Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new this forum so please forgive me if this has already been asked. I am having to consider the possibilitiy of towing a small utility trailer and golf cart with a 06 Charger R/T with a Hemi. I would be getting a hitch specifically for an 06 Charger. Does anyone know if towing has been done with a Charger and how noticable the hitch will be considering it will be for this car and not just a universal hitch. Any help you all can provide would be a great.Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
R/T can tow up to 3800 lbs with a limitation on tongue wt to 200 lbs. With my 1,000 lb trailer, I don't even know it's back there. Haven't towed anything heavier, but the car is extremely stable.

Are you getting the Mopar vertical hitch? If not, don't waste your money, get the Mopar designed and dealer sold hitch. Think real hard about drilling through the body to install the wiring, I did and regretted it afterwards. Should have just left the wire sitting in the trunk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
X2, Part Deux

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
yeah get the mopar hitch; you cant see it unless you get under the car. It has a vertical reciever so it doesn't stick out the back of the car plus its factory so you know it will be a perfect fit.

heres the links to the hitch and harness

hitch
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/hitch-receiver82209575.html?cat=33

harness
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/wiring-adapter8240lx.html?cat=33

reciever adapters
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/bal...arrier-and-distributing-equipment.html?cat=33

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/ball-mount82208642.html?cat=33

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
ALSO

moparsupercenter.com is a chrysler dealer in SC so they are a good place to buy from and are very trusted here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the help. I will be checking the tounge weight to make sure it doesn't exceed the limit and I will be getting the Mopar hitch. I did not know that a verticle hitch even exsisted until visiting this forum. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have been contemplating hitch on my 06' to tow my dirt bike.Now I see the one that I need.Thanks!:rocker:

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Where do you guys see 3800 lbs as the tow rating for the Charger ?

Everywhere I look it says 2000 lbs ..... :knockout:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90797&highlight=hitch

Just recently installed this myself on my SRT-8, works great. I've only towed my 5X10 utility trailer with my riding mower, but as noted, the car didnt even notice that extra weight. Less affected by it than the wifes 99 Blazer, which stands to reason, since it outweighs that truck by a few hundred pounds.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Where do you guys see 3800 lbs as the tow rating for the Charger ?

Everywhere I look it says 2000 lbs ..... :knockout:
I responded in the other thread with a slightly different answer.

MoparSuper Center has this on their page, and I believe even this is incorrect
Out of sight design 3,800-lb tow rating, 380-lb tongue weight
rating with weight distributing equipment; otherwise 2,000-lb tow
rating, 200-lb tongue weight rating; 2" opening, Hitch Ball sold
separately. Use adapter 82208643.​

3,800 for V8 only, BUT limited to 200 lb tongue wt unless wt distributing equipment is used.

i just checked Mopar's site and MSC took a direct quote from Mopar's site. This did not agree with the paperwork that came with my hitch, and have since thrown away. But, be advised even if I am correct, towing with a hitch wt less then 10% of trailer wt, can lead to dangerous trailer sway. Looking at the design, the tongue wt limitation is in place for one and/or two reasons. First is, the vertical design is creating a moment arm that the hitch and frame may not be strong enough to deal with. Second, that's a lot of wt added to the rear of the car that the springs and shocks may not be able to handle.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Well then, I would read that as the hitch being rated for the 3800 lbs, not the car

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Well then, I would read that as the hitch being rated for the 3800 lbs, not the car
considering the hitch is designed for the car, then what is the basis for assuming a lower towing capacity?

the paperwork I did not save clearly delinated the engines stating the 5.7L was rated for 3,800lbs. The only question in my mind was if the restriction was 2,000-3,800 towing capacity was in effect only if wt distributing equipment was used, or if they allowed up to 3,800 with a 200 lb max hitch wt.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
something else to consider,the daytonas have rear stableizeing(sp) shocks this may give a little higher rateing.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
something else to consider,the daytonas have rear stableizeing(sp) shocks this may give a little higher rateing.
R/T come with the higher rating, any advantage that may come from RT pkg (Daytona) was not identified, and quite frankly probably not even tested. Which is probably the reason the SRT is not rated for towing, it was probably never even tested or evaluated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts