Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be purchasing a new charger in a couple months and I'm just looking at colors. We test drove a black Charger that really liked, but I'm concerned about black being the hardest to keep clean. But I know when it is clean it's very beautiful! Do other black car owners feel the same? I've had 5 white cars / trucks and I loved them. But I think it's time to change. I really like the dark blue as well...............anybody regret buying a black car?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm going to be purchasing a new charger in a couple months and I'm just looking at colors. We test drove a black Charger that really liked, but I'm concerned about black being the hardest to keep clean. But I know when it is clean it's very beautiful! Do other black car owners feel the same? I've had 5 white cars / trucks and I loved them. But I think it's time to change. I really like the dark blue as well...............anybody regret buying a black car?
I've had dark colored cars, and a couple white cars. Personally, I like the white cars better. However, it's not for cleanliness, but rather temperature. After sitting outside in the sun, the darker cars were always hotter inside that the white cars. Yeah, not what you were looking for, but something else you might want to consider.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I just got rid of a black car and it was a nightmare if you plan to drive it in anything other than sunny weather. Mine was a garage queen and had never seen rain and it was still a pain to take care of. I can't imagine what it would be like to maintain a black daily driver. Black will also show every scratch and will require fairly frequent pain correction throughout the year to keep it looking sharp. It's a beautiful color and very classic but tough to work with.

Both of my current Chargers are white and much easier to maintain although every color needs to be taken care of. Of all the colors I've owned, Granite Grey was the most forgiving. It will still require paint correction for fine scratches but does very well in hiding daily dirt and dust. It's also dark enough to have a more classic and understated look and the pearl absolutely glows in the sun. Other easy to maintain alternatives are Redline Red and B5 Blue

Jazz blue is a gorgeous color as well but will require similar maintenance to black.

Good luck in making your choice. You'll know the right color when you see it.

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Black, when cleaned and polished and waxed correctly is down right beautiful. Can look like liquid when done right. But, it shows everything, Dust, dirt, road grime, bird poop. etc. Mine gets dusty just sitting in the garage.
But if you enjoy detailing your car, regardless of color, there is a great satisfaction in a job well done!

Yes, it's a great color, but its a lot of work as stated by Andy. Just driving it, if you have it spotless will get all dusty and it shows.

Now, if you don't care or you don't have a place to maintain it, don't sweat it.

I have had white (shows dirt but no where near as bad as black) Silver, best at hiding that it's not spotlessly clean.

Oddly my wife is the opposite, her Journey (AKA Pig Pen) gets washed very little and its always in need of a vacuuming. I'll detail it up, 2 days later looks like I didn't so anything. That woman can find mud in a drought! LOL

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Owned three black cars, two of them Chargers. Black in my opinion on muscle cars looks timeless. Lighter colors also look good but I think tend to show the "age" of the design quicker than dark colored ones, so if you're thinking about keeping the car a while this might be something to think about. As said above though, they are a pain to keep clean, you can literary start seeing specks of dust and crap start collecting before you're barely done drying it. If you can clean the car once a week, you'll be happy :rocker: But if you are going to ignore washing it for a few weeks to a month, get a silver or grey one. I've also owned two white cars and they show bugs on their grill way more obvious than other colors. Good luck!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I almost went black. I also test drove one and really liked it. We ended up with the Jazz Blue (the dark blue) because my wife preferred that (and the car really is for her). The other great color I think is the Granite Pearlcoat. That would have been our other color.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think someone here said it...you don't own a black car, the black car owns you! I try to wash mine every 2-3 weeks, but in the right conditions she can look terribly dirty after just a few days. But when you get it clean, man it's gorgeous!

My reasoning for black is that there are SO many plastic parts of the car they just default to black, that black paint kind of masks the "cheapness" :) Whenever I see a colored car, I'm astounded by how many plastic pieces aren't body-color matched...

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I have a red Charger and love that it doesn't show dirt much!!!! :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a Jazz Blue Charger, and it is almost like owning a black car. It shows dirt and scratches (swirl marks). But when it is clean (which I do frequently), it looks great in the sun.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Black is the worse and if you have any form of OCD it will drive you insane. The dark gray, red, silver all hide the dirt well. Your concerns are valid with it comes to the color black.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
My default color was always black but now that I've bought another one and cannot physically wash+detail+wax myself with my back/knee conditions I'm regretting it. Black just always looks dirty unless you cover it in the garage and wash it after every drive. Now I want plum crazy purple, yellow, orange, or red. I think I'm over always defaulting to black. :)

If you have the time to detail the car yourself black is a great color to look at and show off.

Oh and Zander is 100% correct. I hate non-body color body cladding and trim. Looks cheap as sh...

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I've got Billet Silver now and it or Granite Crystal probably the easiest to maintain, loved the Bright White too but will show a bug or splash easy.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have to agree with everyone here that black is hard to keep clean, but you cant beat the looks when it is! I don't know what it is about these '15 and '16 Chargers, but I have never had dirt just sit on the back bumper like this! I also have a black SUV and that doesn't seem to get as dirty as the charger either....my silver '06 is a lot easier to keep clean.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My Charger is my first black car. I'm done with black cars FOREVER. I'm kinda fanatical about a clean car. I use the correct products and techniques (but only by hand), still has scratches and swirls. It's really driving me crazy. I say it has a "20/20 paint job: from 20 feet away or at 20 mph, it looks great". 19 months left on my lease. If I could trade it in today, I would. My next one will be white.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't know what it is about these '15 and '16 Chargers, but I have never had dirt just sit on the back bumper like this!
Same with my 2014. I think water, dirty water, just sits there and dries. Sure does not drain/run off properly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys are all such a big help. I think you all very much. It's going to be a hard choice for me. Almost all my cars have been white. I want to change it up, I don't have a garage, I live in sunny California. ....so we will see when the time comes.......thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
533 Posts
You guys are all such a big help. I think you all very much. It's going to be a hard choice for me. Almost all my cars have been white. I want to change it up, I don't have a garage, I live in sunny California. ....so we will see when the time comes.......thanks again for all the help!

There's always plum crazy to consider.... Just like black except with added awesome! Lol

I am The Sock Monkey and I approve this message

·
Registered
938 Posts
There's always plum crazy to consider.... Just like black except with added awesome! Lol

I am The Sock Monkey and I approve this message
While I am clearly NOT the Sock Monkey I very much approve of the Sock Monkey's message.

Plum Crazy is actually a good in between color. My wife's Challenger R/T Classic was that color. Not as easy as white, silver or grey, but much easier than black.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts