Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an update on my 2006 Charger SRT8 done and it's TSB #18-031-05, I had asked about the TSB #21-020-06 (as read in the Forums) because of my hesitation between 1st and 2nd gear, like its shuttering. The dealer said that was not listed for my car, only the one I had done was available.

It still seems to be bucking the same (on and off) not always, is there no existing TSB- #21-020-06 for my car? and if so , any suggestions are where it can be done?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I had an update on my 2006 Charger SRT8 done and it's TSB #18-031-05, I had asked about the TSB #21-020-06 (as read in the Forums) because of my hesitation between 1st and 2nd gear, like its shuttering. The dealer said that was not listed for my car, only the one I had done was available.

It still seems to be bucking the same (on and off) not always, is there no existing TSB- #21-020-06 for my car? and if so , any suggestions are where it can be done?

Thanks
The TSB 18-031-05 is specified to engine 6.1 and NAG1 automatic transmission built before 7-25-05 but the TSB 21-020-06 does not specify any specific engine or transmission. The TSB 21-020-06 issued in Dec 2006 is a later software update. I would suggest either to readdress with the current dealer or take vehicle to another dealer for 2nd opinion.

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts

Thanks
It has been my experience that any shudder, hesitation, and bump stop are related to a lack of proper friction modifiers in the fluid. These transmissions tend to separate the modifiers by "cooking" them out and dropping them in the trans pan. From then on, the adaptives in the trans will try to shove the clutches together harder as they are slipping and generating more heat. The more they get pushed together the more heat they generate and then one day it is rebuild time.

Designing a QuantumBlue HP ATF+4++IIa fluid for that trans gives you 18% more friction modifiers than is normal in the regular ATF+4 you buy off the shelf or from the dealership. Much better temperature and thermal stability and no more shuddering or hesitation between shifts...especially between 1 and 2...also between 2 and 3.

Best 142.58 you spent on solving the problem!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a difference between a TSB and a service action. Service actions are similar to recalls, TSB stands for "technical service bulletins" which are in place for technicians who scratch their heads with a common issue and a "TSB" describes a way to fix it... It's like us posting little tricks to fix quirks with our cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
It has been my experience that any shudder, hesitation, and bump stop are related to a lack of proper friction modifiers in the fluid. These transmissions tend to separate the modifiers by "cooking" them out and dropping them in the trans pan. From then on, the adaptives in the trans will try to shove the clutches together harder as they are slipping and generating more heat. The more they get pushed together the more heat they generate and then one day it is rebuild time.

Designing a QuantumBlue HP ATF+4++IIa fluid for that trans gives you 18% more friction modifiers than is normal in the regular ATF+4 you buy off the shelf or from the dealership. Much better temperature and thermal stability and no more shuddering or hesitation between shifts...especially between 1 and 2...also between 2 and 3.

Best 142.58 you spent on solving the problem!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

This issue was a very precise problem in the software, and was fixed with revised programming.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/TSB/tsb_wk_2102006.pdf

Any SRT-8 built in 2006 that hasnt had it done should be eligable to have it done. There should be a sticker under the hood saying it was done.

The symptom was specifically, when going WOT in first gear, the shift to second was rough, a stuttery sort of thing, or just wouldnt happen, you would bounce of the rev limiter.

One easy way to see if this is it is go ahead and do a WOT in first while in autostick mode (meaning select manual shift mode). If your car shifts at redline without any intervention, this TSB has already been performed. Prior ro this flash, SRT autostick programming would not upshift at redline in manual, it would just stay in that gear and bounce off the rev limiter.

After the flash, that was changed so that in manual mode, the car would run up to redline, then shift to the next gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts