Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody explain this to me? If you have a bluetooth enabled phone, you can just hook your cell phone into something and you can talk hand's free? Is the controlls in the steering wheel or something? And how well does it work?

·
Registered
154 Posts
OK This is the coolest feature in the car (other than the incredibly fast 5.7 liter HEMI). There is no cradle, no cables, no anything. You allow the car into your phone’s trusted blue tooth equipment list and that is it. If a call comes in you press the button on the rearview mirror and answer it after you look at the number being displayed on the dash to see if you want to talk. If you want to make a call hit the button and say "dial", give it the phone number and it calls. I work in a office of sales people driving 60-90 thousand dollar Euro Sleds and they all drool when they see my car and how cool the U-Connect is. It is a very cheap return on investment if you use your phone all the time.

RIM BlackBerry
Verizon Wireless
No Problems

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds pretty neat. So could you use that whith voice recognition as well when you assign a name to a phone # and just say "Dial Steve"?

I'm looking at a SRT when they come out and looking at the packages you really have to go all out just to get the U-connect. It only shows it with option group III which includes Navigation and Satellite radio.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes you can. The car has a phone book with 32 name recognition slots, each with 4 numbers, Home, Office, Cell, pager. Your voice programs the name and the computer gives you the option for which number. It takes a lot of time to program the book in, but once done it is great.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This may be a stupid question, but does all this work becuase you have the phone with you and it just uses the wireless technology to send it to the cars computer? As in, you can't leave your phone at home and still be able to use it in your car?

Also, depending on the answer to the first question, when the phone rings, it is your phone that rings or does it ring over the car speakers? And does it shut off the radio and everything automaticly?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Alley said:
This may be a stupid question, but does all this work becuase you have the phone with you and it just uses the wireless technology to send it to the cars computer? As in, you can't leave your phone at home and still be able to use it in your car?
You need the phone
Also, depending on the answer to the first question, when the phone rings, it is your phone that rings or does it ring over the car speakers? And does it shut off the radio and everything automaticly
It shuts down the radio and announces an incomming call through the front speakers automatically.?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Alley.

Looks like lammy has been providing you all the right info.

I also have it in my Dodge Ram.
I have the dealer installed version with a set of buttons near my radio head. Works just like the factory mirror set up.

Phone must be with 10 feet of the vehcile the unit is installed in.
Hip, pocket, purse, center console, trunk, etc.

Mutes stereo and rings as phone call come in. Push call button to voice command call and it mutes the stereo.

I have a Motorola V710 paired with the u-connect--- works great.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Alley said:

Also, depending on the answer to the first question, when the phone rings, it is your phone that rings or does it ring over the car speakers? And does it shut off the radio and everything automaticly?
Alley,

they way this works is that you have to "pair" your phone with the uconnect. It is extremely simple and the user manual is totally easy to understand once you get it. if you get this option factory installed the unit is based in your rearview mirror. when an incoming call is detected from your cell phone (which must be within 33 feet of the car) your radio will shut off and display the number of the caller on your car radio. it uses the speakers of the car so you can never miss a call when you are cruising on the highway blasting your stereo.

i have the dealer installed version and it works exactly the same as the factory installed version except this one doesnt have the caller id feature. it is very convenient and safe to use. this is a must for all cell phone users.

MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE HAS THE BLUETOOTH TECHNOLOGY BEFORE BUYING THIS OPTION. AND MAKE SURE YOUR WIRELESS PROVIDER HAS BLUETOOTH PHONES. SPRINTPCS HAS GOTTEN THEIR FIRST BLUETOOTH PHONE FOR ITS CUSTOMERS AND I HAVE BEEN PISSED IT TOOK THEM SO LONG MAKE IT AVAILABLE.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Why doesn't the caller ID feature work ??? I was looking at the dealer installed version - I also have the Navigation system, will caller ID work with this ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just an FYI

I have a Treo 650 and the Uconect system works with the Treo. However, I am not able to get the full functionality from the Uconnect as I should. The phone pairred easily and I can make and answer calls. I am missing the signal and battery meters that should display in the information cluster and on the Nav screen. Also there should be other displays such as vm notifaction, etc...

I currently use Cingular Blue (old ATT) and have applied the latest updates to my Treo and still am missing the bells and whistles. I have heard that Sprint users who have applied the latest patch to their Treo 650s have gotten full functionailty.

Hopefully Palm will issue another carkit update soon.

·
Registered
743 Posts
naperguy said:
Why doesn't the caller ID feature work ??? I was looking at the dealer installed version - I also have the Navigation system, will caller ID work with this ?
I don't think the "accessory" is integrated into the car as much as the factory. The accessory version has it's own speaker as well and just mutes the stereo.

I think the factory parts (3 of them) could be easily installed but the ECM -may- need reprogramming by a Chrysler tech.

·
Registered
62 Posts
naperguy said:
The dealer installed version has it's own speaker and microphone, even though it still mutes your car stereo. It is only connected to your stereo for muting purposes. So whether or not you have the NAV system it wont give you caller id. I think you may have a hard time having the dealer try to install the factory version as it uses a totally different wiring system. The only feature you lose is the caller id. the dealer installed version from what i hear from others as well as my experience from my charger is that the dealer installed has a better microphone than the one installed through your rearview mirror. You can always look at your phone to see who is calling. I love it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great info guys. I also have Sprint and noticed they only have one phone w/ bluetooth technolody. My phone is very old so I was going to upgrade anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Alley said:
Thanks for the great info guys. I also have Sprint and noticed they only have one phone w/ bluetooth technolody. My phone is very old so I was going to upgrade anyway.
That is probably the same one I already have. They work great together. The phone is nice too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Alley said:

Let us know the results when you upgrade your phone.

·
Registered
743 Posts
cbenn126 said:
I think you may have a hard time having the dealer try to install the factory version as it uses a totally different wiring system.
A little different maybe, but not hard... it's 3 parts and, MAYBE, a computer program change. The mirror I believe is an auto dim too!

From the info I have collected...

1. The "Telematics" module part number is: 5064-013AH
Uconnect module, behind(and right of) Glovebox

2. the Mirror part number is: 04806228AB
Uconnect and autodim? Charger part #?

3. the harness part number is:05089051AB
Has C1,C2 connectors for Mirror and the Rain Sensor connector.
It runs over the DRIVER's head, just under the front edge of the headliner and down the driver A Pillar.
It connects to the mirror and to the C205 harness just inside the dash where it meets the A Pillar.

This may require dropping (some of) the headliner in addition to removing the A pilar covering to properly route/fasten the harness.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts