Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my SRT, I checked all the fluids, and I was surprised to see a sealed trans tube instead of a dipstick. I'm guess the trans is "maintenance free" to 100K or so? I'm big on maintenance and changing fluids to hopefully extended the life of the vehicle.

Are any of you guys changing the trans filter and fluid in your Chargers? I understand that I can go buy a dipstick for the trans tube. I'm a little concerned not being able to check the trans fluid. I would imagine if its not leaking, the level is fine, but I just prefer the piece of mind. I only have about 9K miles, but I think I will change the fluid around 30K.

Any thoughts???

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
When I bought my SRT, I checked all the fluids, and I was surprised to see a sealed trans tube instead of a dipstick. I'm guess the trans is "maintenance free" to 100K or so? I'm big on maintenance and changing fluids to hopefully extended the life of the vehicle.

Are any of you guys changing the trans filter and fluid in your Chargers? I understand that I can go buy a dipstick for the trans tube. I'm a little concerned not being able to check the trans fluid. I would imagine if its not leaking, the level is fine, but I just prefer the piece of mind. I only have about 9K miles, but I think I will change the fluid around 30K.

Any thoughts???
The dealer checks mine every time I have the oil changed. I bought 5 years worth of oil changes for $29.95 each when I bought the beast. Not a bad deal when you consider the price of Mobile 1 and the filter. They do a 100% check of all fluids, belts, and hoses at no charge. If you do your own then I'd suggest getting the dipstick and checking it everytime you change the oil. I'd also change it according to the mainainance schedule listed in the owners manual. More often might not hurt, but who knows? There's a reason the factory printed "Dealer Service Only" on the dipstick plug.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Any thoughts???
I changed mine at 30k at the dealer, I think it was like $165. I don't know if it is the case on the 08s and newer models, but the first few years had bad o-rings that were prone to leaking. While there was a TSB for an easy fix, checking our tranny fluid level is a little tricky because the fluid level is temperature dependant, and I feel like they fixed the leak and maybe guessed at the level quickly and sent me on my way. After a while, my car sounded and felt a little clunky while autosticking, especially after I had the Predator for a while. A tranny service at the dealer and all noises are gone and it works good as ever, I suspect our transmissions are a little sensitive to the fluid level based on my experience but I cannot say for sure. As far as getting the dipstick, you need a corresponding table to be able to read the level correctly and you need to be able to measure the temperature of the fluid pretty accurately...not exactly easy. Our trannies are really good and so long as the o-ring doesn't leak I bet it's good for the long haul unless you REALLY beat on it - but even people that really flog them do not have problems. After about 550-600 hp/tq though it seems like they need to be upgraded.

Eric

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a reason the factory printed "Dealer Service Only" on the dipstick plug.
Yea, so people bring it back to the dealer for service and they make the money on the maintenance.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Yea, so people bring it back to the dealer for service and they make the money on the maintenance.
No. it's not a money making conspiracy game. It's to protect the tranny, especially now that they have a lifetime powertrain warranty. Mopar also had a history of tranny problems and wants make sure that remains in the past.

Hey, you trusted the factory to design, test and build it. Why not trust the factory as to how to maintain it and let factory trained and factory authorized personel do the maintanance?

·
Vendor
10,369 Posts
I suggest getting it changed between 40 and 50k. Obviously, I would prefer you go with a custom blended QuantumBlue NAG1 W5A580 transmission fluid.

We put more and heavier duty friction modifiers in our ATF4 blend and our QuantumBlue Technologies that will keep the modifers from cooking out.

The big problem with all electronic solenoid shifted transmissions is that they cook out the modifers and they drop in the pan. You of course do not know that the trans is slipping internally because you have a torque modified shift controlled by your TCM. By the time that the trans is starting to slip or you notice it is slipping it is roasted. Changing the fluid and adopting a heavier duty trans fluid will help the trans last much longer and without compromising the integrity.

Thanks
Brian
440-821-9040 :bigthumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
And there is no lifetime powertrain warranty on the SRT models! So it really puts the focus back on us to ensure we are taking care of these beasts...or at least break it before the warranty runs out!

Schmidtty

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You can also get the 7 year/100,000 mile premium extended warranty like I did when I bought my SRT.;)
You can, but that's not going to change what they print in the owners manual... :bigthumb:

They offered to do mine for like $165 too, but I haven't had it done yet, 34k miles, probably change it next oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I had mine flushed and the fluid change at around 33k, on the dealers recommendation.

In my old 96 Cougar, I had to have it flushed every 25k miles or it would start to act funny. Went 186,000 before I got rid of it, so I'm a believer.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
You can, but that's not going to change what they print in the owners manual... :bigthumb:
Very true. That's why I always follow the maintainance schedule in my manual! The 7/100 warranty just gives me more time to push it hard and break anything that's weak and have the factory pay to replace it!;)

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much was the 7/100 warranty?
I just looked at all of the original purchase paperwork and it'd kinda hard to decipher what cost what.

As I remember, the extended warranty was listed at about $4000 but I actually got it for about $1800 or so. All I really remember is that after I negotiated eveything else and then said I wanted it, it only added about $25/mo to my 72 month payment.

The beauty of it is that if you every sell the car, the extended warranty doesn't go with the car. Chrysler cancels it and you get reimbursed for the remaining pro-rated balance. I got a check back from Chrysler for about $1300 on my '05 Magnum SXT AWD extended warranty when I traded it for the SRT-8.:bigthumb:

·
Vendor
10,369 Posts
The important thing to remember about these transmissions the 42LE (4 speed) and the NAG 1 (W5A580) is that they are torque modified transmissions. This means they depend on the friction modifiers in the transmission fluid to help the clutch packs grab quickly and with the least amount of friction. As the transmission continues to shift, it tends to separate or cook the modifers out of the basic fluid and leaves it with more slippage. The transmission continues to adjust for this and tries to push the clutchpacks together harder and harder until you finally feel the trans starting to slip. By that time, the trans and the fluid is basically toast.

Changing the fluid on or before the recommended interval limits the damage that occurs within the unit but does not address the inherent flaws in the fluids.

Where we come in is we add more of and heavier duty friction modifiers in our blends of ATF+4 using our own Mineral Synthesis based lubricants while adding to the mix appropriate amounts of QuantumBlue catalysts and additives to bolster and keep the modifiers in place even under extreme heat and friction applications. Keep the modifiers in place, the trans grabs much better and without damage creating less heat causing the modifiers to survive longer.....big circle here.

Hope this clarifies.:bigthumb:

Thanks
Brian
440-821-9040

1 - 15 of 15 Posts