Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance. I keep seeing this used ( "Turn Key ESP Off" )and I did a quick search but.....My question is how exactly do you do this and how is it more efficient that just hitting the switch that comes standard to turn the ESP off. I have read that turning it off with the switch only partially disables it? What are the "dangers" in using the turn key method. By dangers I mean potential damage to the engine. This tricks "HAL" so we can reach higher RPM's, spin the tires etc? Does "HAL" reingage at some point or does it stay "disconnected" until we shut down and restart the engine? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Start the car get rolling to 10mph turn the key and hold until it chimes, does not engage the starter. Once you hear the chime, you will see BAS, ESP and mr squilles lite up. Now you have no traction control, go burn rubber. It will stay this way until you restart, no harm in doing it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Answered my own questions

I found a great thread that I think answered all of my questions. now I just hope that it works. I have a 2006 #720 so it may be to early a version for this to work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, so far as I know you actually have to turn the car off and then restart it to get the traction control back.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
YOu know, this didn't work for me...I did just what was told, turning the key from a 10 mph roll, and thats all that happened was my air bag light came on?????

·
Registered
453 Posts
Start the car get rolling to 10mph turn the key and hold until it chimes, does not engage the starter. Once you hear the chime, you will see BAS, ESP and mr squilles lite up. Now you have no traction control, go burn rubber. It will stay this way until you restart, no harm in doing it

But why not just hit the ESP button to turn it off? You said that it won't come back on until you turn the car off...same thing that happens when you just hit the button to turn it off. I'm assuming that I'm reading your post wrong somehow.

·
Registered
629 Posts
But why not just hit the ESP button to turn it off? You said that it won't come back on until you turn the car off...same thing that happens when you just hit the button to turn it off. I'm assuming that I'm reading your post wrong somehow.
It turns it ALL the way off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I keep hearing that what you are actually doing is faulting the system. That being said ...is it going to show up on some sort of diagnostic if the car has to go in the shop? If that isn't the intended purpose for that and the dealer sees multiple faults...are they going to assume you are beating it and void your warranty? Yeah thats right...I'm paranoid. I've done it but I'm afraid to abuse Mr. Squiggles.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I've got one....I stick my key in it:lol:
LMAO!!!

Sure if it does blow codes doesn't mean I am beating on the car, the codes are there so what tech will diagnose see no issues and move on.

·
Registered
338 Posts
So what you are saying is to do this while the engine is still turning, or you mean shut if off then turn back on but not to start the engine again? In other words, do you turn the key as if you were turning on the car again? If someone can point me into the thread, that would be great too. I am at work and no time to search... :)

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I have the NoESP.com mod and I still added a switch.

Reason being, if you go to the track, do you really want to be messing around with trying to get this key-turn trick to work or would you rather not worry about it? One flip of the switch and I don't have to think about it until I flip that switch back again. No matter how many times I turn the car on and off.

This key trick is fine and dandy for burning the tires from time to time if you don't go to the track and if friends don't mind watching you idle down the road trying to get this to work first. It's much more impressive to burn them from a dead stop when you need to and not have to screw around first before you can show off.

KnowwhatImean, Vern?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
SOME Chargers will more-fully disable their ESP/Traction Control if, while moving at more than 15 MPH, you turn the key to START and hold it for a few seconds until the system chimes. (Don't worry: the starter WON'T engage!) This doesn't work on all Chargers, though! (HemiChemi)

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
There seems to be a window of build dates where the TurnKey mod (for lack of a better name) works. The earliest build date so far has been 04/06. I don't know when the ending build date is. The original thread was 40+ pages long and I got tired of wading thru it. If your car was built before 04/06, the trick probably won't work.

Like elcobra said, if it's something you're going to be doing a lot, or if it won't work on your car, get the noesp.com kit or rig up your own switch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts