Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my navigation has been showing my location anywhere from 5 to 50 miles from my actual location. I have the latest map and software that was updated automatically a month or so ago.

Set up an appointment with the dealer last week for this morning. They end up telling me I need a software update at a cost of $270.00. I declined the update and had to pay a $139.00 diagnostic fee. I am assuming the $270.00 included that fee.

They go on to tell me that my radio is a couple of weeks out of warranty. That the radio itself is covered under the extended service plan I purchased from them but that does not include software updates. According to the dealer it only covers "functionality" of the radio.

My response was that if the navigation is not functioning properly then how is that not a functional issue? They said something to the effect that since it was software then it was not functional. But that if I did pay for the update and it did not correct the issue then they would "gift" me a new / used radio.

Seems like the update may or may not correct the issue after all. So they don't know if the issue can be corrected with the new software and are throwing a charge at me to diagnose and correct the issue with the hopes of it working? How is that ok?

Seems to me that if the radio does not function as designed then this should be covered under my extended service plan.

I confirmed on the uConnect site that the software is current as of today as well and the maps.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Go through the paperwork of the extended warranty plan and see what it says about electronics and issues with their operation. It should say whether or not this sort of thing is covered.

I have a feeling it will say that software updates and such are not covered though. uConnect could push out a bad update and completely break how the head-unit operates, and that's not under the control of the warranty entity. It would be up to the uConnect folks to push out another update to resolve any problems they caused with the previous software install.

Now, having said all that, I will say that something doesn't stir the Kool-Aid with the dealer's position on the resolution to your reported problem. They said the system needs a software update to resolve the issue, but you have confirmed there are no uConnect updates available. So what piece of hardware are they going to update? And where are they going to get the update to install?

BTW, you don't need them to install a software update for the uConnect system. You have the ability to do that yourself. You can download the update onto a USB drive and plug that into the car for the head-unit to recognize and install. Now, if you are already running the latest version of the software, you cannot necessarily do that now, but in the future, if there is another uConnect update that comes out, you should be able to do it yourself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming that it is a firmware update, which I do not see anyway to download that on the sites. However, i specifically asked the dealer if it was firmware and they said no.

That being said, the latest update is already installed. I decided to install any updates myself but none are available. The dealer also told me that this is not something you can DYI, but I checked regardless.

Yeah, as for the warranty. I will browse thru that this evening when I return home. Thanks for the response!

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I am assuming that it is a firmware update, which I do not see anyway to download that on the sites. However, i specifically asked the dealer if it was firmware and they said no.

That being said, the latest update is already installed. I decided to install any updates myself but none are available. The dealer also told me that this is not something you can DYI, but I checked regardless.

Yeah, as for the warranty. I will browse thru that this evening when I return home. Thanks for the response!

The dealership’s insistence on doing something that will extract money from you while also having non-sensicle answers to your questions about what they are doing is strange. I would say it sounds like they are hedging their bets by making sure they get some labor to bill regardless of whether or not the warranty will cover it, which they already believe it won’t...so, IDK, my tin foil hat is at the dry cleaners or id put it on and analyze further.

As it stands now, with the info you have provided, something is up IMHO.

One more question: who is listed on the warranty paperwork that is responsible for providing the warranty coverage, Dodge/Chrysler or some 3rd party company?

If it’s not Dodge/Chrysler and is a 3rd party company instead, you can count on most (read: all) your claims for coverage to be denied. And the ones that aren’t will only be authorized to spend the least amount possible for replacement parts. (That means used or rebuilt parts not, nothing new. )

If that’s the case, the dealership’s actions thus far make more sense. They have likely dealt with these third party companies before and know it will be a struggle to get anything approved, and so they are trying to get a little money upfront now through this bogus labor charge in case it comes down to a fight for approval for any claim you make.

But that’s all supposition. Check the warranty paperwork and then you’ll know for sure whether any of this holds water or not.

·
Registered
2017 Daytona 392
133 Posts
A couple weeks out of warranty, you have an extended warranty and they STILL won't do anything for you? You need to find a new dealer. My uConnect screen had a small delam area in the corner back in February, I was about 4-5 months out of warranty but they still worked with me. Charged me $200 for a new unit vs. the usual $1000 or so.

Reactions: Punisher69

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hello everyone,

We're deeply sorry to hear about the concerns you're experiencing with your Uconnect system. If your GPS is showing your vehicle in the wrong location, please know that our teams are aware of this concern and are actively working on a resolution. While it is subject to change, there is a software update that is projected to be released in the coming months. So please keep an eye out for this! In the meantime, I encourage you to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

If anyone has any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

Thanks,

Courtney
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
The GPS showing you miles off course has NOTHING to do with a map update and that's usually what we pay for.

If there's a firmware update then that is either free from your dealer or you can do it yourself.

So sounds to me like the dealer is trying to scam you out of a map update.

Ask him after you pay for the update and it does not fix the car will he reimburse you for everything? Of course he won't!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did ask that. And of course the answer was no. That was a "diagnostic" fee. $140 to turn on the car and hit the navigation button? Lol.

@DodgeCares Thank you for the response. I will be waiting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did you try another dealer? I wouldn't trust having them do the update either with no guarantee it'll fix it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The update won't fix it. Been there done that. They have to replace the unit.
Yeah, i figured that. Also, I approached them on the screen delamination issue back in 11/2020. But they told me until it interferes with the "function" of the radio then there is nothing they can do. As of now it has spread since that time but has not affected the radio yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@DodgeCares Will the screen delamination issues ever be addressed officially? Seems some dealers work with the owners while others decline to address it at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts