Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T. I am thinking about putting a receiver hitch on my car to tow a trailer with my V-Rod on it. Does anyone have any experience towing with the Charger? Any do's or do not's I should consider? I was going to buy the receiver hitch from Dodge along with all the wires and plug. If anyone has this hitch installed how do you like it? Any pics?

thanks
Brian

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i don't think towing and charger go in the same sentence....unless you plan on towing it on a truck then its ok :)

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
and it begins

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the mopar hidden hitch on my car. You can't see it unless you get under the car. Its a nice set up. My only recommendation is that the drop down hitch ball mount that you need to get to fit the hidden hitch needs to be extended because it keeps the ball way too close to the rear fascia for my comfort. Just take it to a welding shop and have it chopped and extended about an 1 1/2 inches. As for all the people who are tempted to make comments that you shouldn't tow with a Charger.... why would I choose to drive a crappy riding pick up truck or suv when I can ride in style and comfort in a vehicle more then capable of towing a small trailer? To me it makes no sense to buy another vehicle for towing unless I was planning on towing all the time, or towing a boat or something large like that. Its perfect for towing a motorcycle trailer. And the fact that people don't know that I even have a hitch unless they get under my car and look is an added bonus.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
the hidden hitch needs to be extended because it keeps the ball way too close to the rear fascia for my comfort. Just take it to a welding shop and have it chopped and extended about an 1 1/2 inches.
That scares the bejeezes out of me. Welding on that part will weaken the structure. Much better idea to get the class 3 receiver and buy a 2" extended hitch.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a tent trailer that I used to tow with my Astro Van, but I just can not get myself to tow it with the Charger. I just doesn’t seem right. Needless to say, we did not do any camping this summer. I am either going to sell the camper or get an old pick up so I can tow it a few weeks a year.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That scares the bejeezes out of me. Welding on that part will weaken the structure. Much better idea to get the class 3 receiver and buy a 2" extended hitch.
Are we talking about the same part? I am talking about the ball mount that slides up into the receiver. It makes it so that the ball is only about 1 inch from the rear fascia. I chopped it right in the middle, and put in a 1" thick X 2" wide bar stock in between, and welded the snot out of it. I am sure its at least as strong as it was stock. It was not cut anywhere near the original welds. And the original welds are all about 3/8 inch wide beads. My beads are about 3/4" wide.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Are we talking about the same part? I am talking about the ball mount that slides up into the receiver. It makes it so that the ball is only about 1 inch from the rear fascia. I chopped it right in the middle, and put in a 1" thick X 2" wide bar stock in between, and welded the snot out of it. I am sure its at least as strong as it was stock. It was not cut anywhere near the original welds. And the original welds are all about 3/8 inch wide beads. My beads are about 3/4" wide.
I understood exactly what you did. Welding affects the molecular grain structure, with a tendency toward embrittlement. Especially welding the snot out of it. Factory welding is done using a highly controlled environment, and tested. It may be stronger in tensile, but considerably weaker in bending, especially right at the edge of the welds. Also you added considerable strength in the middle of the part, forcing loads into a concentrated area. You may be ok, but I personally wouldn't risk it. BTW, I'm a licensed Professional Engineer, with {in my best police academy voice} many many years of automotive experience, working with structural components.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all. Why have it if I can't use it? I got rid of a truck for my Charger.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
If you have anything that will need a truck to move you should get a rental. or invest in a cheap truck. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have anything that will need a truck to move you should get a rental. or invest in a cheap truck. Just my two cents.
Why?? These hemi's are rated for towing right?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have an 06 Daytona, and was thinking of putting a hitch on it to tow a small quad trailer. My ram is already overloaded with my 30' travel trailer and 2 quads. I need to get 2 more quads to the dunes so the wife will have to tow them in the Charger.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have a hitch on mine, but I use it for a bicycle rack. I have towed some small trailers. The only problems I had was that the hitch sits so low, that the neck of the trailer would scrape going into driveways and some intersections with water drains. You will definately need an extended ball so you can turn it upside down to raise the connecting point of the ball. It wont clear the fascia with a normal ball insert.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
I was always curious about this. I don't think I'd ever do it, but since my SRT has more HP and torque than my Ram, the question had to be asked... :nervous s

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Hello, I have a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T. I am thinking about putting a receiver hitch on my car to tow a trailer with my V-Rod on it. Does anyone have any experience towing with the Charger? Any do's or do not's I should consider? I was going to buy the receiver hitch from Dodge along with all the wires and plug. If anyone has this hitch installed how do you like it? Any pics?

thanks
Brian
PowerWagon over on the LXF pulls a trailer with his Mango RT. He even ran it at the track with the trailer hooked up.

18.05 @ 78 MPH!

Yeah it's got a Hemi!

Powerwagon and myself used the Mopar hitch receiver. I use mine, like you are going to, by towing my sport bike behind. Your V-Rod should only weight a few hundred more pounds than my 400lb sport bike.

I either tow/carry my sport bike, bicycles or the Freedom Grill (for M&G and LX gatherings).

·
Registered
471 Posts
I understood exactly what you did. Welding affects the molecular grain structure, with a tendency toward embrittlement. Especially welding the snot out of it. Factory welding is done using a highly controlled environment, and tested. It may be stronger in tensile, but considerably weaker in bending, especially right at the edge of the welds. Also you added considerable strength in the middle of the part, forcing loads into a concentrated area. You may be ok, but I personally wouldn't risk it. BTW, I'm a licensed Professional Engineer, with {in my best police academy voice} many many years of automotive experience, working with structural components.
I hear what you're saying, but.... These cars have a low tow rating, and the parts that are made for them are way underrated. That being said, I have 17 years of welding experience on custom made parts for oil refineries, breweries, coal mining, and many other similar types of industry. I personally do the welding and testing of parts that are far more sophisticated then a trailer hitch. Not to mention I also have built and modified trailers, snow plows, and automobiles. And when I said I welded the snot out of it, that was multiple passes and not just one big glob of metal. The welds we do at our shop are often x-rayed as well to check integrity. Not once in all the years Ihave worked there has a weld been rejected.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Charger and a trailer hitch. Hmmmm.
Hey once I saw some monkeys at the zoo. Well anyway one took a huge crap, and another came over and picked it up. A third one yelled "POOP FIGHT"....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts