Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have seen allot of people asking about what the Diablo tuner does compared to stock on the same night. I went to the track tonight and made 6 runs. 3 with the car back to stock, 1 with the Diablo tune but not the raised shift points (yeah I forgot....), 1 with the shift points raised and then the last run was about 45 min later and it had cooled off a bit. The first 5 runs are probably the best to use as they were all with 1 and 1/2 hours total time. I left the car in drive, turned ESP off to the middle setting and launched around 1200 rpm. I left the car in drive to take me shifting different out of the picture. Here are the results:

Run 1
60 ft 2.033
1/4 13.257
mph 106.69

Run 2
60 ft 2.064
1/4 13.261
mph 107.00

Run 3
60 ft 2.1
1/4 13.241
mph 107.27

Run 4 (93 with cai tune, shift points not changed)
60 ft 2.038
1/4 13.111
mph 107.90

Run 5 (93 with cai tune, raised shift points selected)
60 ft 2.063
1/4 13.016
mph 108.82

Run 6 (same as above but 45 min later and it had cooled down)
60 ft 2.049
1/4 12.939
mph 109.3

Comparison
best stock run 13.241 at 107.27
Diablo run with shift changes 13.016 at 108.82
difference .225 ET and 1.55 mph there was about 45 min between these two runs.

I am very happy with my 12.93 and I think one more run would have put me in the 12.8's. I hope thats all the info you guys were looking for, let me know if you want me to add anything else. The track was Gateway International Raceway in Madison Illinois.

Only mods on the car are the Diablo tuner, Airaid intake, 180 thermostat, and intake spacers.

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Ok I have seen allot of people asking about what the Diablo tuner does compared to stock on the same night. I went to the track tonight and made 6 runs. 3 with the car back to stock, 1 with the Diablo tune but not the raised shift points (yeah I forgot....), 1 with the shift points raised and then the last run was about 45 min later and it had cooled off a bit. The first 5 runs are probably the best to use as they were all with 1 and 1/2 hours total time. I left the car in drive, turned ESP off to the middle setting and launched around 1200 rpm. I left the car in drive to take me shifting different out of the picture. Here are the results:

Run 1
60 ft 2.033
1/4 13.257
mph 106.69

Run 2
60 ft 2.064
1/4 13.261
mph 107.00

Run 3
60 ft 2.1
1/4 13.241
mph 107.27

Run 4 (93 with cai tune, shift points not changed)
60 ft 2.038
1/4 13.111
mph 107.90

Run 5 (93 with cai tune, raised shift points selected)
60 ft 2.063
1/4 13.016
mph 108.82

Run 6 (same as above but 45 min later and it had cooled down)
60 ft 2.049
1/4 12.939
mph 109.3

Comparison
best stock run 13.241 at 107.27
Diablo run with shift changes 13.016 at 108.82
difference .225 ET and 1.55 mph there was about 45 min between these two runs.

I am very happy with my 12.93 and I think one more run would have put me in the 12.8's. I hope thats all the info you guys were looking for, let me know if you want me to add anything else. The track was Gateway International Raceway in Madison Illinois.

Only mods on the car are the Diablo tuner, Airaid intake, 180 thermostat, and intake spacers.

Alan
Thats good news!!! I'm working on a tweek tune against my Perf CAI and hope to hit the mid 12's soon, thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the DA because I don't know how to find it! lol I only raised the shift points to the canned settings in the tuner. I went with half off on the ESP because I was trying to get consistent 60 ft times to make the test as true as possible.

All the runs were made on the stock RSA's that are starting to show signs of being on a 400 hp car.... :)

Alan

·
Registered
446 Posts
DA was in the neighborhood of 1200 feet - using a St. Loius weather observation from about 8pm(70 degrees, altimeter 30.03 and RH 38%) and a surface elevation of 400 feet.

Great times!

Eric

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
nice report Ober. Pretty close to what I saw as improvement on my R/T as well. Imagine a bit more time tweaking on the tune.... :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Great data, thanks for posting. I'd say that looks like a reasonable, worthwhile gain.

Here's a general question: are we all assuming that the car will utilize normal knock retard if the altered tune pushes the AFR too lean? Or is there a chance that this tuner might allow some detonation without proper safeguarding?

·
Registered
277 Posts
most excellant info

·
Registered
523 Posts
Great data, thanks for posting. I'd say that looks like a reasonable, worthwhile gain.

Here's a general question: are we all assuming that the car will utilize normal knock retard if the altered tune pushes the AFR too lean? Or is there a chance that this tuner might allow some detonation without proper safeguarding?
I was wondering this as well. My GSX is tuned on a standalone system called DSMLink. This actually required replacing the ECU and having it chipped to accept any changes I make through the laptop. I have full control over timing, fuel, airflow and it is quite a bit more complex than the predator. My main concern is simply outside temp. I have 3 different tunes setup for different times of the year because cooler air does create a leaner mixture. If I try and run my summer tune in the winter it creates knock which in turn causes detonation and retards timing. If I try and run my winter tune in the summer my A/F Ratio is too rich causing power loss. I understand the predator has tunes that are automatically downloaded for octane levels but do we have the option to datalog a run, see what timing levels and a/f are at, and adjust your a/f and timing to maximize power. What I have learned is all cars are different even if it is the same make/model and you have to tune "your" car to get a perfect tune. Basic global settings will release more power out of the HEMI but maximizing those settings will be key.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Logging KR is the rough method (will the Predator do this?), but there's no replacement for having a true wideband installed in the car and recording AFR under WOT on the road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From what I read you can datalog the entire runs with the PC link for the tunner. (At WOT I recomend a PC strap...lol)

Gonna be fun when some of the "Data Miners" custom tune and start sharing the custom tunes all of the US in different temps and elevations.

Still waiting for mine and I am VERY GLAD that all the info to date shows positive signs...

·
Registered
350 Posts
BEST DIABLO POST YET !!!

Thanks Ober for the great data. Your car is like mine (mopar CAI, 180 thermo, and soon to be Diablo tune).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts