Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Charger R/T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologize if this is posted somewhere else.
My 2016 R/T downshifts hard when coming to a stop. It’s not in sports mode either. Anyone else having or have had this problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
153 Posts
My 2019 Scat Pack will often do the same thing, I believe it's a normal function of these ZF 8-Speed transmissions.

·
Registered
2016 Charger R/T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Does it seem to ease up when the car has been driven for a while?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
It's not really "normal," but it isn't uncommon either. I have experienced the same on my low mileage scatpack when the transmission is cold. It's only happened a few times though.

Best,

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
153 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Does it seem to ease up when the car has been driven for a while?
Yeah, as RitzRT said it's mainly when it's not at operating temperature/still cold.

·
Registered
2016 Charger R/T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not really "normal," but it isn't uncommon either. I have experienced the same on my low mileage scatpack when the transmission is cold. It's only happened a few times though.

Best,
Thanks for the reply. Yes it’s definitely worst when the transmission is cold. Unbearable at times thinking the transmission is going to drop out. Once heats up it’s not at bad. As you said it’s not normal, is this something I should get check out or deal with? I have a 2016 which mean the 5 year power train just ended.. my luck! Thanks man

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes it’s definitely worst when the transmission is cold. Unbearable at times thinking the transmission is going to drop out. Once heats up it’s not at bad. As you said it’s not normal, is this something I should get check out or deal with? I have a 2016 which mean the 5 year power train just ended.. my luck! Thanks man
How many miles on it? You could always try changing the fluid/filter. Instructions to change it and some recommendations for fluids are in this thread:

Ignore the flame throwing from the sales person who used to frequent these groups. Or you could just ask your dealer to do it and pay a lot more.

The youtube video is pretty helpful.

Best,

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Bjs:
What was your Charger's in service date? If it's late in the model year, you might have some PT warranty left. It would not hurt to look into it. If expired, but recently, sometimes they can do a goodwill repair.

Don

·
Registered
2016 Charger R/T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many miles on it? You could always try changing the fluid/filter. Instructions to change it and some recommendations for fluids are in this thread:

Ignore the flame throwing from the sales person who used to frequent these groups. Or you could just ask your dealer to do it and pay a lot more.

The youtube video is pretty helpful.

Best,
It has 40000. The 5 year PT I believe expired 2021 which means I should have gotten this checked out beforehand!

·
Registered
2016 Charger R/T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bjs:
What was your Charger's in service date? If it's late in the model year, you might have some PT warranty left. It would not hurt to look into it. If expired, but recently, sometimes they can do a goodwill repair.

Don
thank you for your response.

2016 with 40,000 miles. Definitely low for its year. Once the transmission heats up it’s not as bad.

The 5 year PT ended I believe 2021 if that’s how it works. The dealerships here in Indiana can be hit or miss but it’s worth giving them a call.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Some other folks have reported success with disconnecting the battery for a while (5-10 mins) and then taking it for a spin when you reconnect the battery and it "re-learns". I haven't done that myself so just recalling what others had tried in the past.

Best,

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2019 R/T with under 8,500 miles has done this a few times, even when at full operating temperature. It also has this “slipping” type sensation when I take off from a dead stop. It’ll feel like it’s slipping then thump into 2nd. Not very pleased with this transmission

·
Registered
2016 Charger R/T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some other folks have reported success with disconnecting the battery for a while (5-10 mins) and then taking it for a spin when you reconnect the battery and it "re-learns". I haven't done that myself so just recalling what others had tried in the past.

Best,
Thank you buddy. I’ll try that and see!
My 2019 R/T with under 8,500 miles has done this a few times, even when at full operating temperature. It also has this “slipping” type sensation when I take off from a dead stop. It’ll feel like it’s slipping then thump into 2nd. Not very pleased with this transmission
taking into the shop on Monday I’ll keep you updated! Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
193 Posts
Turn the ignition on, then press the gas all the way to the floor, then turn the car off. Wait for 5 min, then turn it back on, this will reset the TCM. Also if you bought the car after todays date in 2016 you still have a warranty. Your warranty is 5 / 60,000 from the date and mileage at the time of purchase, the model year and mileage at sale has nothing to do with it. If you bought the car on June 23rd of 2016 with 437 miles on it you have a warranty until June 23rd of 2021 and 60,437 miles.

Edit: There are also a few reprograms they've done on this trans to smooth out shifting issues. You may just simply need to have it flashed to the newest version.

·
Registered
2016 Charger R/T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turn the ignition on, then press the gas all the way to the floor, then turn the car off. Wait for 5 min, then turn it back on, this will reset the TCM. Also if you bought the car after todays date in 2016 you still have a warranty. Your warranty is 5 / 60,000 from the date and mileage at the time of purchase, the model year and mileage at sale has nothing to do with it. If you bought the car on June 23rd of 2016 with 437 miles on it you have a warranty until June 23rd of 2021 and 60,437 miles.

Edit: There are also a few reprograms they've done on this trans to smooth out shifting issues. You may just simply need to have it flashed to the newest version.
Taking it to the dealership on Monday the power train is good until July. So hopefully whatever is wrong will be covered.

They said once they get it in they will go from there of course. I know warranty work some dealers don’t like doing.
Thanks for replying, big help and much appreciated

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
193 Posts
I know warranty work some dealers don’t like doing.
If a dealer avoids warranty work, avoid that dealer.

The only reasons they avoid warranty work are;

Their techs are shit and can't diagnose issues correctly the first time. - Manufacturers reject claims that don't solve the issue so they can't just keep guessing and get paid for all of it.

They're performing unnecessary repairs and billing for them. - Manufacturers ask for broken parts to be analyzed for QA/QC compliance from vendors and internally. If you say the car needs an alternator because it has a loose battery cable and Chrysler asks for the unit to test your SOL for reimbursement on that job.

If you have competent techs and you're an honest dealer warranty work pays fine. Granted not as much as customer work, but it's not a huge difference. Also, legally they have to do the work it's a federal law, they don't have a choice. There was a Mazda dealership by me that lost their franchise rights and were sued by Mazda and the Feds for refusing warranty work. The DMV had received complaints about them and set up a sting. It was kind of a big deal here they found they had been laundering money, selling stolen cars with VINS off of totaled cars, selling flood cars as CPO's, selling grey market cars, selling buy back lemons without identifying them, it was a giant shit show. If they had just done the warranty work they may not have gotten caught.

·
Registered
2018 Charger SXT
47 Posts
It sounds like its either in the valve body, or possibly it may need reflashed at a dealer. If it is in the valve body, these transmissions are replace only, the dealer cant repair them because the German manufacturer wont let them.

·
Registered
2018 Charger SXT
47 Posts
So what’s the update?
Not sure there is one, but might have one for that symptom. Seems like thats always the first step. If it doesnt help, then your looking at a transmission because to my knowledge they dont have a replacement valve body. You might call a dealer and see whats available

1 - 20 of 21 Posts