Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how much will or would it take to get another 50hp or so out of our machines? Was wondering from you guys on what steps to take and what are the best ways as if i could squeeze another 50 or so out of the ole girl i might be satisfied!! Go ahead and educate me!! (airraid cai,[email protected] stage 2,magnaflow catback,180 tstat) Now what----You guys are the one who really know

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
zex 100 shot

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Out of an R/T?
1. Exaust
2. Headers
3. CAI and a flash

Out of an SRT?
NOS :) Maybe the "NEW" Chrysler will relase the code the way GM and Ford do. THis would do WONDERS for the aftermarket horsepower crowd. Look at all those sh#tty mustangs running around with tons of horsepower. Why? Because Ford releases their code.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Forthcoming Diablo tune (Reporting 30HP/30TQ gains)
AFE or Airhammer CAI
Catback exhaust with high flow cats

·
Registered
170 Posts
stage 3 heads and cams hhp
BINGO...

Tuners typically max out at half thier claimed HP if that.

Spray is great inexpensive way to go but be careful. Make sure you install properly!!! Spray however is not constant power at all throttle ranges, you must be wide open... not a bad thing :lol: but something to consider.

Heads/Cam/LT's will give you the HP gain you are looking for but is gonna cost you between 4K and 8K. With this combo you have power across the band.

HPP is not the only gig in town, they do have very nice heads but they get all the money for them. There are a few other supporting vendors who also offer nice packages and do quality work for almost half of what HPP is asking. You will probably make more power with HPP but I didn't find the extra $$ to be worth it.

My car is going under the wrench this winter and will be getting Indy Maxx heads, 273 comp cam, and either Kooks or ?? headers.... If you can wait I'll send you the dyno sheets, if not there are a few guys who already have similar packages who will share thier story.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Head and Cam definitely. And it won't cost you $8K. $4-5K for parts. And about $1K for install, unless you know how. Check out Power Ported Performance also. Amazing product, great service, and they're a supporting vendor here on the forums. And it will get you to your 50hp mark and beyond!!
Chase

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Head and Cam definitely. And it won't cost you $8K. $4-5K for parts. And about $1K for install, unless you know how. Check out Power Ported Performance also. Amazing product, great service, and they're a supporting vendor here on the forums. And it will get you to your 50hp mark and beyond!!
Chase
Head and cam just for 50HP?

Sounds like a really poor value

If I am going to spend thousands of dollars I want over 100HP in real RWHP gains

A properly done blower sounds like a much better way to go

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was talking to Jeremy from PPP this weekend about the new head and cam packages they have for the 6.1L, and he said our 370 rwhp goes up to about 450...and that's about 3 grand - give or take a little. I don't know if that 450 assumes a Diablo or B&G flash and full intake/exhaust to achieve it. To me, that's a big gain for not a lot of dough(unless you gotta do a little extra like exhaust). Think about what a head and cam package does for the 5.7, seems to totally transform the engine.

PPP's cam builder has been doing it for like 30+ years and those INDY racing heads definitely bump the power. I'm saving up...

Eric

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I was talking to Jeremy from PPP this weekend about the new head and cam packages they have for the 6.1L, and he said our 370 rwhp goes up to about 450...and that's about 3 grand - give or take a little. I don't know if that 450 assumes a Diablo or B&G flash and full intake/exhaust to achieve it. To me, that's a big gain for not a lot of dough(unless you gotta do a little extra like exhaust). Think about what a head and cam package does for the 5.7, seems to totally transform the engine.

PPP's cam builder has been doing it for like 30+ years and those INDY racing heads definitely bump the power. I'm saving up...

Eric
That sounds better than the 5 grand for 50hp above

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agreed. If I'm dropping 5+ grand I better be getting more than 50hp out of it. You can get into the low 500rwhp, more than 115 horse, if you go SC and that's going to cost you somewhere between 5500-7500. To me going SC still seems like the best deal, esp if you can get the ECU right.

·
Registered
170 Posts
3K (+/-) parts + 1K install = 4K (+/-), That is head/cam = 60 RWHP (ish)

4K (+/-) parts + 1K install = 5K (+/-), That is head/cam/LT = 80 RWHP (ish)

NOTE: The quote I got was a little less than what I listed above
Assume B&G is already installed.
I consider those prices a bargan!

I'm not sure where the poor value is. Won't supercharging be the same cost with potentially less performance since the cost does not address swaping out pistons/cam to get optimal boost?

·
Registered
327 Posts
One simply has to hope that the injection/advance maps are the primary culprit(s). I mean, er, ah, CO2 is such a dastardly Greenhouse Gas that, with not quite twice the absorptive capacity, and about the same elevated heat retention capacity of nitrogen and oxygen (which BTW make up about 99% of the atmosphere), that taking it from .0375% of the atmosphere to 0.1% (we would need a tad more instantly burnable fossil fuels to even remotely make this possible) would make something like a hill of beans worth of difference...........

In terms of global warming

That is.

Wait just a goldarned minute! I seem to remember that methane has (depending upon who you believe) between 30 to 40 times the infrared absorptive capacity of CO2.

And just what do you think, praytell, Neanderthals were doing after their meager numbers discovered beans?

You guessed it.

They raised sea level with all that organically generated methane. (praz da lard!)

Bloody proto-humans! What on this green earth were they thinking?

Uh, sorry! What was the question?

Be back in a sec. Malted Barley Soda is depleted........

Answer: Former DCX needed to appease both the carbon police and their previous overlords. Not all that different from any other regulated thing. What we have here is a sweet, possibly the last of its breed, seriously powerful barn burner. If you can afford to, and if you feel inclined to, explore the chemical and physical limits of this beastly donk, best not waste any time. I am not so sure we will have all that many other chances.

I am going for it. SeeYaBye.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Agreed. If I'm dropping 5+ grand I better be getting more than 50hp out of it. You can get into the low 500rwhp, more than 115 horse, if you go SC and that's going to cost you somewhere between 5500-7500. To me going SC still seems like the best deal, esp if you can get the ECU right.
How do you handle boost in a high compression motor? Seems like you can only run 2-3LBS in a 10.5:1 situation... Other who have actually SC on this forum have rebuilt there lower end to be 8:1 compression and swaped cams....

Do you have dyno sheets on SRT8's getting 115RWHP with a SC and no other mods? If so I'm scraping my head/cam/lt install!!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Head and cam just for 50HP?

Sounds like a really poor value

If I am going to spend thousands of dollars I want over 100HP in real RWHP gains

A properly done blower sounds like a much better way to go
I said 50.....AND BEYOND.....you must have chose not to read that part.....
Chase

·
Registered
676 Posts
Heads, cam and long tubes will get you good power but not as much as a turbo or a supercharger will get you. The problem is that running any type of forced induction on an engine that was never designed to handle it means that it will eventually break said motor. If you get a blower, build the motor to handle it or start banking cash to rebuild after she blows. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
In the old days some motors were strong enough to take FI stock. The 5.0 liter Mustang engine was a champ for that since the bottom end came forged from the factory.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How do you handle boost in a high compression motor? Seems like you can only run 2-3LBS in a 10.5:1 situation... Other who have actually SC on this forum have rebuilt there lower end to be 8:1 compression and swaped cams....

Do you have dyno sheets on SRT8's getting 115RWHP with a SC and no other mods? If so I'm scraping my head/cam/lt install!!!
Not at all, my bad I should have been more clear. As the other thread talks about, building up the engine and lowering the compression ratio is the only safe way to go about blowing the engine. The SC cost (what I was getting at) is going to be in the 5-7K range. IMO you can't go the SC route YET without getting into a safe compression ratio for the engine. That was the mistake made early on with guys who blew their engines. The 6.1 stock, the way it is, is too high CR wise to have FI so the head/cam/lt install should still be your route. You could still go SC but I think it's too risky without building up the engine and internals for the forced induction. You could be fine, and you could blow your engine. You're going to spend more money if you do it right, so it all comes back to how deep your pockets are. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts