Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello, my 2008 dodge charger R/T has 108911 miles on it, a while back around 1 and a half months ago when i did a oil change at my local dodge dealership they said my trans fluid was "dirty"?

I did search on the forum about it, i read that its not recommended doing a trans flush on cars over 50-60k ? because it would do damage and would upset the the transmission.

i wanted a second opinion on it, since i baby my charger so much.

PS: I am not the first owner, i got the vehicle when i had 104,xxx miles on it. since then i have given it an oil change. As much i tried i could not get a hold on information regarding if it has had a transmission flush.

With all this said, Would a transmission flush be recommended?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
From what I've read across forums - No, a flush is not recommended.

Not sure why..I'm sure someone with more expertise would be able to chime in..

But a transmission flush and transmission fluid change are two different things - no?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
read your manual... when does it recommend an oil CHANGE? Trans flush? BAD idea!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick response :D, yeah its a good thing i didn't then, i heard it causes problems. i just really wanted a second opinion, what about the differential fluid change?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Change the fluid and screen and NEVER HAVE IT FLUSHED!

This is especially true on higher mileage fluid changes.

Flushing involves pressurized flow that WILL dislodge the sludge and debris that is sitting quietly in transmission and cause it to come out in big nasty chunks that clog the internals and cause transmission failure.

Think of it as suddenly dislodging latent plaque in your arteries by raising your blood pressure to over 200 and having a stroke as a result. The risk increases as you get older...just like your transmission. ;)

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
hello, my 2008 dodge charger R/T has 108911 miles on it, a while back around 1 and a half ago when i did a oil change at my local dodge dealership they said my trans fluid was "dirty"?

I did search on the forum about it, i read that its not recommended doing a trans flush on cars over 50-60k ? because it would do damage and would upset the the transmission.

PS: I am not the first owner, i got the vehicle when i had 104,xxx miles on it. since then i have given it an oil change. As much i tried i could not get a hold on information regarding if it has had a transmission flush.

NO, do NOT do a flush on the trans.

When you do that with that many miles you can pump things into the valve body and other places and fubar the trans!

I know of several people who didn't listen to what I said and did so and the trans didn't work right and kept going into limp in mode.

It took them 3 times to rebuild the trans before it finally had all the shavings out of it.

We have recommended getting 2 gallons of our QuantumBlue ATF+4++ IIa trans fluid + QuantumBlue Filter and Gasket Kit and do a pan drain and fill. Remember the solution to pollution is dilution!

Best $142.58 you will ever spend.

At that mileage, the 18% more friction modifier we add will make the torque converter fluid the same as our fluid.

The NAG1 is a good trans but at that mileage you want to change it NOT FLUSH IT!;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
This is where the language can cause troubles. A flush, to a lot of folks, indicates a process where the hook up a machine that uses pressure and chemical treatments to forcibly change all the fluid and remove contaminants and such.

On older cars, there is enough debris (tiny particles of worn friction plates, etc) laying around where the natural movement of fluid leaves it that changing that flow disturbs and distributes it in places where it can do very bad things. Think of a clear mountain stream, and someone goes stomping around in an eddy area where stuff has settled. A lot of crap ends up going downstream.

Back in the early days of complete transmission fluid replacement, this was the only process. But now there is an another option, where they basically hook up a tank with two reservoirs, one for your old bad fluid, and one for new fluid. The machine never pumps anything, just lets the trans pump in the new fluid at it's own pace and pressure. And collects the old fluid as it comes out. This is a safer process for an older car.

Reactions: Jamesxo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks For the information guys! so much help! Well i want to perform the fluid change and filter change but since I've never done something like that i would be semi scared to change the fluid my self. I mean I've done other things but I've never changed out like the oil and other fluids. and i am aware of GLHS837's Write up about changing it but... i think i would mess up something.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Thanks For the information guys! so much help! Well i want to perform the fluid change and filter change but since I've never done something like that i would be semi scared to change the fluid my self. I mean I've done other things but I've never changed out like the oil and other fluids. and i am aware of GLHS837's Write up about changing it but... i think i would mess up something.
The pan drain and fill is not that hard to do. It is like changing your engine oil but instead of just pulling the plug, you drop the pan.

I know you are aware of the writeup from GLHS837, but here is something I wrote a while back that is basically a step by step.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160468

Also Flattop's transmission after 30k miles of racing with a 5.7L Hemi and a supercharger using QuantumBlue!

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175289

Jamesxo, have a little confidence in yourself! :beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
hello, my 2008 dodge charger R/T has 108911 miles on it, a while back around 1 and a half ago when i did a oil change at my local dodge dealership they said my trans fluid was "dirty"?

Chrysler recommends to follow the maintenance guidelines in your Owner's Manual. The manual will advise when a transmission fluid change is required and the type of fluid to use. Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do not require regular flushing. This includes the engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid and refrigerant. Note: Instances where a failure has occurred and/or they system has been compromised, contaminated or overheated beyond normal operating range, would be the only exception to this recommendation.

From Owner's Manual:
Perform Maintenance Every (Where time and mileage
are listed, follow the interval that occurs first.)

Change the automatic transmission fluid & filter if
using your vehicle for any of the following: police,
taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.
At 60,000 miles or 60 months

Change the automatic transmission fluid & filter.
At 120,000 miles or 120 months

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish there was a video on doing this, like more detail, im considering on doing it myself,, and i want to use that QuantumBlue, i have no lift :/

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
I wish there was a video on doing this, like more detail, im considering on doing it myself,, and i want to use that QuantumBlue, i have no lift :/

Even if you don't have a lift you can get jack stands that are 3 ton each and position them correctly under the car using your hydraulic jack. Once safely positioned and a chock behind BOTH rear wheels, you would be fine to use a hydraulic jack 2.5 or 3.5 ton and support the tail of the transmission. Then take the brace out from underneath the trans with the 4 bolts.

Loosen up the pan bolts with the front two still partly attached. pry the back of the pan down breaking the seal and have a drain pan under the back to catch all the fluid.

Pull the gasket off the pan and then proceed to take out the filter with O-ring

Then replace the filter with our QuantumBlue Ultra HP NAG1 Transmission filter....o-ring is already affixed and put it into the trans valve body hole.

Put the new gasket fit around the pan after you clean the magnet and flush it out with brake clean.

Put the pan back up in the correct fashion and torque the bolts to 8 nm or 71 inch lbs

Next measure EXACTLY what came out of the transmission as far as volume of fluid and then shake up the QuantumBlue transmission fluid and add the exact same amount to the trans.

The solution to pollution is dilusion!

Start the car up after you take it off the jack stands and remove the wheel chocks from the rear wheels. Put it in neutral and then back and forth to reverse and drive. Neutral, then reverse and then drive.

Once it is working properly then drive the car.

Voilia...you are finished. Saved $150.00 from shop or dealership.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok 370 HEMI i have some questions if its not too troubling..

1. If i did buy the kit what does it include?

2. Would it matter where the magnet is located when i put the pan back on?

3. When i put the pan back on, wouldn't there be a chance on when putting the bolts back on that the gasket could tear?

4. Is removing the crossmember effect anything?

5. When adding the fluid back to the trans, it would ofcourse be located on the engine where the dipstick goes correct?

6. even with measuring the fluid that was dropped, its not gonna be the same exact amount of fluid that was dropped. how much quantumblue would i know to put back in the engine? would i need a dip stick

im sorry for all the questions 370 hemi :/ :)

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I do have a fluid change scheduled for mine coming up, once I finish trimming off the living room floor. Maybe I can get one of my kids to video the process.

Reactions: Jamesxo

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
ok 370 HEMI i have some questions if its not too troubling..

1. If i did buy the kit what does it include? 2 gallons of QB ATF+4++ IIa fluid, 1 QB HP gasket for the pan and the filter + O-ring.

2. Would it matter where the magnet is located when i put the pan back on?
You will see where the magnet is affixed and you just have to put it back where it came from. Not even a problem here!

3. When i put the pan back on, wouldn't there be a chance on when putting the bolts back on that the gasket could tear?

The gasket is a molded rubber type designed to fit right on the edges of the pan so it is really easy to seat and put back where is belongs. Again, not a problem here at all. Your biggest issue is making sure you have the torx screwdriver and an inch lb torque wrench. Harbor Freight is a good place to get one reasonably if you don't have one.

4. Is removing the crossmember effect anything? It is simply there to support the transmission mount and the torque from the engine and trans system. Once you support the tail stock from the trans with the hydraulic jack and some pieces of 2x4 or wood etc you are golden to take it down.

5. When adding the fluid back to the trans, it would of course be located on the engine where the dipstick goes correct?

Correct. It has the little black star looking cap that sais dealer only use.

6. Even with measuring the fluid that was dropped, its not gonna be the same exact amount of fluid that was dropped. how much QuantumBlue would i know to put back in the engine? would i need a dip stick

Typically you would loose only about 2 oz of fluid in full volume from what you took out once you measure it. Once you find out the amount of quarts you have then add 2 oz and you are back to what you would have had anyway. Some people get 4 ft zip ties from a home improvement store and measure the trans cold and mark it. Then they put it down the tube and mark it hot. This tells you were it should be if you wanted to check and verify.

im sorry for all the questions 370 hemi :/ :)
It is never a problem. We have been doing this for almost 6 years on this forum in Feb 2015. Always here to help, give guidance and make materials for those who want better!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@GLHS837 that would be awsome!

@370 Hemi

Your information has been awsome!! makes me confident about doing the fluid change. in a couple of weeks probably , although im gonna be looking for a lift already, seems to be easier with it. And when i do find one ill be sure to order your product! bookmarking this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts