Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove an SXT today and I loved it! :rockon: The Charger is such a sweet ride. I plan on putting my order in soon--just have to decide between the Inferno Red and the Magnesium...

Anyway, I do have a question: Is there a way to turn off the traction control on these cars? If so, how? I know you can on the new Mustangs and owners like having the ability to light 'em up once in a while.

·
Registered
538 Posts
On my R/T charger w/Hemi. There is a button on the dash next to the hazards that turns the traction control on and off.

Jason

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, every car I've seen with traction control has a switch to disable it. It actually came in handy on my Mustang in the snow to turn it off. It was good for keeping traction when you're moving, but when you're trying to get yourself up a hill and the traction control stops delivering power to the wheels, your life can start to suck quickly. Sometimes disabling traction control was the only way to spin your way up a hill.

·
Banned
591 Posts
I read in Hot Rod magazine that the new 05 Mustangs have no on/off switch for the T/C. You have to get a chip for it. (why you can shut it off in an Alero/Grand Am but not a Mustang is beyond me) And yes all LX cars have a button above the radio to shut it off. You cant even do a donut in the snow with it on (its a GOOD system) Shut it off and you have the explanation of hell on wheels.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Charger Enthusiasts!
My name is Kris B. and I’m a Marketing Representative with the Dodge Information Center. I was looking through some the posts within this discussion and noticed that you have a few questions. I was wondering if I could join this discussion to provide you with some answers.

Let me know and thanks,

Kris B.
Dodge Information Center
1-800-4ADodge/1-800-423-6343
[email protected]
www.Dodge.com

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Kris, any information you have to offer we will take... no need to ask in every thread.... :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I agree with Daytona_R/T. DodgeInfoCenter folks (Kris, Aliyah, John, whoever) just hop in say your piece and/or ask your questions. I don't think it is neccesary to ask permission to join each thread. You all are know here in the forum as a whole and are welcome to participate.

(Sorry if I am jumping on any admin's toes, just my opinion as a member here)

·
Registered
743 Posts
ninerjoe said:
I know you can on the new Mustangs and owners like having the ability to light 'em up once in a while.
I don't know about the SXT/V6, but in my R/T...

NOTICE: I assume no responsibility for anyone trying this

1. Press the ESP off button on dash.
2. with the car in Drive, hold the brake gently w/your left foot to keep it from moving.
3. Hit the Gas FULL (WOT)...
4. Start to let go of the brake if you don't want to burn completely through your tires!

It's almost as easy as a "light 'em up" switch on the car!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RadarmagneT said:
I don't know about the SXT/V6, but in my R/T...

NOTICE: I assume no responsibility for anyone trying this

1. Press the ESP off button on dash.
2. with the car in Drive, hold the brake gently w/your left foot to keep it from moving.
3. Hit the Gas FULL (WOT)...
4. Start to let go of the brake if you don't want to burn completely through your tires!

It's almost as easy as a "light 'em up" switch on the car!
Now you're talkin'!! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
You mean , turn the TC off
Slight brake
and Shift the speedstick into 1st
Then just punch it and shift thru the burn, its a little funner, and with the autostick you wont have to worry about missing a shift.

P.S. I like the owners manuel it says "You need not remove your foot from the gas while shifting". Thats means they tested this tear it up verison too :happy:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Daytona R/T and CO-Charger: Thanks for the extended welcome! :happy: We ask permission in each forum discussion to ensure that everyone knows who we are and that we are “welcome” to answer any questions or concerns your may have on the Dodge Charger.

Thanks Again,

Kris B.
Marketing Representative – Dodge information Center
[email protected]
www.Dodge.com

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ninerjo, in response to your earlier posting, the Dodge Charger does have a switch in the center of the instrument panel above the stereo labeled “TCS off”. To turn the traction control system OFF, press the traction control switch until the traction control indicator lights up (you will see this through your instrument cluster – display)... The traction control system comes on each time the ignition switch is turned ON. Detailed instructions on its use can be found in the Dodge Charger owner’s manual for future reference.
I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Kris B.
Marketing Representative – Dodge information Center
[email protected]
www.Dodge.com

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just read an article from MPH. They put up the charger against the gto and mustang gt. I have some bad news the esp can't be turned off. Even if you turn it off it is still on. In the article the charger only did a burn out for about 10 feet(with esp off) then it kicked in. The GTO went about 50 feet before it caught, and the mustang went about 30 feet. There has to be a way to disable it temporarily.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Charger_R/T said:
I just read an article from MPH. They put up the charger against the gto and mustang gt. I have some bad news the esp can't be turned off. Even if you turn it off it is still on. In the article the charger only did a burn out for about 10 feet(with esp off) then it kicked in. The GTO went about 50 feet before it caught, and the mustang went about 30 feet. There has to be a way to disable it temporarily.
yep.. i just tried this today on an empty road. did the ole ******* power braking thing. i couldn't get 10 feet. that's just no fun at all.. *sniff* *sniff*

dale

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Charger Fans!

Charger R/T, dale: There is an “OFF” switch for the Electronic Stability Program on the Dodge Charger (in the instrument panel by the hazard lights) that is meant to improve the vehicle’s traction when driving with snow chains, or starting off in deep snow, sand or gravel. When the ESP system is switched off, the engine torque reduction feature is cancelled. Which means the enhanced vehicle stability offered by ESP is unavailable. Keep in mind that the ESP at all times, operates under braking, even with the switch in the OFF position. If one drive wheel loses traction while the ESP system is disabled/off, the brake is applied by the ESP system to control any wheel slippage. This wheel slip control is active at vehicle speeds between approximately 24 mph and 50 mph. More detailed information on this system is in the owner’s manual, but there is no option to completely disable it on the Dodge Charger.

The ESP may not help you lay rubber, but it will help keep you on the road once you get moving.

I’ll be around if any questions or concerns come up!

Thanks!

Kris B.
Marketing Representative -- Dodge Information Center
[email protected]
www.Dodge.com

·
Registered
764 Posts
Here's an update to turning off traction control.
I also posted this at another forum:

My Daytona was born 9/14/05 software v 4.06 from 7/05/05. I can disable traction control by doing the following:
Fasten seat belt, start engine and before the dummy lights go off, I press and hold the ESP for 6 seconds, then hear the friendly chime. ESP slippery light stays on, no special EVIC display. Put her in gear, floor it and your smokin.
I can put ESP back on by just pushing the button again, but am unable to put it back into the chimed off, I have to restart engine.
I tried to do donuts in the snow last week with ESP (not fun-great traction) and with it "off" (slightly more fun - her a$$ comes around a little, then grabs). Today - with chime off - wow, now that's what I'm talking about!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just got back in from testing this and wow!!! :eek: So much from my tires now, what a big difference feels like a whole new car.

Good find krcossin! How did you figure this out?

·
Registered
266 Posts
So this a third setting for traction control??

·
Registered
204 Posts
I also noticed that my shifts were much firmer with no hesitation, big improvement.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts