Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted these pics elsewhere on the forum but decided to bring it here. I'm really interested in someone who has been here or someone that does adjustments/body repair giving opinions. I'm probably going to go look at the car this afternoon and try to get a better idea of the damage. What should I look at/for? The airbags did not deploy. The front wheels were not impacted (the fenders were not driven back that far and the wheels still turned freely). The best I can tell, the engine was not moved. My Air Raid CAI was bashed up but not destroyed. I have a hard time believing it is totaled but many that have looked at pics think it is. what do ya'll think?

NEW PICS FOR YOUR MORBID CURIOSITY !!!!

NOT TOTALLED!!! NOT EVEN CLOSE edit July 17

LOOKING UNDER HOOD OVER DRIVER'S SIDE FENDER

UNDER HOOD FROM FRONT PASSENGER SIDE

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I need to know how fast you were going when you hit and was the hit square? It looks like the driver side took more impact and if thats the case and speeds were high enough it may have twisted the front of the frame......if thats the case she`s prob gonna be retired. I`m so sorry for you accident and glad no one got hurt. I too have a BLK 08 SRT and it got hit by an idiot running a red light. Luckily she was skidding to a stop and did minor damage.....had to have both passenger side doors replaced and front pass fendor

·
Registered
919 Posts
It's hard to say, there could be internal damage that the pictures don't show.
You should push for a total, even if it's repaired, it's not gonna be the same.
My fathers frame was bent on his Monte and the front passenger tire needed to be replaced every 3 months. For some reason the tire was getting chewed up, it never drove straight either. It was only a minor accident.

What exactly happened in your case?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She was going under 35. Truck was slowing in front of her. She started braking and a cup of ice she had spilled. She looked down - BAM. I think there may have actually been two impacts. The initial impact then a bounce back and then I think she may have hit the gas and hit a second time.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
the damage is fixable with a shamwow! you'll say wow everytime :) hehe, sorry for your luck, glad your ok though!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, me too. That's one thing that makes me think the impact was not a severe as the body damage makes it look. I hope.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Judging by the pics i would say NO. However there could be a helll of a lot more damage done to the engine even if you get it fixed down the road things could start breaking off.

Presonally i would get it fix it, and sell it or drive it more, ooooor sell it off for parts there are a lot of people who would like a srt steering wheel :bigthumb::driving:

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I posted these pics elsewhere on the forum but decided to bring it here. I'm really interested in someone who has been here or someone that does adjustments/body repair giving opinions. I'm probably going to go look at the car this afternoon and try to get a better idea of the damage. What should I look at/for? The airbags did not deploy. The front wheels were not impacted (the fenders were not driven back that far and the wheels still turned freely). The best I can tell, the engine was not moved. My Air Raid CAI was bashed up but not destroyed. I have a hard time believing it is totaled but many that have looked at pics think it is. what do ya'll think
I seriously doubt it's totalled. I was in the autobody business for 8 years back in the 80's and I just don't see enough damage to total a $30K automobile. I still maintain friendships with other shop owners that have been in business for over 30 years now, and when they looked at your pictures, they agreed.

It looks like it's all crumple zone damage with perhaps some realignment of the engine cradle and surrounding subframe. These cars are design to absorb alot of energy in a collision by wrinking and bending metal parts and as a result look just horrific afterward. No surprise the airbags didn't deploy either. The energy absorbing components did their job and the sensors didn't detect enough deceleration g forces to deploy the airbags. Exactly why your daughter walked away uninjured.

As bad as it might look, it doesn't mean it's not repairable to good-as-new condition by a qualified professional body shop. If your insurance company offers "blue ribbon" body shops they will guarantee the work for life. I've seen cars develop unforseen problems resulting from accidents that have been put right by the insurance company years later (I mean stuff like wheel bearings that got flat-spotted during the impact and wore out prematurely and other stuff you just can't tell were damaged). My current insurance company has done the same for me.

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
InvectuSRT8, that was unbelievable, Ok, so airbag deployment don't mean shat! That was one messed up ride. I hope everyone was ok.

Daddy, that's what I was hoping. When I looked under that crumpled ass hood, I was surprise at the engine bay being almost completely in tact. My insurance company is USAA and they have always treated me right. All the past work on other rides has had lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Man thats messed and has me worried if i get into an accident would mine deploy. :worried:
Advanced Airbag Systems are designed to deploy only when the g-forces in the direction they are design to protect for are exceeded. For example, Front airbags deploy in different stages such that the appropriate amount of protection is given the occupants for the g-forces experienced. Side airbags are the same way.

A car that rolls over like the one shown are absorbing energy along the way as they keep moving and decelerate to a stop over a greater distance. The single direction g-forces may never have been enough to deploy the airbags which is why the driver walked away from that one without injury. In a roll over, only the side airbags are likely to deploy (if your car has them) and the fronts probaly never will. Yeah, it destroys the car but the trauma to the human body is less than a straight on collision (like what killed Dale Earnhart).

Don't worry about your airbags working when you need them. If the warning light isn't on, they will do what they're supposed to when it's necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
ahh - it will buff out!

-- no for real though, i dont think it is totaled either, unless there is frame damage or engine damage. time to upgrade some front end parts!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I added new pics to the OP.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I posted these pics elsewhere on the forum but decided to bring it here. I'm really interested in someone who has been here or someone that does adjustments/body repair giving opinions. I'm probably going to go look at the car this afternoon and try to get a better idea of the damage. What should I look at/for? The airbags did not deploy. The front wheels were not impacted (the fenders were not driven back that far and the wheels still turned freely). The best I can tell, the engine was not moved. My Air Raid CAI was bashed up but not destroyed. I have a hard time believing it is totaled but many that have looked at pics think it is. what do ya'll think?
Great pics. Like I said, ugly but NOT totalled. All crumple zone damage. A good qualified body shop and she'll be good as new.

"That which doesn't kill us only makes us stonger!"

Long live the Beast!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
dude its so hard to see those pics, im guessing its gonna be salvage no matter what now?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts