Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a lot of them around here. Wondering how fast they are? Also the older Fire Hawks from around 2002. Stock.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
13.4 @ 107.6 here, 1998 WS6 with a poor driver and being the slowest of the LS1s. By end of model run (2002) they were knocking on the 12s if not already in them... there were a few cars capable of high 12s straight out of the showroom from what we saw at various tracks across the continent.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Stock TransAM only puts out 305 to 340 depending on model......

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
an 02 LS1 is a drivers race for our srt8's. Not to mention there is a HUGE aftermarket for them and they are VERY tunable. The 02 WS6 is one bad MF!!!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After some searching, I found this.

In 2001 and 2002, models equipped with a V8 received the higher-flow LS6 intake manifold and a higher-performance clutch. Firebird enthusiasts believe these engines were underrated by the factory, and that these cars often produce up to 40 horsepower (30 kW) more than rated. The rare Firehawk model, made by SLP and sold through Pontiac dealerships, had 330 hp (335 after 2000, 355 in late 2002 models). Even the last of the V6-equipped Firebirds were rated at an impressive 205 hp, which was more than some of the earlier-generation V8's could muster (in fact, the final V6 Firebirds are as quick as almost any V8-equipped Firebird produced before 1990). Average quarter-mile elapsed times for the Fourth Generation Firebirds were reported as 15.2 seconds at 90 mph for V6-equipped vehicles, and 13.2 seconds at 110 mph for those with the V8; in the hands of an experienced driver, the latter cars have even been known to "crack" the 12-second quarter mile mark. Top speeds for both the V6 and V8 versions were generally governed according to their factory tire ratings, which were typically 118 mph for the V6 models. However, with the governor programmed out and applying V8 speed rated tires, V6 Firebirds will reach in excess of 130 mph (4th gear limited) with the Y-87 performance package and a 5-speed transmission, whereas V8 models that had Z-rated tires had a speed limiter set to 167 mph.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Last time I went to Gimli Dragways there was a 01 LS1 ws6 trans am there that couldn't pull faster then 13.8's.At that time I had taken my 95 LT1 Z28
with me.Then again I could only manage 14.0's.
There was also a new Hyundai Tiburon who broke his front axle.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I wonder how many 4th gen f-bodies are still stock. Honestly, I don't know.

HUGE aftermarket, though, means that any given Camaro or Firebird could be a 13 sec. car or a 10 sec. car. Not too expensive to stall and juice one.

Mine is a front-mount turbo; there are many options for FI on the LS engines.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I wonder how many 4th gen f-bodies are still stock.
<meekly raises my hand>

:grin:

Stock and still loving it.

(Sorry... scratch that... do Koni double-adjustable shocks still count as stock? ;) If not, then consider my car modified as of last week! :lol:)

310 rwhp put down sometime in late 2000 or early 2001, and even with a conservative 12% estimated loss, well it ain't the rated 320hp that's for sure.

·
Registered
223 Posts
GM High Tech Performance magazine had a special section July's issue covering 10 second, naturally aspirated cars. About half were '97-'02 Firebirds:

Most just had the LS1 motors with fully streetable cams, heads, exhausts, torque converters, drag radials and tuning. No other power adders. GTO's are heavier so we typically go for steeper gears which I haven't done yet.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just imagine how much ass these SRT8's are going to kick when we get all the aftermarket stuff!!!!!!!!!! It is going to be crazy!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
THE ONLY THING WE NEED IS A WAY TO TAME THAT BASTARD HAL so we can do gear set ups and then you'll see really low et's out of the chargers

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
in the august issue of I believe it was hot rod, they did a whole article about the new hemi's and said that there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much power just waiting to wake up as soon as we can find a way to well, kill HAL lol. I can't WAIT!

·
Registered
377 Posts
...killing HAL would definitely be a great start to a massive amount of raw power.

·
Registered
48 Posts
13.4 @ 107.6 here, 1998 WS6 with a poor driver and being the slowest of the LS1s. By end of model run (2002) they were knocking on the 12s if not already in them... there were a few cars capable of high 12s straight out of the showroom from what we saw at various tracks across the continent.
Mine was a showroom 12.7 second car. Still have it w/ 186K, bent a push rod and rocker so its sitting until i get around to fixing it.

dyno'd over 355 rwd w/ a k&n and flowmasters....true story very few believe me, but i kept it but the car was awesome.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Being an f-body owner for 12 years,I think the vehicles that were pulling 12's off the showroom floor were an exception rather then the norm.
Just like the SRT8's that dyno between 355 rwhp and 390 rwhp,there is a variation inherent from car to car and motor to motor.
I used to subscribe to GM High Tech Perf. mag,and yes there were some LS1 Z28/Firebirds that were running 12.9's,12.7's out of the box,even back in 1998,but there are also some SRT8's out of the box running 12.8's as well.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Mine was a showroom 12.7 second car. Still have it w/ 186K, bent a push rod and rocker so its sitting until i get around to fixing it.

dyno'd over 355 rwd w/ a k&n and flowmasters....true story very few believe me, but i kept it but the car was awesome.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE lowered black f-bodies with TT2's!!!!! Your's looks awesome in your sig pic

edit:just realized it wasn't your sig pic lol

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
in the august issue of I believe it was hot rod, they did a whole article about the new hemi's and said that there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much power just waiting to wake up as soon as we can find a way to well, kill HAL lol. I can't WAIT!
Also, the September issue of Car Craft talks about all 3 generations of the Hemi. They compare each to the other. Also make it VERY CLEAR that YES, the new Hemi is in fact a TRUE HEMI. If it's not, they will eat their hat.

They also stated all the aftermarket research/planning going on for the current 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi. It is going to be wicked wild!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just imagine how much ass these SRT8's are going to kick when we get all the aftermarket stuff!!!!!!!!!! It is going to be crazy!
I think the HEMI has got the same potential as the LS motors. There will be CAM/Head N/A monsters as well as big hp FI cars. Is the Hemi goning to lay waste to everything and dominate the street? IMO I don't think the new HEMI has any inherent advantage over Fords blown V8's or GM's LSx motors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.