Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an R/T Charger and it has 34000 miles on it. I can feel a slight hesitation when it is idling and I also feel the same thing when I am cruising on the interstate. I was wondering what may be the cause. I took it in to the the dealer today and the service rep told me that he felt it to. He said the hemi is supposed to be tuned up at 30000 miles and wants to charge me over 200 bucks for spark plugs and a tune up. Is this normal or should I go somewhere else?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Well ln my opinion, I would explain to him that you just bought it from the dealership, and they should have performed all the required services on the vehicle before selling it....I am assuming you bought it from them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it used from a ford dealership and got a good deal. As far as I know all they did was put new tires on it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It could be normal. You will feel the car twitch slightly when the MDS kicks on and off. And the idle is /kinda/ lumpy since it's a big OHV V8. It's certainly not smooth like a Lexus but it has a hairy set of swinging balls. You'll love it!

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I dont know what to tell you man, when you get a car, new or used...let the dealer know you would like to play with the car. Get on the highway, punch it...listen and feel the car....alot of people stop doing this, and it needs to be correted....sorry man

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I just bought an R/T Charger and it has 34000 miles on it. I can feel a slight hesitation when it is idling and I also feel the same thing when I am cruising on the interstate. I was wondering what may be the cause. I took it in to the the dealer today and the service rep told me that he felt it to. He said the hemi is supposed to be tuned up at 30000 miles and wants to charge me over 200 bucks for spark plugs and a tune up. Is this normal or should I go somewhere else?
That is probably in the ballpark as the hemi has 16 plugs

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know what to tell you man, when you get a car, new or used...let the dealer know you would like to play with the car. Get on the highway, punch it...listen and feel the car....alot of people stop doing this, and it needs to be correted....sorry man
She runs great and I am not complaining. It may be the MDS and I am just not used to that feeling yet. But, plugs might help it out. What else will they do when she gets tuned up?

·
Registered
928 Posts
also if its a road and track it may be the load leveling susupention not being fully pumped up. you have to drive a mile straight for it to set its self. I notice untill I do this mine feels like the ass is moving (shimmying) ever so slightly when I rest on the breaks. I know its not in the drive traind because you cant feel it in the steering wheel, that rock solid.

also, you have a 5.7L V8 idleing at 500rmp your going to be able to feel it turn over.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know what the dealership does during the tune up or would it be better if I just put the spark plugs in it myself?

·
Registered
898 Posts
i guess its a regular service u can check your owners manual

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
30k service reccomend Transmission fluid change, Plugs, air filter, oil change
Price changes according to where performed

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Do the tune yourself and save a few bucks on mod money. Let the dealer dump the tranny fluid but the rest you can do. As to the idle is should be smooth as glass at an idle, lumpy exhaust note but the engine shouldn't feel rough. Mine will idle in gear around 550 rpms and you can't feel it or hear it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts