Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me how to turn ESP off. I know i have the ESP button to turn off but from what i read it does not completely turn it off. I hate when i decide to nail it the ESP kicks in. Its for an 08 Charger SXT.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
1) start the car, put it in drive and drive while keeping the speedo over 15MPH

2) while the speedo is over 15mph, turn the ignition key to the right (as if you're starting the car & hold it for 3 seconds)
Don't worry about damaging the starter or something as the car has a lockout protection that protects the starter when the car is running

You will hear a beep and you will see the ESP & traction control icons light up
Now they are completely off

To turn the ESP back on, or put everything back to normal, Just park the car, turn the car off and start it again.

·
Registered
432 Posts

2) while the speedo is over 15mph, turn the ignition key to the right (as if you're starting the car & hold it for 3 seconds)
Don't worry about damaging the starter or something as the car has a lockout protection that protects the starter when the car is running

To turn the ESP back on, or put everything back to normal, Just park the car, turn the car off and start it again.
When I was first told about this I did not believe it until I found countless videos on youtube about it. I cannot believe this is even a design! Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the 15' Chargers have 2 buttons now and the first is traction control and the second is stabilizer control (pretty much what you're turning off when you do this trick)?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
When I was first told about this I did not believe it until I found countless videos on youtube about it. I cannot believe this is even a design! Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the 15' Chargers have 2 buttons now and the first is traction control and the second is stabilizer control (pretty much what you're turning off when you do this trick)?
Im not sure if this works on the 2015,here is info how ESP works on Chrysler vehicles;

http://www.socallx.com/esp_modes.pdf

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't think it was an intentional design. The way I understand it, turning the key to start makes the ESP run through its power-on BIT. Since the car is moving, the BIT fails and the system is disabled. I think Dodge got wise and tied the ESP BIT to something else in later year cars though. I'm guessing that no one designing the system figured that anyone in their right mind would turn the key to start and then hold it there while the car was moving.

·
Registered
3 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts