Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, n00b here.

My cousin has an '08 Charger 3.5l V6 that ran into some oil issues which ended up causing the rocker arms to seize and trashed the bulk of the bearings - among other nasty things. After scouting for some used engines the 4.0 seemed to come up close to 1/2 the price of the 3.5 so we are in the midst of putting the 4.0 in. We are using the 4.0 from a 2007 AWD Chrysler Pacifica.

I haven't been able to find much on doing this swap, but it seems incredibly simple. We have the old engine out now and prepping the 'new' engine to go in, should have it all wrapped up on the next few days. If someone has links to any write-ups or pics that would be great, if not I can start documenting for anyone interested.

The biggest headache we have had on this car so far is how ridiculous the starter location is, is there a better way aside from pulling the LH manifold to install and connect the starter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got everything buttoned up and running tonight. Very happy with the swap, super easy and runs like a top.

While I found that you can disassemble the steering linkage foe the starter, it was much easier for us to just install the LH manifold afterwards.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Probe:
Congrats on a successful transplant! It's one thing to do an engine swap, but when you are bumping displacement or otherwise doing a non factory install, that can be such a rough road. It's good to know that those with a tired 3.5 can install the 4.0, gain a cube or two, and get away from some of the issues inherent to the 3.5.

I always felt that the 2.7 was too small to be in a car like the Charger or 300. Both are too nice to be unable to "get out of their own way."

Please continue to update on how it runs, and if it seems to have any extra pep over the 3.5.

Don

·
Super Moderator
11,482 Posts
I think this is a first. Congrats!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Guys. I will post pictures shortly, but here is a basic rundown.

The block is essentially the same, this would be difficult to do without a spare (or damaged) 3.5 as you need to swap a great deal over. Aside from buying new gaskets for items removed/swapped over and a new timing set & water pump everything came from the old 3.5. The 4.0 needs to be taken down to block and heads, which also gives you a great opportunity to address any maintenance items. Everything was cleaned/tanked before it was swapped over.

Items to get swapped from the 3.5 to the 4.0
The oil pan and pickup
Intake manifold (upper and lower)
Front timing cover and backplate
Exhaust manifolds
Valve covers
Flex plate (looks identical, but we swapped it anyway)
Fuel rail and injectors
All sensors from the 3.5, some are identical but we know they all worked in the 3.5 so they got swapped over.

No electronics issues, no startup problems, car doesn't notice the difference but the torque improvement is absolutely felt. Cranked over the first time, ran fresh dino oil and filter brought up to operating temp, ran for a few minutes then drained and then put in synthetic and a new filter. Took the car out of the shop then washed the grime off and headed out for its maiden voyage. My cousin drove it all night, absolutely ecstatic.

Oh, we also pulled the 3.5 badges off, new 4.0 ones will be going on soon :banana:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some unsorted pictures from along the way. Aside from a hard to find casting in the block, you'd never know it was a 4 litre.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice work.

Now if anyone can shove an ecodiesel in there I'd be in line to buy
Bring me a car, an engine, and a checkbook and I'm sure we can make that happen. :beer_yum:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing of note, in the future, aside from engine internals, any part you buy from an auto parts store you can just get for the 3.5 so it's easy to maintain unlike other swaps that you have to use a different car model or year to get the right items.

·
Registered
858 Posts
That is pretty damn neat, it's usually quite a feat to make another engine work in a modern car with all the electronics...even similar engines.

And being a former Jeep guy, I almost got excited that you put the Jeep I6 4.0 in it lol....

Nice job!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is pretty damn neat, it's usually quite a feat to make another engine work in a modern car with all the electronics...even similar engines.

And being a former Jeep guy, I almost got excited that you put the Jeep I6 4.0 in it lol....

Nice job!
Thanks. If I run into enough electronics concerns' I just put a standalone EMS in there and move on :grin2:

I am a fan of the i6 4.0 as well, but the 4.0 V6 is actually a very nice engine, pretty stout too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. If I run into enough electronics concerns' I just put a standalone EMS in there and move on :grin2:

I am a fan of the i6 4.0 as well, but the 4.0 V6 is actually a very nice engine, pretty stout too.

Excellent info! Way back in 2010 when I bought my 3.5 Challenger SE, I followed a thread on another forum where a guy stroked a 3.5 with a 4.0 crank. Seemed like an awful lot of work to do but nobody at the time was quite sure how to just do a 4.0 swap. You seem to have answered the magic questions. The only question I have now is "will this car make it through an emissions inspection"?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Excellent info! Way back in 2010 when I bought my 3.5 Challenger SE, I followed a thread on another forum where a guy stroked a 3.5 with a 4.0 crank. Seemed like an awful lot of work to do but nobody at the time was quite sure how to just do a 4.0 swap. You seem to have answered the magic questions. The only question I have now is "will this car make it through an emissions inspection"?

While we don't have emissions testing in Michigan, I don't see why it wouldn't as none of the emission controls have changed. As far as the electronics and ancillaries are concerned nothing has changed.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Good job! I am definitely impressed with both your courage to take a leap into the unknown and actually get it done!

One thing I would advise would be to research the efficacy of the 3.5’s tune running in the 4.0. Obviously it works, but how well is it working? Could a custom tune be done to truly run the 4.0 params on the 4.0 engine. Might be worth some extra HP/TQ, not to mention MPGs.

Good luck with it going forward, and congrats again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Good job! I am definitely impressed with both your courage to take a leap into the unknown and actually get it done!

One thing I would advise would be to research the efficacy of the 3.5’s tune running in the 4.0. Obviously it works, but how well is it working? Could a custom tune be done to truly run the 4.0 params on the 4.0 engine. Might be worth some extra HP/TQ, not to mention MPGs.

Good luck with it going forward, and congrats again!
Thanks for the compliments. I don't have any Dodge tune hardware and generally only use standalone ECU's for full performance builds, but this was done simply to have a decent running car and the 3.5 is unrealistically expensive in the used engine market. There probably isn't much to gain from a cal here anyway aside from perhaps some timing and shift points. Based on the engine design, the ECM should know more than enough to compensate for the change since it's mostly calculations of MAP/HEGO in the first place the bore and stroke are of little concern to a decent ECM.

Personally, the Charger (or muscle car world for that matter) isn't my scene, but I do appreciate a good V6 and small displacement engines in general. I wouldn't have even taken this car in if it wasn't family, but hopefully I have been able to add some valuable information and 'light the torch' so to speak for someone else to carry. I've always appreciated the collective power of a good forum but it's nothing if people don't have valuable content to add which is why I registered here. :rocker:

as an aside: The owner has already been called out as not knowing or lying about having a 4.0 in the car, I guess that's the beauty of ignorance :slap:

·
Registered
316 Posts
as an aside: The owner has already been called out as not knowing or lying about having a 4.0 in the car, I guess that's the beauty of ignorance :slap:
I thought about that when you brought up the 4.0 badging.

He's gonna be thought of as a pompous-ignorant-ricer-arse all of his traffic days. I guarantee a whole lot of roll-eyes and head-shakes coming....:driving:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts