Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I had posted in other threads before but I give up on searching and I am looking for some answers....

This is what happens... I get a "Check TPMS" error everyday. The error is that we get a "---" on the left front tire pressure.

It makes no difference how or where I drive. I'll get it driving in town, on the highway, in traffic, wherever it feels like it. It makes no difference if it is in the winter or summer, cool or hot. It makes no difference on the pressure I start with (cold tire pressure). I've tried 32 psi, 36 psi, 40 psi... I've even tried to go up to 45 lbs and drive a bit to "reset" the system....

The only common thing in the mix is that the the error is always in the left front. I've already tried to swap out the wheels (I swapped the front wheels when I changed the tires once) to see if it was the sensor in the tire. It was not.

When I take it to the dealer... they first tell me that they can't "diagnose" the issue if they don't see the error.... then i get it and drove in with the error... (BTW it clears after about 15 minutes)... They noted the "codes" and they supposedly were going to get an answer. I never got it... I've been dealing with this for about 8 to 10 months. I just ignore it. The car is under and extended warranty so I can get it done.... however, I don't think the dealer has a clue......

Anybody have something for me I can give to the dummies?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Its either the wheel sensor or the pickup in the wheel well. You have already eliminated the wheel since swapping locations still had the error at the LF location. The next thing would be to swap the pickups to different locations to see if the error follows the pickup. Of course, that is what the dealer should do instead of you tearing into a warranty car. Keep on the dealer, they may be playing dumb to wear you down.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, has to be the LF body sensor. Should be easy to swap out that one with one of the others, see if the problem follows it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Its either the wheel sensor or the pickup in the wheel well. You have already eliminated the wheel since swapping locations still had the error at the LF location. The next thing would be to swap the pickups to different locations to see if the error follows the pickup. Of course, that is what the dealer should do instead of you tearing into a warranty car. Keep on the dealer, they may be playing dumb to wear you down.
Yep, has to be the LF body sensor. Should be easy to swap out that one with one of the others, see if the problem follows it.

OK... Did not know we had individual "pickups" for the wheels. I thought the sensors all transmitted to one unit directly. I did not know the sensors could be swapped out. I figured it would be more difficult.

Do you all know where the sensor is? If it's something I can swap to troubleshoot, I can call the dealer and idiot and have them get me the new one.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
It's funny. There are actually only three body sensors. Car receives three localized readings, and assumes the other one is from the non sensor location. Think it's the left rear that doesnt have one, not %100 on that. I know they are in the fender area, but thats all.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK.... I've dug around the web, parts diagrams, etc... I can't find the location. It's not visible to the naked eye... so .... other than pulling the entire fender well cover.... I don't know what to do...

Does anybody know?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Give me a little while, I might have some stuff on my network drive

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am just replacing mine on a 06 and they are fastened to the front fascia Lip where the liner attaches and is held with one small bolt on a metal bracket just below the headlight. If you remove the forward portion of the wheel well liner you will see it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just snapped a quick pic of the transponder location on the drivers side but can't seem to resize it from 974 kb if you pm an email I can send it and you can post it so others can be helped. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out the location as I bought the transponder and it bolts on but could not see where until I looked at the fascia,( even the dealer was no help) which was just returned from the body shop and then it was obvious.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
If you want, send it to [email protected], I'll post it up for you. I looked it up in the SM, but I cant post those images, Chrysler corporate gets uptight about us sharing copyrighted material here.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Here it is......sorry it took so long,

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
When you get ready to replace the fender liner, I can get you the part #'s for different fasteners to replace those plastic, one-use pop rivets. They cost a lot less too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK... I had posted in other threads before but I give up on searching and I am looking for some answers....

This is what happens... I get a "Check TPMS" error everyday. The error is that we get a "---" on the left front tire pressure.

It makes no difference how or where I drive. I'll get it driving in town, on the highway, in traffic, wherever it feels like it. It makes no difference if it is in the winter or summer, cool or hot. It makes no difference on the pressure I start with (cold tire pressure). I've tried 32 psi, 36 psi, 40 psi... I've even tried to go up to 45 lbs and drive a bit to "reset" the system....

The only common thing in the mix is that the the error is always in the left front. I've already tried to swap out the wheels (I swapped the front wheels when I changed the tires once) to see if it was the sensor in the tire. It was not.

When I take it to the dealer... they first tell me that they can't "diagnose" the issue if they don't see the error.... then i get it and drove in with the error... (BTW it clears after about 15 minutes)... They noted the "codes" and they supposedly were going to get an answer. I never got it... I've been dealing with this for about 8 to 10 months. I just ignore it. The car is under and extended warranty so I can get it done.... however, I don't think the dealer has a clue......

Anybody have something for me I can give to the dummies?
Hi Louise,

I have a dodge caliber 2.0 sport and I am suffering with the same TPMS syndrome I swapped the tyres it is still the front left tyre that shows 2.5 bar or 2.6 bar error also when I start the car there are fault lights which soon go off. Because of such similar problems I was writing to request how did you solve the problem mate?

cheers

Raj

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Louise,

I have a dodge caliber 2.0 sport and I am suffering with the same TPMS syndrome I swapped the tyres it is still the front left tyre that shows 2.5 bar or 2.6 bar error also when I start the car there are fault lights which soon go off. Because of such similar problems I was writing to request how did you solve the problem mate?

cheers

Raj
Raj... No, unfortunately I have not. However, now that I notice they posted the photo of the location of the pickup sensor, I'll just swap it myself. In the end, it's the only thing the dealer will do.

That's in such an easy spot to get to that it's going to take all of 5 minutes. I've just been going nuts with two other cars that I've had little time to dedicate to the Charger as of late.

BTW.... it's "Luis".... not "Louise" :beerchug:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just a heads up, in that pic above is a brand new transponder (diff. from left to right) and I noticed a " check tpms" at startup that went away after 6 minutes. Two tire shops told me one of my valve stem sensors was very slow in transmitting data to their hand held tester and recommended changing the sensor in the valve stem, so I did, no change. I decided to not guess with my money anymore so I left it and months later was driving by the dodge dealer in grand forks, ND when I decided to see what they say. 2-1/2 hrs later they said my left front connector to the transponder is corroded and one of the wires has a poor connection. The solution was to order a new pigtail and solder it in.

I ordered the pigtail and soldered it in myself and the tpms system is now perfect.

So you may want to just doubkecheck that connection and make sure each of those wires is nice and tight in the pigtail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a heads up, in that pic above is a brand new transponder (diff. from left to right) and I noticed a " check tpms" at startup that went away after 6 minutes. Two tire shops told me one of my valve stem sensors was very slow in transmitting data to their hand held tester and recommended changing the sensor in the valve stem, so I did, no change. I decided to not guess with my money anymore so I left it and months later was driving by the dodge dealer in grand forks, ND when I decided to see what they say. 2-1/2 hrs later they said my left front connector to the transponder is corroded and one of the wires has a poor connection. The solution was to order a new pigtail and solder it in.

I ordered the pigtail and soldered it in myself and the tpms system is now perfect.

So you may want to just doubkecheck that connection and make sure each of those wires is nice and tight in the pigtail.

Bringing this thread back I see it’s years old but I’m having the same issue. What connector was that you had to order mine reads at random times and loses connection randomly it’s not the TPMS in the wheel since those are all new

·
Registered
23 Posts
My apologies for the late reply, hopefully you were able to resolve your issue, in the interest of keeping future people informed: the connector was the one from harness to right front transponder and the pigtail part #: 68032364AA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts