Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '07 Charger, 2.7l.

I've been towing my charger with a tow dolley over 500 miles and I had to put it into neutral to get the back wheels to turn in order to tow it.

In order to do that the keys had to be left in it. I didn't wanted to leave the car on and end up with a dead battery, so I tried to disconnect the red wire under the hood to get the power to go off. No luck.

I didn't want to unpack the whole trunk and disconnect from the battery so I just left the keys in with it turned only on Acc (car was not started) and car in neutral.

Got to my mid point, took keys out, went to bed.

In the morning I needed to readjust car on dolley, but of course the car is dead. Got a jump and tried to go into reverse and the trans would not shift (not a pink thingy problem). The shifter will move to all gears, but the car won't shift.

The gear indicator is completely lit-up (every light, see pic) until the car is shifted. Then the gear indicator stays in R--no matter the gear the shifter is in.

ALSO, there is an odd noise now when you try to apply gas to actually back up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOM8IjsmnK4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUrZvUNh79pLjES8ATj-Orjg

Ignore the wind, listen to sound at end of clip.

CLIFFS:
Towing charger on dolley
Messed with battery/electrical
Trans won't even attempt to shift into gears
Odd noise now when applying gas

HELP!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I pulled some fuses and put them back in and the shifting tree on the dash is now working correctly, but the trans still won't shift into any gear.

Edit: I'm beginning to think that the car being on an angle on the tow dolley is an issue. Maybe the trans fluid is not reaching the right places?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you with the computer/electrical issue. Rear wheel drives should only be towed from the rear unless you are willing and able to disconnect the drive shaft. Right in the manual it shows that it needs to be towed with the rear off the ground.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
You towed a rear wheel drive car with the rear wheels on the ground? You'll be lucky if you didn't destroy the transmission.

In the future, you can use the interlock bypass switch to put the car in neutral, to tow for a SHORT distance. Also, you can pull the storage fuse in the trunk to kill power to the system. Check my sig for the how to link to find which fuse number is the storage fuse.

My suggestion, you're going to need to take the car in to at a minimum check the fluid level.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you had read your owners manual, it states if you are towing it with the front wheels off of the ground do not exceed 30 miles distance and don't go over 30 mph when doing this. Damage to the transmission may occur. Fluid check would be first but unfortunately, you may be buying a new transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts