Charger Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update: took the car to a tire shop. Sensors were never programmed correctly. So now they have to remount and balance the tires and program the sensors. Big bummer. Probably the last time I’ll order from American Muscle! They also didn’t balance one of the tires correctly from the beginning (the sticky weights fell right off).

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
From what I gathered they can be calibrated with a scanning tool while still on but not programmed. To be honest though I don’t really know how it all works, just going off of what they told me.
Whoever sold you TPMS sensors that need to be calibrated/ programmed should he slapped...twice.

I've had at LEAST 9 different sets of wheels, new sensors in each set and I've NEVER had to recalibrate or program sensors.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I've been hearing this for years and I second Punisher. I've never had to have any of them programmed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Whoever sold you TPMS sensors that need to be calibrated/ programmed should he slapped...twice.

I've had at LEAST 9 different sets of wheels, new sensors in each set and I've NEVER had to recalibrate or program sensors.
Oh geez haha! Yeah I’m upset about it. So is the tire place incorrect? They went out to scan my tires and it showed that the sensors were there but they couldn’t do anything with them.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If they are the "Schreider" brand (excuse the spelling) they are "Smart sensors" They arrive blank and are installed in the rim then the tire is installed. This is the most common ones used now as the are pretty universal. Most tire shops use them as they don't have to stock brand specific ones.
Once installed on the car, the shop then activates the sensor with a hand held remote.
It's a menu driven system, they just select year, make, model and the smart sensors select the correct frequency and initial psi and this shows right on the tools screen, so no way out of range sensors get out the door. It even verifys the car responded to the new sensor.
Yes there is a handshake with the car, not a psi update, just the car sees the sensor and is waiting for the first drive for a update of the psi.

Most likly, American muscle forgot to set them up at all.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Oh geez haha! Yeah I’m upset about it. So is the tire place incorrect? They went out to scan my tires and it showed that the sensors were there but they couldn’t do anything with them.
Honestly, I think they put the wrong sensors on the wheels. ANY 433mhz sensor will automatically be picked up by the car, unless the battery is dead. I buy all my sensors from the same ebay seller and only had 1 that didn't pick up.

I have never heard of a sensor that needs the frequency set by the handheld.

There are other cars that need the sensors triggered with the handheld especially Chevy trucks. I've never had to even trigger a sensor on our cars, just install and drive.

·
Registered
800 Posts
GM sensors need to be activated. I had to do it every time I swapped my summer/winter setup on my Cadillac.
The Dodge sensors don't need to be activated. Just install and drive.
I am betting AM didn't install sensors, and charged you for them anyways.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Honestly, I think they put the wrong sensors on the wheels. ANY 433mhz sensor will automatically be picked up by the car, unless the battery is dead. I buy all my sensors from the same ebay seller and only had 1 that didn't pick up.

I have never heard of a sensor that needs the frequency set by the handheld.

There are other cars that need the sensors triggered with the handheld especially Chevy trucks. I've never had to even trigger a sensor on our cars, just install and drive.
Yep they put the wrong sensors on! Got new sensors put on, remounted and balanced, good to go!

·
Registered
345 Posts
GM sensors need to be activated. I had to do it every time I swapped my summer/winter setup on my Cadillac.
The Dodge sensors don't need to be activated. Just install and drive.
I am betting AM didn't install sensors, and charged you for them anyways.
Absolutely infuriating. Why the hell would TPMS sensors need to be “activated” before working? Absurd.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts