Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do enjoy the nice tech toys as my username implies, so I had a thought about whether the newer UConnect and even the 7" TFT Dash Display will be transferable to the 2011-14 Models. I realize a lot of work would probably need to be done, but as a good deal of us don't really fancy the 2015 re-design it would be nice to upgrade the internal equipment. Just a passing thought... :grin:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Are you talking about the gauges? The uconnect screen looked the same to me...

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
The uconnect screen looked the same to me...
The UConnect "screen" does look the same, but it will have a newer version of UConnect, called UConnect2,
which is currently in some Jeep, Ram vehicles!

You can tell the difference between the two, as the newer one has "APPS" in the lower right hand corner:

The newer version also has HD Radio, as well as some other hardware differences!

I would love to be able to get that hardware and put it in a 2014 and see if it works!

·
Registered
562 Posts
The UConnect "screen" does look the same, but it will have a newer version of UConnect, called UConnect2,
which is currently in some Jeep, Ram vehicles!

You can tell the difference between the two, as the newer one has "APPS" in the lower right hand corner:

The newer version also has HD Radio, as well as some other hardware differences!

I would love to be able to get that hardware and put it in a 2014 and see if it works!
I'd expect it to require a little fab work, but doesn't seem too difficult to try

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
Well, if we are "lucky", then the screen and it's connectors are exactly the same between the two.

At that point, all you would have to do would take the radio unit out and swap it!

·
Registered
516 Posts
The radios are completely different.

The 2011-2013 systems consist of a double-din radio module and a separate touchscreen.

The 2nd gen radios are more like a tablet; everything is in the screen, except for an external optical drive.

The connectors are different, but it's just a radio, so it might be possible to make an adapter harness.

The software between the two may be a much bigger problem, though maybe not insurmountable. It may be necessary for a CAN translator to also go between the radio and the car harness.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be a challenging project.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Might be easier to get a new model and graft the 2nd gen fascia and stuff onto it lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts