Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next weekend there is a really high chance im traing in my SE for a SRT-4
Test drove it for the first time today and it blew me away when the turbo spooled up. Wish i could get an srt8 but i cant afford it, plus i love the manual tranny and mod potential that these cars just dont have right now

anyone have any experience with these cars? i know its faster than an R/T. the one i drove had a BOV and some other bolt ons that the dealer couldnt specifiy.

so basically anything i should be aware of before i trade in the SE? is the SRT4 as good as it seems?

if it is, then thanks for the help and ill miss trolling the forums!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Next weekend there is a really high chance im traing in my SE for a SRT-4
Test drove it for the first time today and it blew me away when the turbo spooled up. Wish i could get an srt8 but i cant afford it, plus i love the manual tranny and mod potential that these cars just dont have right now

anyone have any experience with these cars? i know its faster than an R/T. the one i drove had a BOV and some other bolt ons that the dealer couldnt specifiy.

so basically anything i should be aware of before i trade in the SE? is the SRT4 as good as it seems?

if it is, then thanks for the help and ill miss trolling the forums!

My buddy at work has an SRT4 all suped up and it's a fast car!

It's horrible when it comes to a comfortable ride [suspension] and the wheels shudder a lot when he really punches it but that may be more with how they mod'd the car than anything.

I think he payed around 19K for it used.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Big Mistakeeeeeeeeeee

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
A stock SRT4 will be competitive with an RT.....with the RT having the advantage........but the there are some badazz mods out there for the SRT4...doesnt take much $$$ to make one run low 13s...into the 12s....I have seen em at the Bristol Dragway cut 10s....but they were on the laughing gas..

negatives...just a Neon that has been modified....front wheel drive...bad ride, comfort and size............but if you like...buy it.....just make sure it's not the candy coating you like....that will wear off....:smoke:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah thats the one thing im worried about is ill get sick of it
but like i said, i hate driving a car that is automatic, and even if i could live with it i cant afford an R/T.

any other srt4 experiences? im like 70/30 leaning towards the srt

·
Registered
379 Posts
i just got out of my SRT and into a RT...from experience the ride quality and comfort is by FAR better in the charger but if u just want all out speed and modification capability ied say go for the SRT...i had mine close 600 fwhp on race gas but that was after $10k+ dropped into it lol its all on personal opinion...i personally dont miss my neon attracted me way to much un-wanted attention(that might of been cuz of the straight pipe tho:tongue:)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I own both an SRT8 and an SRT4 and I love my SRT4 more than the SRT8. Just way more mod potential. It does draw attention by the Police due to its Stock Loud exhaust, but their are aftermarket exhaust kits that can quiet it down or make the SRT4 louder. Install a Stage 3 and you'll be faster than a RT. Too many routes you can take the SRT4 to list. Some mod for the Drag strip and others for the twisties. I say go for it, and I doubt you'll get tired of the SRT4, and if you do you can probably find a used SRT8 for under $30k.

Just make sure you buy the 04-05 model SRT4 because they come with a Quife LSD and ~15hp more than the 03 models. Best year I hear is the 04 because the PCM isn't so sensitive to mods (CEL's).

·
Registered
253 Posts
SRT-4's hate racing off the line. Wheel hop is horrible. They seem to perform well at 40mph rolls though. Theres a guy around here who has one with a 100 shot. He's only fast from a roll, he sux exhaust off the line.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!! :no: :no:
You're going to regret it eveybody an thier grandma drives a SRT-4 these days.:smoke:
Get yourself a HEMI!!!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
big mistake, the charger is the charger.... even if it has a 2.7 engine... (imo) the other one is a freakin neon..... Depends on what you are looking for:
Getting there with class or getting there fast....
Id go for class, but hey I have a Hemeeeeeee so I get there fast and in class! yeah!

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
neons and cavaliers are in the same boat. Keep that in mind.

At the end of the day, no matter how fast your srt4 is..

It's a dodge neon.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yep, I've got a friend with a black stage 2 SRT-4. It's pretty quick, but it is indeed just a neon. The interior is uncomfortable, not very fancy, small, and doesn't exactly feel safe. They're quick cars, but anything north of 60 MPH feels scary. It's a really fast tin can. Not the safest combo.

If your main concern is speed and modability, the SRT-4 may just be your cup o tea. If you want looks, attitude, winks from attractive women, comfort, luxury, the hemi legacy, and most importantly, if you don't want to be just another SRT-4 guy, you needn't look further than the charger. It's a longstanding joke that my friends and I take bets on how many SRT-4s will be at the drag strip every time we go. The record so far in a single night is 7. That's one of the main reasons I wouldn't get one. EVERYBODY has one.

·
Registered
379 Posts
this is very true thats another reason why i got out of the neon...yea i had alot of money in it and it was a monster on the street...but it was still a neon...and their are TONS of them everywhere and half the guys who drive them are ***holes...unlike the charger family that i have nicely been broughten into but like said before its all on personal opinion of what your looking for

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i would love to trade up to a hemi but i dont have a dime to my name really (in college)

straight trade for the srt-4..
idk im rethinking everything cause the charger is soooo much sexier

show or go is my question right now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.