Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car went into limp mode 9 days after I bought it. Nearly killed me going through intersection. Car gets towed back to dealer. This is the crap they are telling me. The code told them to change the transmission fluid and filter!
Why I asked, the fluid would never send a message to the computer. I then asked.. Are you telling me that every 2006 Charger built should have this service? YES he said any transmission built before MAY 2005. Call your dealers boys and girls. I'm curious what they tell you. Please let me know. Here is my dealers phone number. Have your dealer call them to confirm. 201-818-4100. Bergen County Dodge Ramsey New Jersey.

FYI Your build date is on the sticker inside the drivers door.

·
Registered
662 Posts
What if your Charger was built in May? What would have changed in their process between the two months? And what's the problem with the original trans fluid?

:confused:

edit: did you mean may 2005??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I meant 2005.

I have know idea. I really think my dealer is feeding me a bunch of crap. That's why I would appreciate any confirmations.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Frustation seems to be sitting in. I don't blame you, I'd be pi$$ed off! I checked my car and it was MFR'd in 6/05. However, I have a 2001 Mitsu that has 134K on it, it has dropped into limp mode several times. I took it in as told by a reputable mechanic, who told me to change the fluids/filter and add the X14/K14 stuff (15 bucks a bottle) and see if that takes care of it. Well... after 2 weeks of driving it around in limp mode, the problem seems to have disappeared. Point being, that it just might be that simple, however, your car is BRAND NEW and there is absolutely no call for the treatment you have gotten. I would be screaming to high heavens at someone.

The transmission is built by Mercedes, I cannot believe the line you have been fed. The onus is on Dodge, to get this fixed. How could your dealer make such a statement, that all 06 Chargers 05/2005 or older have the same problem... If that were the case a major recall would have been issued. You can get your car serviced at other Dodge dealers, if there is another close to you, I'd get a second opinion. You are being toyed with here. Also note all the forums, if this were a big issue with the Charger, then it would be splashed all over.

This is a dynamite car, I would say you just got a lemon tranny... It happens, I would not be upset with Dodge, but I'd sure as heck be massively upset with your dealer... What a crock!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Dodge. I got OH WELL.. Talk to your dealer. I talked to the dealer I get OH WELL talk to Dodge. Your right a bad tranny could happen. I have 900 miles on the car and the dealer and Dodge are both telling OH WELL. I miss my Mustang GT. Shouldn't have flipped it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another note... What time frame is the dealer giving you on the fix? If they change the fluids and the filter, they are going to get the same response when they test dfrive it. This is a great car, I feel for you... I would make the dealer give you a new car. I have heard stories of owners having issues at purchase, they have gotten there finance company involved and the problem was taken care of immediately. Let us know the outcome...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your dealer sucks for starters...sounds like your service writer sucks too. I work for a Mercedes dealer and I have NEVER heard of such a thing and only see a trans failure once in a blue moon. Your Charger, regardless of what the dealer may tell you, has a mercedes trans (and a damn good one at that).

I'm curious about your problem...limp mode shoud not cause the car to need towing...should have third gear and reverse only.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
amcguru said:
Your dealer sucks for starters...sounds like your service writer sucks too. I work for a Mercedes dealer and I have NEVER heard of such a thing and only see a trans failure once in a blue moon. Your Charger, regardless of what the dealer may tell you, has a mercedes trans (and a damn good one at that).

I'm curious about your problem...limp mode shoud not cause the car to need towing...should have third gear and reverse only.
I know it has a Mercedes tranny it. I don't doubt it's a good one. The car did move, but when you pull out into ongoming traffic and the car desides not to move, you panic a little. This is my first automatic trans and I assumed it was slipping and didn't want to cause further damage. I would have liked to check and see if there was any trans fluid in the tranny, but theres no dip stick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chargin06 said:
Another note... What time frame is the dealer giving you on the fix? If they change the fluids and the filter, they are going to get the same response when they test dfrive it. This is a great car, I feel for you... I would make the dealer give you a new car. I have heard stories of owners having issues at purchase, they have gotten there finance company involved and the problem was taken care of immediately. Let us know the outcome...
They told me that they had road tested it already and it was fine. Come pick it up. I'm not picking it up until I get at a minimum, a new tranny. One manafactured after 5/5 of course. I asked for a new car from Dodge and my dealer, Dodge laughed and told me to pound sand, and my dealer nearly through me out on Saturday.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would try another dealer or speak with the service manager about the vauge explanation you got about tlhe problem. The way I see it, when you are paying X00.00 a month for a car, the dealer shoud take the time to answer your questions and not blow you off. FYI: the car is safe to drive in limp mode, all you're feeling is normal torque converter slip due to being in 3rd gear at such low speeds. The not picking up the car until it gets a new tranny wont work...we hear that every day. The only thing that accomplishes is having the dealer and mabey Dodge **** an attitude.
If they say it's fixed, have there road test person put 50 miles on it tommarow to verify the repair and if all is well, pick it up and drive it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
firstdodge said:
They told me that they had road tested it already and it was fine. Come pick it up. I'm not picking it up until I get at a minimum, a new tranny. One manafactured after 5/5 of course. I asked for a new car from Dodge and my dealer, Dodge laughed and told me to pound sand, and my dealer nearly through me out on Saturday.
I work at a Dodge dealership and have only seen 1 trans problem on an lx vehicle... the "fill tube" ( yes I know they are sealed, but thats what they call it) on very few transmissions could be inserted incorrectly and could allow some moisture( water) to get into the transmission, cuasing a fault code and putting the vehicle into limp mode. Was it raining around the time of your issue? the fix is to change the trans fluid and filter and seal the tube. I wouldn't want another transmission put into my vehicle, unless it was a last resort...nothing ever fit right after a repair like that...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
amcguru said:
I would try another dealer or speak with the service manager about the vauge explanation you got about tlhe problem. The way I see it, when you are paying X00.00 a month for a car, the dealer shoud take the time to answer your questions and not blow you off. FYI: the car is safe to drive in limp mode, all you're feeling is normal torque converter slip due to being in 3rd gear at such low speeds. The not picking up the car until it gets a new tranny wont work...we hear that every day. The only thing that accomplishes is having the dealer and mabey Dodge also **** a an attitude.
If they say it's fixed, have there road test person put 50 miles on it tommarow to verify the repair and if all is well, pick it up and drive it.
I understand the limp mode now, put I had no idea what was going on at the time it happened. I'm going to give this dealer one my chance to do the right thing. I feel I should get a new car or my money back, but that's not going to happen because no one is accountable. Unfortunately I paid cash for the car so I can't get a bank invloved. Maybe I should get the local news invovled, they love these types of stories. Seven on your side. Tappy Phillips.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is very disturbing news indeed. I feel for you. Nothing sucks more than having your brand new car die on you. I only hope that this is an isolated incident and is not a sign of things to come with the new Charger.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I don't supppose you got the code, did you? That would help to figure it out.Becuae while indeed fluid itself will never "send a code", it's quite possible that the computer in the car "decided" that the fluid needs changed based on different inputs from sensors.

For instance, while the thermostat itself cannot send a code, being just a hunk of metal and a spring, the computer can infer it's bad by comparing coolant temp vs time since start. If coolant temp does not rise fast enough, you get a code.

So if the trans fluid, when as it should be, makes certain actions happen in a timed sequence, or in ust a certain sequence, and those things don't happen, it "knows" through process of elimination, that the fluid is the most likely culprit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really do love the car. It could handle a little better though. But Im use to driving a Camaros SS and Mustang GT. The ironic thing is the spoiler I ordered came in today and I don't have a car to put it on. I wonder how it would look on my sons Wrangler?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
There is a t.s.b. on the trans fill tube problem, the trans could shudder with as little as .5% contamination of fluid... a concentration heavier than this could cause the trans to go into limp mode...But, the fix is the same, change the fluid and filter and seal the tube it is as simple as that. No new car is necessary at this time...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I didn't get the code. I don't doubt the code told the tech to change the fluid. But I doubt that every transmission built prior 5/05 needs to be serviced. So what went wrong with the tranny?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
FirstDodge, this EXACT thing happened on my 05 300C at 500 miles. My dealer, a diamond in the ruff, replaced the torque converter after changing the fluid and filter with no results. There's a TSB on this, but they wanted it fixed the first time so they replaced the converter, new fluid (naturally) filter and problem solved. It's a damn shame your dealer has a bunch of asswipes working there. You don't need, or want a new tranny unless absolutely necessary. hang in there dude! Mike :happy:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts