs instead of flopping the whole mess off to one side.

I drove it about 120 miles today and got 23mpg (on the highway). That's almost exactly what I get with my 5.7L. :)

Can't wait to get back home to my own Charger again....

Cheers,
Did your old 300M feel faster because the car mags report the same performance even though the 300M was a bit lighter?

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Yeah!

Well thank your lucky stars you're not stuck in a chubby cobolt! :smoke:
It's "COBALT", you dummy! How many times... :smoke: SHEESH!

I hope your reason for travel was sufficiently important to warrant putting up with such outrageous deprivation, Ritzy! :grin:

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
At least Joshy knows how to spell his elements.... :smoke:

(I think I hear rusty-orange-painted metal ripping, somewhere!) :smoke:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Ritz, I'm dissappointed in you. You normally are very accomodating and considerate. Why the 3.5L bash? Now if it was the 2.7 I could understand
as I have driven that, which does not mate up to the charger very well. But I find the 3.5 as a very fast and smooth V6. I have had previous V8 engines
in Fords and Dodges which were not any more quicker than this V6. For a every day driver this engine is very adequate.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I think I hear the sound of a classroom full of snoring students. :smoke:
ALL classrooms are full of snoring students. :smoke:

I'm glad I don't need a new lawn mower.... :grin:

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I had a 300 with 3.5 as a loaner once. Wasn't that bad. Are you sure it wasn't a 2.7?:smoke:

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Ritz, I'm dissappointed in you. You normally are very accomodating and considerate. Why the 3.5L bash? Now if it was the 2.7 I could understand
as I have driven that, which does not mate up to the charger very well. But I find the 3.5 as a very fast and smooth V6. I have had previous V8 engines
in Fords and Dodges which were not any more quicker than this V6. For a every day driver this engine is very adequate.
I don't think that he was necessarily bashing the v6. He was simply stating that comparing to his R/T it was slow. When I drive my dad's R/T now that I have my srt8 it feels very slow as well...

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Did your old 300M feel faster because the car mags report the same performance even though the 300M was a bit lighter?
The 300M didn't feel faster, though back in '99 it was considered pretty fast for a porky sedan. And mine died valiantly. It took a T-bone from a full-size pickup going about 40mph into the driver's door and my wife walked away with some bruises and slight cuts from broken glass.

Best,

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually, I really like the Chrysler 3.5L V6. It's a great motor. It's just not enough motor for such a porky car. The HP is OK once you've got the revs up, but there just isn't nearly enough low-end torque for this application. Wasn't meant as a V6 bash as much as a "my God, what a difference" comment.

Best,

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I got stuck with a Ford Taurus for a week!

I shudder just thinking about it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.