Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this will help somebody. I have a 2012 Dodge Charger SXT & my Uconnect/Bluetooth quit working about 2 months ago. I researched online to see if there was a way for me to fix it myself. Alot of ppl are having the same problem with Dodge. I tried all the tricks. Nothing worked. The one thing I didn't want to do was to replace it completely like other ppl had to & costing around $700. Meanwhile every now & then the battery saver mode would pop up on my messages/dash which had me worried so I went & had my battery tested. I had it tested for free at Advanced Auto Parts. My battery read good but stated it needed to be charged yet my alternater was good which I knew bc it was replaced by a recall not long ago. I still had the original battery that came with the car. So the man said maybe it's about to go bad & that's why it's not getting/holding a full charge. I mean it is 7 yrs old. So I went today to the Dodge Dearlership near me to get it replaced bc no Auto parts store will install it..believe me I went to multiple different part stores..all bc it's in the trunk & the parts stores won't let them install them bc it's around cables & wires that's a little more complicated they say & puts them at risk of messing stuff up. It states they can't install it on their computers when looking it up for my car also. Anyway my husband read online somewhere when researching my Uconnect problem that if your battery doesn't have full power that some of your electronics will stop working. I knew I needed a battery anyway. My car always cranked & I never needed a jump but just going off the battery saver mode notification & looking up what it meant.. I got worried recently when I saw a video of a man stating don't let your battery completely die in your Charger. Bc nothing will work then. You can't pop the trunk to get to your battery then. He had to climb through the back seats to try to get to the trunk & I don't remember how he got the trunk open but put it this way..you don't wanna have to do it.. After replacing my battery today..my Uconnect/Bluetooth is back working. Dealerships or Service writers aren't gonna tell you if that might be your problem bc everybody's trying to make money. Money to replace a module plus labor vs a battery replacement. Not saying this is always the case but it was my case. So if your battery isn't working as good as it should be then that's probably your problem. Just get your battery tested for free first to see if it's good & charging completely. If it's saying you need to charge it then have them test your alternater for free if it's good then you might need to get a new battery like I did just so everything works like it's supposed to. If that's not your fix then maybe it's the module.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
The "battery saver mode" message is a warning that your battery is not able to keep up the demands being put on it. I always interpret it as a early warning message telling you to replace the battery.

When the "Battery Saver Mode" or “Battery Saver On" message is displayed, the vehicle will turn off certain electrical functions to reduce battery energy consumption. This will occur during periods when the battery is not being adequately charged or the battery is not capable of keeping up with the demand . During this time, the following features (if equipped) may be turned off or will operate at a reduced power level: heated seats and heated steering wheel, heated or cooled cup-holder, rear defroster and heated mirrors, heating and air conditioning, power inverter, audio and telematics system.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
If your new battery goes dead, the problem is the telematics module itself.
I had the exact same problem on my Journey, battery tests good but needed replacing. Replaced it and everything was good for a few months.
Then it died again, Pulled the fuse for the Telematics module and battery charged up and worked fine for months. Reconnected fuse and battery got weak again.
You may have just bandaided the problem with a new battery, if your car sits for more than 5 days you may find a low battery if the module is bad.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Pulled the fuse for the Telematics module and battery charged up and worked fine for months. Reconnected fuse and battery got weak again.
This can happen with several of the electronic modules in the car. It's excessive Ignition Off Draw (IOD). IOD is a normal condition where power is being drained from the battery with the ignition switch in the Off position. A normal vehicle electrical system will draw from five to thirty-five milliamperes (0.005 to 0.035 ampere) with the ignition switch in the Off position. Up to thirty-five milliamperes are needed to power the memory functions for the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), digital clock, electronically tuned radio, and other modules. A problem with any of these modules may cause the module to draw excessive power and drain the battery when the ignition switch is in the Off position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update..since replacing my battery.. I'm back to every now & then my Uconnect not working. I gave up checking to see if it worked about a week ago. Something told me to check it yesterday & surprisingly it worked but today...not working... Ugh! When replacing my battery I wanted to get a more powerful battery but was limited on space since it's in the trunk & had to get it installed at a Dodge Dealership bc regular auto parts stores won't touch it. Costing me $65 for the installation. I saw YouTube videos of ppl getting better batteries that could handle all the electronics but was discouraged when I was told they wouldn't fit properly yet I saw them being installed by Charger owners. Maybe they customized their trunks idk. Anyway I'm back to square one. Lol maybe I need to research the telematics module. Thanks for the replys. ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The "battery saver mode" message is a warning that your battery is not able to keep up the demands being put on it. I always interpret it as a early warning message telling you to replace the battery.

When the "Battery Saver Mode" or “Battery Saver On" message is displayed, the vehicle will turn off certain electrical functions to reduce battery energy consumption. This will occur during periods when the battery is not being adequately charged or the battery is not capable of keeping up with the demand . During this time, the following features (if equipped) may be turned off or will operate at a reduced power level: heated seats and heated steering wheel, heated or cooled cup-holder, rear defroster and heated mirrors, heating and air conditioning, power inverter, audio and telematics system.
And I have most.. if not all of the features you've listed. I believe I don't have a battery strong enough to handle all of it. Yet the dealership only had one option for a battery.. ?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
The non-Police Chargers have either a 160A or a 180A alternator. The Police Chargers have a 220A alternator. A higher amp alternator has an easier time of keeping the battery fully charged.
There is only one factory Mopar spec battery for the non-Police Chargers. This is probably why the dealership only offered one option. Any battery you install should meet the factory spec so that the battery will fit correctly. For 2012 ...
BCI Group Size = 94R
The outside dimensions and terminal placement of the battery conform to standards established by the Battery Council International (BCI). Each battery is assigned a BCI Group Size number to help identify a correctly-sized replacement.
Cold Cranking Amperage = 730
Reserve Capacity = 140
Ampere-Hours = 72

Since the battery is in the trunk it needs to be vented to the outside. There's a vent tube in the trunk that plugs into the battery. You need a battery that has a vent hole properly located so the vent tube can plug into it.

None of this helps with the telematics module but it does explain why the auto parts stores didn't want anything to do with the battery and why the dealership only had one battery choice.

You can look at the Build Sheet (Equipment Listing) for you car and see what alternator was installed at the factory. The link is https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Enter the VIN in all CAPS if you get a message that says the VIN could not be found.
You need a healthy alternator to keep the battery healthy. You can check to see if your car was included in the FCA alternator recall. The link is https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

Reactions: senor dodge
1 - 7 of 7 Posts