Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question might make me look foolish, but why does my R/T have two batteries? One under the hood and one in the trunk. Other than the obvious fact that two is better than one. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
This question might make me look foolish, but why does my R/T have two batteries? One under the hood and one in the trunk. Other than the obvious fact that two is better than one. Thanks!
Look again! The "battery" under the hood isn't a battery, just a fuse panel and some convenience terminals for jump-starting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh snap! Good call! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
I made that mistake too...

So I just assumed that the fuse box was the battery at first, then one day I decided to detail under the hood, and quickly realized it was just the fuse box.

Then I was perplexed. Where's the battery???

I finally had to consult the owner's manual.

Then I felt even more silly. As a former Corvette owner (1980 and 1990 models) you'd have thought I might have looked elsewhere for the battery.

It's not always under the hood. :beat:

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
So I just assumed that the fuse box was the battery at first, then one day I decided to detail under the hood, and quickly realized it was just the fuse box.

Then I was perplexed. Where's the battery???

I finally had to consult the owner's manual.

Then I felt even more silly. As a former Corvette owner (1980 and 1990 models) you'd have thought I might have looked elsewhere for the battery.

:yes:

The wife's '02 Buick had its battery under the rear seat.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
:yes:

The wife's '02 Buick had its battery under the rear seat.
In my 1980 vette it was under a little trap door behind the driver's seat. PITA if you needed to jump start the thing...

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
Yea, before I learned much about these, I looked at one at a dealer... He was giving me the walk-around and showed me the spare tire (SXT) and battery in the trunk. I said, "Oh, why's the battery in the trunk?" He replied, "It's a Mercedes thing." I got a bewildered look on my face :knockout: and said, "ummm.... that's a Dodge!" (thought the salesman was on something there for a minute!) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I was told it was for a 50/50 weight displacement, sure it is. I just think that with a hemi, that massive battery wouldn't fit under the hood.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yea, before I learned much about these, I looked at one at a dealer... He was giving me the walk-around and showed me the spare tire (SXT) and battery in the trunk. I said, "Oh, why's the battery in the trunk?" He replied, "It's a Mercedes thing." I got a bewildered look on my face :knockout: and said, "ummm.... that's a Dodge!" (thought the salesman was on something there for a minute!) :lol: :lol:
Maybe he was referring to the fact that Chrysler partnered up with Diamler-Benz (makers of the Mercedes).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was also told it was a weight distribution thing.

Of course one salesperson told me that the V8 was only avaliable in the SRT and the SXT and R/T where only different in options.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts