Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im planning on installing my door speakers this weekend. I have Alpine Type-R 6.5" components, SPR-17s to be exact. I was planning on making plates so I could mount the woofer and tweeter in the door. But I've spoken to some people and they are saying to put the tweeters up in the dash. But I have a few questions about this...

1. I have an 06 SE, do I have speakers in the dash currently? And will it be a ***** to put the tweeters in there, IE running the speaker wire up there etc?

2. Will it make that much of a difference in sound? I would assume it would help with raising the sound stage, but will it make a noticeable difference??

3. Has anyone done this yet? Any suggestions on how to do it?

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
they should be no more than 6 to 8 inches max from the mid driver it self-but you can also run them in the dash location since the door speakers are not going to be facing right at you. bouncing the highs off the windsheild does work at uping the front stage. you will have to play with the cross over so they are not over bearing [tinny] sounding. start with the cross over at 10 hz's if it adjustable if not them reverse the positive and negitive wires at the tweeter and that will tone down the tweeter if it's to loud in the dash. and no it's not hard to mount them in the dash locations you will just need to make a little bracket to mount them on and use the factory mounting for the speaker that you dont have in that location. dont ever reverse the + or neg on any speaker!!!! it will sound like poop-you can only do that on a tweeter to tone it down if it's play to harsh.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
by the way metra has 5x7 and 6x9 plates that you can buy to fit 6.5's and a tweeter in. also SP products in plantion fla has wood rings and mounts for that- and while you have the door panel off-pick up a can of rust proofing from pep boys and with the window up all the way spray the living chit out of the inside of the door with it and in a couple of days when it harden's up the door will be dead-make sure that you put masking tape over the front window track felt guide that you can see from the speaker hole so as not to fill it with over spray and glue the track closed

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What will rust proofing the door do?? I am going to dynamat every possible inch of the door as I have done with the rest of the car...that should help as well.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
your rear view mirrors will rattle on the front doors -but if you spray a little rust proofing on the door skin right behind the front door mids it will stop that and tightin up the front doors

·
Registered
61 Posts
i put my tweeters on my door next to the door handle it looks nice ill post pics if you guys want me to

1 - 10 of 10 Posts