Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 2014 rt max that is worth about 3K more than my 2016 base sxt, same miles as mine. Been thinking about trading in and just putting 3K down to take out the difference. I want a v8 but no more car debt, thoughts?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Found a 2014 rt max that is worth about 3K more than my 2016 base sxt, same miles as mine. Been thinking about trading in and just putting 3K down to take out the difference. I want a v8 but no more car debt, thoughts?
If you want more power, do it. I made a similar decision. I went from a fully loaded 2010 R/T to a 2013 SRT8 Super Bee. I compromised the luxury items for more power, whereas you'll be going from new looks to older, and 8 speed transmission to a 5 speed. If it was me, Id do it for more power every time.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Hi Calo:
How many miles on your current '16? That sounds like it could be a decent swap. Since the miles are the same, you would be gaining quite a few goodies as the Plus models are pretty well loaded. The only negative I can come up with so far, is that you are giving up the nicer/newer 8 sped trans to go back to the older tried and true 5 speed. If you can hold out a bit longer, and get a '15, you can have the 8 speed also. Also, check with your insurance, as it may take a bit of a jump going to the V8.

Just my .02

Don

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Calo:
How many miles on your current '16? That sounds like it could be a decent swap. Since the miles are the same, you would be gaining quite a few goodies as the Plus models are pretty well loaded. The only negative I can come up with so far, is that you are giving up the nicer/newer 8 sped trans to go back to the older tried and true 5 speed. If you can hold out a bit longer, and get a '15, you can have the 8 speed also. Also, check with your insurance, as it may take a bit of a jump going to the V8.

Just my .02

Don
mine has 76,000 while the rt has 81,000. the only thing i would be sacrificing is the nice 8 speed because the plus has all the features i want that my base doesn’t have. i would miss the 8 speed though, it’s just hard to find a cheaper 2015+ even base models are $20K+

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
The 5.7 in the R/T with the 5 speed will not make you miss a Pentastar with an 8 speed.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Is your 2015 paid off?

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
As long as you can determine that the '14 is in good shape, I'd do it. I love my '14 R/T.

Don

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm with Powerman on this one... keep the 2016 until such time you're in a better place to get a 2015+ V8 with lower miles.

I kept my 2006 R/T from 2011 (it only had 22k miles) until February 2020... it was paid off for 5+ years I got my 150k miles out of it then got a 2019 R/T (with 11k miles) and plan to keep that one 8-9 years too!

If your current car is reliable and you're taking good care of it that's more valuable. If you really want a V8 I get it... I'd tell you to stretch and get a $25k 2015-2016 with low miles and then just keep that for 8-9 years! It is hard to get ahead in life when you've always got a car payment (or two...) and that's even if you have tons of "extra" cash on hand!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'd be willing to bet my hard earned money the 14' has been beaten on and you're "upgrading" to someone's used mess.

V8 cars get beat on. It'll be tired and costly to fix.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I'd be willing to bet my hard earned money the 14' has been beaten on and you're "upgrading" to someone's used mess.

V8 cars get beat on. It'll be tired and costly to fix.
I don't buy that at all. Most kids can't afford V8s as first cars. And of the V8s, a Charger usually isn't the first pick. What different between buying a used V8 Mustang GT and a used F150 V8? They can both be heavily used and as long as proper maintenance was done still be very reliable cars. Id be more wary if it was a Focus ST or Civic Si than if it was a used Charger R/T. I bought by 5.7 used with 62k miles with no problems, and my 6.4 used with 58k miles and now at 137,000 miles. These Hemi's can take being driven hard.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't buy that at all. Most kids can't afford V8s as first cars. And of the V8s, a Charger usually isn't the first pick. What different between buying a used V8 Mustang GT and a used F150 V8? They can both be heavily used and as long as proper maintenance was done still be very reliable cars. Id be more wary if it was a Focus ST or Civic Si than if it was a used Charger R/T. I bought by 5.7 used with 62k miles with no problems, and my 6.4 used with 58k miles and now at 137,000 miles. These Hemi's can take being driven hard.
I wouldn't buy any of your examples used unless I personally knew the previous owner.

People are slime balls.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I wouldn't buy any of your examples used unless I personally knew the previous owner.

People are slime balls.
You're right, but sometimes unless you can afford to buy brand new, it's an educated risk you have to be willing to take. Brand new cars on occasion get beat on during test drives, or by the young kids washing cars. Ive seen it and heard about it. It happens. Unless you buy the vehicle with 1 mile on it you really don't know. Now obviously the newer lower mileage cars still have warranty. I've never bought a new car on my life, I usually look in the 2-3 year old range with sub-50k miles and I've never run into any issue.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
409 Posts
You're right, but sometimes unless you can afford to buy brand new, it's an educated risk you have to be willing to take. Brand new cars on occasion get beat on during test drives, or by the young kids washing cars. Ive seen it and heard about it. It happens. Unless you buy the vehicle with 1 mile on it you really don't know. Now obviously the newer lower mileage cars still have warranty. I've never bought a new car on my life, I usually look in the 2-3 year old range with sub-50k miles and I've never run into any issue.
I never had an issue with all my free or $250 cars until I bought my Charger for $18,000 and it was a total money pit lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts