Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to lag getting back to drive after backing out of the driveway. Nothing major, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and whether or not anything needs to be done abut it. I an not one to drag my car back to the dealer for every little thing, as from experience alot of times you get the car back and it can be worse than before.....:cry:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I also have this same thing going on and I only have 2700 miles on my ride . Some times it takes like 10 seconds to go from D to R . Other times it has no lag. Sometimes its pretty scary as you need to back up rather quick with another car driving up behind you and you have to wait for it to engage . I read on another post( Not sure what forum) that its a torque convertor problem . The guy took there car in and they replaced it and it never did it again

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
It only happens to me when I don't wait for the car to stop before I put it in Drive.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I always make sure I stop before shifting into R . Sometimes I get lag sometimes I dont .

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the same problem. What I usually do is throw it into neutral and let it roll for a second before I stop and throw it in gear. I make sure not to just throw it into gear while still rolling, a complete stop is crucial.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am completely stopped when I am shifting into drive, theres just a 3-5 sec lag sometimes. Like its low on trans fluid. I cant beleive I cant check my own damn trans fluid. Guess Ill have to be inconvenienced and drop the car off at the dealer. :mad:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Its common and it sucks. One of my biggest complaints about this car. You back out of a parking spot....then have to sit there for several seconds waiting for drive to engage. Someone had their head up their a** when they programmed it to lag that much.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I am completely stopped when I am shifting into drive, theres just a 3-5 sec lag sometimes. Like its low on trans fluid. I cant beleive I cant check my own damn trans fluid. Guess Ill have to be inconvenienced and drop the car off at the dealer. :mad:
It has nothing to do with low trans fluid. This phenomenon has occurred since day one. You must come to a complete stop in reverse, then shift into drive.
Otherwise you get a good clunk when drive engages. I know it is real annoying to waste an extra 3 seconds of everyone's busy day to wait for the transmission to switch directions. Life's a *****, isn't it?:cry:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Read my quote a little closer. A complete stop is a complete stop. Take any vehicle and drain a couple of qts of trans fluid and see how it shifts . It will lag going into and out of gear, so don't tell me it couldnt be low on fluid. Given the potential for serious damage,to assume that this is not possible would be foolish. I am pretty sure the first thing any shop would do is check the @!%& fluid. All I'm saying is it would be nice to be able to check it myself

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
It's been known to happen with these cars. It's attributed to the programming of the TCM. It's a built in feature to save the tranny from D to R changes while the car is moving. Remember these are Mercedes transmissions.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
does shift 2-3 little rough too?
Not necessarily. However, there is a diagnostic 2-3 shift that occurs the first time the car goes over 20mph after start-up. At WOT, it feels like crap and kills your trap speed by an estimated 2-3mph at the dragstrip.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Have never experienced this issue. Back-up form the garage, throw into "D", and away she goes. No lag at all. Even a slight rolling in reverse, goes into "D" perfectly. Warm or cold.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
as stated above.

one of the SRT engineers confirmed its a tranny protection program.

makes sure the internal clutchs are aligned before shifting from R to D.

nothing you can do about it. get used to it

·
Registered
708 Posts
Never noticed this til I read this thread. My car does the same thing - I don't find it to be any big deal though.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Never noticed this til I read this thread. My car does the same thing - I don't find it to be any big deal though.
I prefer a speedshift into D rather than a lag for various reasons - revving the motor at a stoplight before the light turns green, making a fast 3pt turn (because the darn car is so big it couldn't make a u-turn), etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Happened since day one for me. The only time it "lags" is when I go from R to D like a bat outta hell. It just calms your nerves a little bit, and saves you from having to get transmission work early in the game

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I prefer a speedshift into D rather than a lag for various reasons - revving the motor at a stoplight before the light turns green, making a fast 3pt turn (because the darn car is so big it couldn't make a u-turn), etc. etc.

Powersliding will take care of that u-turn:headbang:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts