Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to checking out the DVD that came with the OM, and it mentioned that I could load up custom POI's by burning them onto a disk (specifically a DVD I think) and transferring them that way. Just discovered trapster and I'm trying to get that up and running, is there anything special I need to know about burning the disk? I have the Garmin loader, but it just pops out a .gpi file. Is that all I need on the disk and it should work?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have now tried everything short of calling Garmin or Dodge. I've used the POI loader, I've loaded up an SD card, a USB thumb drive, and even burned a DVD. Nada. Any ideas on how to get custom points of interest loaded up on the 8.4N?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also trying to get some of the Garmin custom vehicle icons added to the 8.4N on an '11 RT. Can figure out how to transfer them over, Garmin web site only have instructors for directly connecting the unit to a PC...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "owners information" disk that comes with the OM sort of mentions how, but has extraordinarily vague instructions.

After downloading your POI database, use the Garmin POI Loader to install the POIs onto a DVD. Use the DVD to load the POIs. The POI Loader is available at www.garmin.com/products/poiloader. Refer to the POI Loader Help file for more information; click Help to open the Help file.
But the POI Loader either wants to dump the gpi file onto a garmin device directly, an sd card, or somewhere on the computer. I've got one more thing I'm gonna try, and I'll let you know how it goes.

ALSO, instructions for finding custom POIs
To view a list of the custom POIs loaded in your navigation system:

Touch Where To?.
Then touch Extras.
Lastly, touch Custom POIs.
I'm pretty sure I don't have "Custom POIs" on my UConnect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seeking help on an alert problem with POI's

I am able to generate a POI file using Garmin's POI Loader and am able to flash the result into the 2012 Uconnect 8.4N. From a navigational perspective it is correct, showing the 24 x 24 icon at the locations. It also shows the visual alert on the map when I get within the designated distance from the POI. It DOES NOT issue an audio alert at that designated point.

Can anyone shed any light on why the audio is not being generated? Details of how I coded it are below.

My POI file is compiled from three files:
Zones.bmp
Zones.gpx
Zones.mp3

The gpx file has entries in it like:

<wpt lat="42.79412" lon="-71.43649">
<name>Hudson [email protected]</name>
<cmt>School Zone</cmt>
<extensions>
<gpxx:WaypointExtension>
<gpxx:proximity>400</gpxx:proximity>
</gpxx:WaypointExtension>
</extensions>
</wpt>

(The intent is to generate an audio alert if exceeding 34 mph within 400 metres of the school zone. The visual alert works exactly like that.)

Although the POI file is binary, its contents can be examined and the mp3 file has been included in it.

Garmin does generate audio directions during normal navigation. Just does not provide the alerts from the POI file.

David E.

·
Registered
516 Posts
There's a documented bug that prevents 2012 units from generating a sound for alerts, and there's a Garmin update floating around that supposedly fixes it. Be warned, though, I bricked a 2011 unit using the update, though 2012 users have reported success.

In my 2013, everything works fine. You need to use Sox with the POi Loader program and use WAV files if you want to use custom sounds.

The radio will only recognize custom POi files named "POI.gpi", so make sure that file is in your Garmin folder on the USB stick.

You can only install one Custom POI file, but the source folder in POI Loader may contain many different source files, so it's not any trouble. I've got speed traps, rest areas, red light cameras, offbeat tourist destinations, cool restaurants, and some other stuff, each with their own custom alert sound. It is amazing how much information are on some of those prepared POI sets. In the "info" screen of the POi, some of them have restuarant reviews, recommended dishes, and other information. Great for the big screen.

Passengers are usually pretty impressed when my car says, "Approaching red light camera" as we get close to one of those intersections...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the note about the documented bug. I've not found a reference to it yet but I've only made a cursory search. If I locate the full reference I'll post it here. For myself, unless I see something from Garmin I shall probably just live with it the way it is.

One quirk on the graphical alert for the POIs that I noticed. Sometimes it failed to recognize one or more of my custom ones. I traced it to a positioning discrepancy. In creating my data, the original coordinates were expressed to about 8 or 10 decimal places from Google Earth. Garmin only accepts 5 (maybe 6) decimal places. As a shortcut I had merely truncated Google to 5 places which had moved a few of them just off to the side of the road. It didn't like those. I repositioned them in the center of the road and rounded the result to 5 places and everything now works perfectly.

As I understand it, Chrysler is acquiring and modifying an OEM version of Garmin's product. What I have in the vehicle is identified as being CPT 2012 Software Version 2.70. Am I correct in assuming that any software update to that would therefore have to come through Chrysler rather than through Garmin? Do you know if Chrysler has ever issued any software updates to previous models or do they only provide the latest software with new vehicles? (Probably the latter.)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I can't comment on the graphical alert bug, since mine don't seem to have that trouble. I'm not creating my own data; I'm just harvesting data that's already been compiled.

These radios have a Garmin PCB installed inside of them. From what I can tell by the way the board looks, it appears to be the guts from a regular unit with much of the supporting circuitry unpopulated. It looks an awful lot like there is video hardware that isn't present, and quite a few connectors are just empty pads.

The circuit board runs Garmin software, and the updates that I've mentioned earlier do in fact come from Garmin, but they've not been "officially" released as far as I know. As I've also mentioned, I've bricked a unit by installing the wrong firmware - though it was my fault as the unit didn't want to install it the "normal" way so I forced it in using Dealer Mode.

The new firmware update that addresses the POI alert sounds may or may not be available at a dealer. From my dealings with dealers and the software/firmware in these radios, I've come to the conclusion that they would rather not touch them at all.

You can try to install the Garmin firmware update using a USB stick. If the radio naturally accepts the update, you should be good to go. If it doesn't accept it by just plugging in the USB stick and gives you an error, I'd advise not to "force" it in...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts