Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was driving my car, got to my destination and put it in park and was sitting for a moment and I noticed my RPMs dropped a little out of nowhere and the car putterred for a second and then went back on running fine. Well today I was driving home and was at a stoplight and the car just died on me while it was in drive with my foot on the brake. When it died a red oil can light lit up on the dash and the thing barely started. It was the weakest start Ive ever heard and cranked for a good two seconds before turning over, but then I made it home fine, no problems. Tried to let it sit again at an idle with my foot on the brake and still wouldnt do it again.

I obvisouly checked the oil right away when I got home. Filled perfectly fine (just did an oil change about 300-400 miles ago, and yes, Im using the right oil!). Also, I have done some things recently and am wondering if this may be contributing to my problem. I installed a cat-back system which I would believe is totally unrelated to this problem, but then I did the fuse 11 pull that everyone talks about to clear the computer so your car learns the mod faster. First of all, Im not even sure if I did the pull correctly the way it is supposed to be done. I never noticed any problems with the car before I did this so i think this may be the source of my problems. Any help/advice/questions/comments with regards to my situation would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, car only has about 6300 miles on it and oil has been changed regularly.

-Pat

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
mine stalled out twice within ten min of each other.

im pretty sure it was because i had just gotten gas and filled it to the brim. i havent had a problem since because i no longer top off.

this doesnt sound like the same thing though.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Mine ran rough & stalled at a stop light at just under 4,000 miles a few months ago. It started to idle rough again a few weeks ago & I mentioned it to the service dept. at the dealership when I had my oil changed a few days later, but they said there was no code stored, so there was nothing they could do.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I guess I will have to get it into the service dept soon and see what they can do about it. Hopefully I dont get any crap for having mods done, but since I did this fuse pull thing there might not be any codes stored either. Really not sure what to do here....

I doubt there was any relation to the gas thing. I fill to the brim all the time and have never had a problem---with any car Ive owned. Maybe your situation might have been bad fuel from the station...?? As for me, I think thats totally unrelated, I was at about an eighth of a tank when it happened. Anyone else think the fuse pull thing could have been related? I have heard that when you install new mods like a cam and stuff and do the fuse pull, do you have to let the car "learn" how to idle every time? If so, that may be my problem because I didnt do that. Anyone with experience on the fuse pull please chime in. Thanks in advance!

-Pat

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The other day I was driving my car, got to my destination and put it in park and was sitting for a moment and I noticed my RPMs dropped a little out of nowhere and the car putterred for a second and then went back on running fine. Well today I was driving home and was at a stoplight and the car just died on me while it was in drive with my foot on the brake. When it died a red oil can light lit up on the dash and the thing barely started. It was the weakest start Ive ever heard and cranked for a good two seconds before turning over, but then I made it home fine, no problems. Tried to let it sit again at an idle with my foot on the brake and still wouldnt do it again.

I obvisouly checked the oil right away when I got home. Filled perfectly fine (just did an oil change about 300-400 miles ago, and yes, Im using the right oil!). Also, I have done some things recently and am wondering if this may be contributing to my problem. I installed a cat-back system which I would believe is totally unrelated to this problem, but then I did the fuse 11 pull that everyone talks about to clear the computer so your car learns the mod faster. First of all, Im not even sure if I did the pull correctly the way it is supposed to be done. I never noticed any problems with the car before I did this so i think this may be the source of my problems. Any help/advice/questions/comments with regards to my situation would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, car only has about 6300 miles on it and oil has been changed regularly.

-Pat
ddduuuuuddddeeee that is the EEEXXAACCTTT same thing that happened to me today!!!! i'm always reading threads on here about chargers randomly turning off but i never thought it'd happen to me... but today i was driving from houston to dallas w/ me lady and we stopped in ennis to eat, so the car was running GREAT all day and all week really, i dk it just seemed awesome lately, but we get off the freeway and pull up to the first light and like as soon as i stopped the oil light came on and the car turned off.

i sat there looking at it for like 10 seconds just thinking what the crap.. then katie starts telling me to go because the light is green and i'm like THE CAR JUST TURNED OFF!!! lol so i put it in park and restarted it... got to the restaurant checked everything... seems like it was just some kinda fluke. the car ran great the whole rest of the way to dallas and up to oklahoma... my guess is that it was something in the computer software stuff...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ddduuuuuddddeeee that is the EEEXXAACCTTT same thing that happened to me today!!!! i'm always reading threads on here about chargers randomly turning off but i never thought it'd happen to me... but today i was driving from houston to dallas w/ me lady and we stopped in ennis to eat, so the car was running GREAT all day and all week really, i dk it just seemed awesome lately, but we get off the freeway and pull up to the first light and like as soon as i stopped the oil light came on and the car turned off.

i sat there looking at it for like 10 seconds just thinking what the crap.. then katie starts telling me to go because the light is green and i'm like THE CAR JUST TURNED OFF!!! lol so i put it in park and restarted it... got to the restaurant checked everything... seems like it was just some kinda fluke. the car ran great the whole rest of the way to dallas and up to oklahoma... my guess is that it was something in the computer software stuff...
Wow kinds weird that the same thing happened to you.... today for that matter! I know what you're saying though, never thought Id be one of those guys! Im always on top of things when it comes to my ride but this is just beyond me. I hope it was a fluke too. I thought the original parking lot incident was a fluke too because it never shut off and I thought maybe I imagined the putter it did before it started running right again.... but today proved me wrong because there is definitely something going on with her. I just hope its nothing serious. I invest alot of time and money into her and shes my baby---my pride and joy! I cant be without her for a few days while shes at a dealership :knockout: . Hopefuly this is nothing, but only time will tell. Still waiting for someone to chime in about the fuse pull thing though...

-Pat

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
yep it sounds like we're in the same boat. pretty much everyone who knows me things i'm obsessed with my car lol... but neways if it happens again i'll definitely be taking it in, for now i'm writing it off as a fluke... as for the fuse pull.. i dk. cant hurt to try i guess. and btw i never had the rpm drop thing.

if nething else strange happens i'll be sure to report it though.

i dk why but i have this feeling it has something to do w/ the fuel pump. cant back it up as all though.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Vapor Lock?

Sounds to me like a vapor lock issue- have had the same issue in every car at some point- but not the charger yet. Easiest check is to loosen the gas cap if it stalls and see if it starts right up after you release the pressure.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Sounds to me like a vapor lock issue- have had the same issue in every car at some point- but not the charger yet. Easiest check is to loosen the gas cap if it stalls and see if it starts right up after you release the pressure.
yyyeeeeaaaaa that sounds about right! its weird though because i filled up in houston and topped it off pretty good, (which prolly wasnt the smartest thing to do, but the gas is cheaper down there lol) but when i pulled off the hwy i was down to like 3/4 tank... i think vapor lock is a good diagnosis... my fuel pump feeling was kinda close.... lol

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I always thought high pressure fuel pumps were supposed to cure vapor lock issues? It was supposed to be low pressure lines to carburetors that were prone to fuel evaporation in the fuel lines due to heat.

I used to hear a lot about problems with topping up too high but have not read any such thing on any of my manuals... if it was a concern, one would think the manufacturers would warn against this practice (they just say to be careful when topping up due to the risk of fuel gushing out... a real risk on a hot day with a hot tank, by the way, as I learned 14 years ago).

I think the story may come from the old EVAP systems on carbureted cars, where topping up would risk damaging the charcoal canister. New evap systems are different (many completely electronic and actually located on or near the tank itself) so I don't think this has been a real concern for many many years. At least I've never experienced any fuel-related problems on any of my FI'ed cars, and I tend to fill them up pretty completely (makes it easier to get consistent MPG readings due to the more consistent fill levels).

Would be interesting to gather more info on these stalling events. Perhaps if everyone who experiences this tried to remember exactly what happened leading up to this stalling and posted it, it might help find a common detail.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gas could very well be related to this I suppose. Weird how it only happened to me when I was relatively low on gas (about an eighth of a tank). I can understand this logic and you may very well be right, but would something like this cause the oil light to come on on the dash? BTW, GoMango, you said the same thing happened to you but did you notice the red indicator light on the dash as well? I will try and loosen the gas cap tomorrow and retighten it and Ill see how it goes.... Probably wont be able to tell right away anyways.

-Pat

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll admit it, I screwed up went to the 'cheap' gas station in town about 6 months ago and filled up on the low grade gas and immediately after that fill up, I had the rough idle at the stop lights. As soon as I burned enough of that gas out, I filled up with the mid-range gas and haven't had the rough idle since (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I can understand this logic and you may very well be right, but would something like this cause the oil light to come on on the dash?
Did the oil light come on as the engine was operating? If you only noticed the oil light once the engine stalled, that's probably just the oil pressure warning light working properly. Normally one shuts off the engine by manually cutting power to the car with the key, so you never get to see the light come on. However, before starting the car, I'm thinking you will see the light since the car has power but the engine's off.

Now, if the light came on as the engine was running, we have problems.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have yet to have mine stall, although, it did freak out the other day. While putting in traffic, ALL of the warning lights came on in the dash. Ya know, just like when you first put the key in. Hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did the oil light come on as the engine was operating? If you only noticed the oil light once the engine stalled, that's probably just the oil pressure warning light working properly. Normally one shuts off the engine by manually cutting power to the car with the key, so you never get to see the light come on. However, before starting the car, I'm thinking you will see the light since the car has power but the engine's off.

Now, if the light came on as the engine was running, we have problems.
I understand what you are saying completely and that makes perfect sense. The light didnt come on til the car died (thank god!). I am going to undo the gas cap when I get home tonight, and fill up with some (hopefully) good mid-grade gas on the next fill-up. Hopefully shes all right and IM prayin it was just bad fuel from the pump and possibly this vapor lock business that are the source of my troubles.

Thanks for all the help though guys, this is why I love this forum!

-Pat

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Gas could very well be related to this I suppose. Weird how it only happened to me when I was relatively low on gas (about an eighth of a tank). I can understand this logic and you may very well be right, but would something like this cause the oil light to come on on the dash? BTW, GoMango, you said the same thing happened to you but did you notice the red indicator light on the dash as well? I will try and loosen the gas cap tomorrow and retighten it and Ill see how it goes.... Probably wont be able to tell right away anyways.

-Pat
yea my red oil light came on. it seemed to me that it came on at the same time the engine went off though. i had the music up pretty loud and i was at a red light and i heard the chime and looked down saw the oil indicator, then looked over at my rpm's and saw it was at zero...

as for tripletansam's common detail request... i had filled up in houston and drove to ennis (probably like 150 miles or so) w/ the cruise set on 75 the whole way. i coasted from the freeway to the exit ramp, down the feeder and stopped at the light, and thats when it happened... could it be a function of cruising for so long and then all the sudden stopping?? that doesnt make any sense to me but what do i know...

i think sense 268 only had 1/8 tank of gas, that kinda rules vapor locking out right? but it could still be a fuel pump issue? or computer issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my used daytona in July and it has since stalled on me twice when stopped at a 4 way. Started right back up but the second time it was like it was stuck in neutral when i stepped on the gas and then she just took off.Took it in for service and they said couldnt find anything wrong....I put correct fuel and oil in it ,dont know what previous owner did. Hasnt done it since ,knock on wood.Kinda glad i am not the only one with this problem. Its embarrassing to stall out but at least we still look good when it happens!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
happen to me as well while making a left turn trying to oncoming traffic! lucky enough i had enough momentum to pull into the autozone parking lot (picking up the 180 t-stat). needless to say, everyone was looking at me as i cranked the car back up while rolling and mashed the gas causing the wheels to spin....scared the ish outta me!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts