Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Charger Daytona, over the past few months the uconnect screen developed a bubble and will turn on & off the audio, switch stations on its own, affects climate control and bluetooth. I took it to the dealership and they sent the issue to regional manager, dodge states i have to replace stereo at my cost and quoted $1095.00. I asked them how did I cause the issue, and was told its a unconnect manufacturing defect, so why do i have to pay for a known defect? We own a jeep, charger and challenger and are truly thinking of never buying a dodge product again. If its a known defect it should be recall or a class action lawsuit!

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Yup...going through my second replacement....

· Registered
7,577 Posts
Another 8.4 screen bites the dust. Sad but not uncommon for the screen or the internal workings of multifunction radio to go bad.

The reason FCA does not extend the warranty or recall the UConnect is because most go out shortly after the warranty times out and they are not obligated to repair them. Why should they. Forums are littered with posts about faulty screens and radio units yet sales are strong.

· Registered
5,726 Posts
And it's not a safety issue.

There is no recall on the cam and lifter issue either.

Also, even though this issues seems to be very common because we see it popping up on message boards, in reality it's not as vast a problem as it may seem. You see countless cam and lifter threads across forums, and I could name easily 20 coworkers who own RAM 5.7s, a few 392 Challengers, a few Charger 5.7s, and I was the only one who's had to replace my cam and lifters. People don't post issues they're not having, obviously.

It sucks, I get it, but it is what it is. As stated, sales are strong and it's not a safety issue, so why would they? It's also not as common of a problem as you may think.

As for not buying Stellantis anymore, I wouldn't either...

· Registered
800 Posts
If you are not going to buy another Dodge, what would you buy? Delamination is a problem that a lot of manufacturers are dealing with.
My last car the forums were full of posts with screens delaminating and spiderwebbing.

· Registered
7,577 Posts
^ absolutley correct. All manufactures have infotainment failures. And they range from small to large units but i find the larger screen failures have more of an impact due to the increased functionality they control. On smaller screens there are typically fewer things controlled and its usually just the radio, maybe a compass, backup camera, and bluetooth.

On the other hand when a 8.4 screen goes out you lose control of drive modes, SRT pages, most of the heat and AC controls, radio, bluetooth, seat heater, etc.

Knock on wood, none of our vehicles with 5 inch screens have suffered screen problems. I couldn't even get out of the first year of warranty before FCA replaced the complete left front suspension, and 8.4 UConnect multifunction radio on the 2019 scat pack. It hobbled the car in many ways and pissed me off max that it took a couple repeat shop visits and multiple cell video of times when it would fail to get FCA corporate to approve replacement.

I traded the 2019 Scat for a 2020 Jeep, which has had tolerable problems in the 16 month/62,000 miles i put on it. By tolerable, it spent 1 month in the body shop being treated and repaired for cosmetic galvanic corrosion. At this point I'm like FlyersHockey, I won't step foot into another FCA product.

· Registered
949 Posts
^ absolutley correct. All manufactures have infotainment failures. And they range from small to large units but i find the larger screen failures have more of an impact due to the increased functionality they control. On smaller screens there are typically fewer things controlled and its usually just the radio, maybe a compass, backup camera, and bluetooth.

On the other hand when a 8.4 screen goes out you lose control of drive modes, SRT pages, most of the heat and AC controls, radio, bluetooth, seat heater, etc.

Knock on wood, none of our vehicles with 5 inch screens have suffered screen problems. I couldn't even get out of the first year of warranty before FCA replaced the complete left front suspension, and 8.4 UConnect multifunction radio on the 2019 scat pack. It hobbled the car in many ways and pissed me off max that it took a couple repeat shop visits and multiple cell video of times when it would fail to get FCA corporate to approve replacement.

I traded the 2019 Scat for a 2020 Jeep, which has had tolerable problems in the 16 month/62,000 miles i put on it. By tolerable, it spent 1 month in the body shop being treated and repaired for cosmetic galvanic corrosion. At this point I'm like FlyersHockey, I won't step foot into another FCA product.
You have put 62,000 miles on your jeep in 16 months? Consumer vehicles probably aren't meant that amount usage. Just saying.

· Registered
2013 R/T
2,839 Posts
Its not a safety or environmental issue.

Reactions: FlyersHockey

· Registered
7,577 Posts
You have put 62,000 miles on your jeep in 16 months? Consumer vehicles probably aren't meant that amount usage. Just saying.
I tend to agree with you that's why i purchased a 7-year unlimited mileage MOPAR warranty.

But i still expect quality, durability, and good service for the tens of $thousands spent on a vehicle regardless if it is for personal or commercial use and regardless how many miles put on the vehicle in one year or 5 years. In return i understand the fact that high mileage means driving out of warranty before it times out and that stuff wears out if its driven a lot. Its the price of ownership and driving a lot.

But the bubbling on the UConnect screen has nothing to do with mileage other than the fact mileage might determine if its covered under warranty.

· Registered
2 Posts
My wife's 2018 started with the small bubble in the upper left corner around spring time in '21, and really didn't progress too much at first. But it really took off over this past spring and summer. Right now about the upper 40% of the screen is affected, and the whole system is pretty much unusable. I've called her before while her phone is connected to bluetooth and I hear constant "BOOP" sounds like you're touching the screen. She can't listen to any music, can't control the AC, can't use seat heaters or vents... ridiculous. A faulty product is a faulty product, safety-related or not. It should be a no-brainer that the dealer should be paid by Dodge to repair it. My '16 Ford Explorer that I drive for work went over 231K miles this week, so I am constantly looking at vehicles to replace it with when it craps out...I really like the Durango, but with the issues she's had with her Charger, the screen and the warping door panels, it makes me doubt that I'll even consider the Durango regardless of how much I like it. The headaches aren't worth it.

· Registered
5,726 Posts
My wife's 2018 started with the small bubble in the upper left corner around spring time in '21, and really didn't progress too much at first. But it really took off over this past spring and summer. Right now about the upper 40% of the screen is affected, and the whole system is pretty much unusable. I've called her before while her phone is connected to bluetooth and I hear constant "BOOP" sounds like you're touching the screen. She can't listen to any music, can't control the AC, can't use seat heaters or vents... ridiculous. A faulty product is a faulty product, safety-related or not. It should be a no-brainer that the dealer should be paid by Dodge to repair it. My '16 Ford Explorer that I drive for work went over 231K miles this week, so I am constantly looking at vehicles to replace it with when it craps out...I really like the Durango, but with the issues she's had with her Charger, the screen and the warping door panels, it makes me doubt that I'll even consider the Durango regardless of how much I like it. The headaches aren't worth it.
My wife had a 2018 Infiniti and it delaminated. It's not solely a Dodge issue.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have 4 vehicles with touch screens... 2012 Equinox, 2016 Explorer, 2017 Mustang GT, and 2018 Charger... plenty of diversity in my driveway... and only the Charger has the screen issue, and it's the newest vehicle. And it's not "delaminating", as people like to say it's doing... the issue is the glue that was used to attach the digitizer to the display screen. That glue eventually softens and melts and oozes out of the bottom of the assembly, leaving behind voids where the glue has softened and/or flowed out, hence the "bubbles". Looking online, the assembly is made by LG and there are two newer versions of the screen which don't have the glue issue, that you can purchase if you care to pay for (about $400 on eBay) and do it yourself. But the original version of the screen is what was used in the 2018 at least. As I understand it, the issue has been remedied in newer vehicles. And I'm not saying it's solely Dodge that has screen issues. But their being fully aware of the issues it causes and how rampant the issues are, it surely speaks to Chrysler and their apparent lack of concern to remedy the problem.

· Registered
5,726 Posts
I have 4 vehicles with touch screens... 2012 Equinox, 2016 Explorer, 2017 Mustang GT, and 2018 Charger... plenty of diversity in my driveway... and only the Charger has the screen issue, and it's the newest vehicle. And it's not "delaminating", as people like to say it's doing... the issue is the glue that was used to attach the digitizer to the display screen. That glue eventually softens and melts and oozes out of the bottom of the assembly, leaving behind voids where the glue has softened and/or flowed out, hence the "bubbles". Looking online, the assembly is made by LG and there are two newer versions of the screen which don't have the glue issue, that you can purchase if you care to pay for (about $400 on eBay) and do it yourself. But the original version of the screen is what was used in the 2018 at least. As I understand it, the issue has been remedied in newer vehicles. And I'm not saying it's solely Dodge that has screen issues. But their being fully aware of the issues it causes and how rampant the issues are, it surely speaks to Chrysler and their apparent lack of concern to remedy the problem.
Their lack of concern comes from the fact that they can't produce these vehicles fast enough. Shitty for sure, but when they're selling vehicles that haven't changed much in 8 years for $30k more than the original pricing, what do they care?

· Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know for sure if Dodge eventually switched the screen out in later model Chargers? If LG makes an improved unit it seems like a no brainer for them to do the switch? As a new '22 SP owner I'd like to hope it was done.

· Registered
949 Posts
Does anyone know for sure if Dodge eventually switched the screen out in later model Chargers? If LG makes an improved unit it seems like a no brainer for them to do the switch? As a new '22 SP owner I'd like to hope it was done.
No clue. Got the max care warranty so I'm covered 8 years, 125,000 miles.

· Registered
3 Posts
Apparently I'm joining this bandwagon. Just took my 2018 Charger in yesterday to be told screen delamination and no fix but to replace the unit for $1000. I'm so disappointed. Searching further found that there was a class action suit. Link below. Not really sure the outcome. It appears to be a UConnect problem that has been around for years with no fix and issues just getting worse across many makes and models. I'm pissed and sad. I love my charger. I'm picky about vehicles and wouldn't even know what else to get but I can't afford to be replacing this repeatedly. And I've read reviews of others having to do it more than once. It's a 2018 40k miles. To me it's a pretty new car and there is no guarantee it won't happen again. Though I would argue that it is an indirect safely issue. Mine goes haywire, takes your eyes off the road, I was repeatedly trying to turn off my steering column heater and couldn't press the app button to get there and turn it off. Screens just kept popping up over and over. My hands were on fire (not literally) and I wanted it off. My daughter has been using navigation going thru sketchy areas and the same. When it starts happening, it's unusable and you just have to turn it off.

· Registered
1 Posts
Apparently I'm joining this bandwagon. Just took my 2018 Charger in yesterday to be told screen delamination and no fix but to replace the unit for $1000. I'm so disappointed. Searching further found that there was a class action suit. Link below. Not really sure the outcome. It appears to be a UConnect problem that has been around for years with no fix and issues just getting worse across many makes and models. I'm pissed and sad. I love my charger. I'm picky about vehicles and wouldn't even know what else to get but I can't afford to be replacing this repeatedly. And I've read reviews of others having to do it more than once. It's a 2018 40k miles. To me it's a pretty new car and there is no guarantee it won't happen again. Though I would argue that it is an indirect safely issue. Mine goes haywire, takes your eyes off the road, I was repeatedly trying to turn off my steering column heater and couldn't press the app button to get there and turn it off. Screens just kept popping up over and over. My hands were on fire (not literally) and I wanted it off. My daughter has been using navigation going thru sketchy areas and the same. When it starts happening, it's unusable and you just have to turn it off.
I’m having a problem with the radio also. I have a 2017 charger rt,first radio went ghost on me,no control,buttons pressing on there on. Went to the dealer I was under warranty,so I got a new radio That was about a year ago. Now new radio power up,then shut down,it come on,stay on a hot second, then shut off,that’s what it do the whole time I’m riding. Call the dealership and they said 7-14 days before they can even look at it wtf. I really like this car, but the radio issue and the peeling door panels/interior is a real turn off, It would be great if Dodge would do right by there customers

· Registered
5,726 Posts
DodgeCares was spamming every other thread today, let's see if they show up here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts