Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All TorRed owners need to be aware of what I am experiencing with my Daytona's Front and Rear bumpers. According to the Body Shop Manager at my Dodge Dealership, I am experiencing paint pigment separation with the TorRed color. Basically, under certain lighting conditions, you see black blotchy spots, almost looks like somebody with dirty hands touched the bumpers prior to painting. However, I am being told that the black is actually the color purple which is a part of the TorRed paint makeup. I am waiting for the 'corporate approval' to get the car in and have the rear bumper cover repainted. The front cover is showing signs of separartion, but I am holding off on having this repainted until it really shows up, as the rear bumper now does.

The blotchy areas are very noticeable under flourescent lighting. I recently had the car in for its oil change at the dealership and the flourescent lighting in the service area really made the purple stand out. The area was also very noticeable under the lighting at the Sunoco Gas station that I frequent.

The affected areas are hard to view in shade and direct sunlight, but if you look very very close, you can see the blotchy areas.

The Body Shop Manager has told me that he has only seen this paint pigment separartion on the plastic/rubber parts of the cars and has not seen it on the metal parts.

This paint pigment separation was first noticed a little over a year after the car was built, so I am curious to hear if anybody is having this problem.

So TorRed owners, keep on eye on your bumpers!

PICTURES CAN BE FOUND IN POST #16

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Nope, I have not seen or heard of this problem. Not sure if this makes a difference or not but do you keep your Daytona outside or in a garage? Also, are you sure its not rail dust you are seeing in the paint?

Before you go having everything re-painted you might want to use a clay bar on the affected surfaces. Not sure I would want them to re-paint the bumpers. The paint on the plastic pieces barely matches from the factory. I would be concerned about uneven paint wear . . . .

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I haven't seen anything like your describing, only thing I have noticed is that there seem to be grease spot all over the exterior. I'm guessing it's just from driving on roads, I usually get them off when I wash. It just seems like there are new spots every week when I my Daytona.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I haven't seen anything like your describing, only thing I have noticed is that there seem to be grease spot all over the exterior. I'm guessing it's just from driving on roads, I usually get them off when I wash. It just seems like there are new spots every week when I my Daytona.
x 2 :yes:

I get this also.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm wondering if these black grease blotches are actually from the road or is it seeping out from the paint.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I'm wondering if these black grease blotches are actually from the road or is it seeping out from the paint.
hmmm......good question :alien:

I have not seen the grease blotches in a long time (early spring). I have been using Meguiar's quik detailer a lot on mine since its carshow season. Maybe that is the reason it has disappeared . . . . maybe not???

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car sits outside with a car cover. I have tried the 'clay bar' several times with absolutely no effect. It is not something that is coming from the road. It is in the paint itself. If I can get a photo of it, I will post. I say if because the photos that I have taken do not show what you can see with the human eye.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I get the grease spots and always thought it was fling from the wheels as it is most noticible on the front door and rear quarter panel even with mud guards. Havent noticed anything on bumpers but I will check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I haven't noticed anything like that. I do notice little black spots, larger black spots, but i think that is from the road and the stuff i use to black out the tires. When i wipe down the car all the black dots get wiped off. Every 8 months i have my car detailed and get a paint sealant put on, but i haven't seen my car under flourescent light yet. Even when i look closely i don't see any "blotches". Will look out for this though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My build date is Nov. '06. I don't have this problem to date but thanks for info, I'll keep an eye out for it. As far as black greasy spots go I get them once in while but that's just normal crap you pick up with your tires and gets slung on the panels. It washes right off without having to use bug and tar remover if you keep your car well waxed year round. I wash my car by hand only every week without fail even in the winter, give it a hard wax base every 6 months and use detail spray every other wash. My paint looks the same today as it did the day I took the home.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You say you keep it under a car cover?

What color is your cover?

Do you leave it on the car when it rained and wet? Then dry under a hot sun?

Maybe it's a stain from the cover, or fogging of the paint from a wet cover.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You say you keep it under a car cover?

What color is your cover?

Do you leave it on the car when it rained and wet? Then dry under a hot sun?

Maybe it's a stain from the cover, or fogging of the paint from a wet cover.
Interesting comments! The cover has a black top with red sides. Yes, I leave it on the car when it rains and it does dry out afterwards. I will have to run this by the body shop manager and see what he says. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your comments!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All TorRed owners need to be aware of what I am experiencing with my Daytona's Front and Rear bumpers. According to the Body Shop Manager at my Dodge Dealership, I am experiencing paint pigment separation with the TorRed color. Basically, under certain lighting conditions, you see black blotchy spots, almost looks like somebody with dirty hands touched the bumpers prior to painting. However, I am being told that the black is actually the color purple which is a part of the TorRed paint makeup. I am waiting for the 'corporate approval' to get the car in and have the rear bumper cover repainted. The front cover is showing signs of separartion, but I am holding off on having this repainted until it really shows up, as the rear bumper now does.

The blotchy areas are very noticeable under flourescent lighting. I recently had the car in for its oil change at the dealership and the flourescent lighting in the service area really made the purple stand out. The area was also very noticeable under the lighting at the Sunoco Gas station that I frequent.

The affected areas are hard to view in shade and direct sunlight, but if you look very very close, you can see the blotchy areas.

The Body Shop Manager has told me that he has only seen this paint pigment separartion on the plastic/rubber parts of the cars and has not seen it on the metal parts.

This paint pigment separation was first noticed a little over a year after the car was built, so I am curious to hear if anybody is having this problem.

So TorRed owners, keep on eye on your bumpers!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sorry for the issue's, but thanks for the pictures. The way it comes up from the bottom makes me think it might be cover related. I'm not sure I would share that with a dealer as he might use it for a way out of repainting your car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the issue's, but thanks for the pictures. The way it comes up from the bottom makes me think it might be cover related. I'm not sure I would share that with a dealer as he might use it for a way out of repainting your car.
Dealer knows about the cover and never once did it come up as a reason. I would think that if it was the cover the blotches would be more uniform in nature, rather than blotches here and there. The bottom blotches are fairly visible in the attached pictures, but what is hard to make out are the blotches that run on either side of the license plate. ln any event, I will add info to this post as I get more info. Thanks for the remarks though, I appreciate your thoughts!

·
Registered
193 Posts
you know, they had that problem back in the late 60's and early 70's and thats why they stopped making that mix of color....my father has a 69 roadrunner, R4 red and there are signs of those purplish/black spots on it as well.....not that this helps at all, but just an interesting fact....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
LILGTO, I had the same problem as you - except you seem to have way more effected spots than I did.

I also thought it was the paint (well, I still think it's the paint, but obviously DCX will not pay for a repaint if they can help it).

I used a cleaner wax (not rubbing compound) and claybar as well with no results. When I took my car into the dealer to get rid of my black streaks, the used a mild rubbing compound / fine cut paste and buffed it out. I really disliked the use of rubbing compound since the last time I used this stuff on a car I ended up with paint chips coming off my car after 6 months. Also, the tech used a white towel and it obviously transfered some torred paint to the towel after using the rubbing compound.

But that's what they used, and the streaks went away and I had to go away even though I really wasn't too happy about any of it.

Oh, and my car was garaged for the few weeks before I saw the streaks and I had only washed the car by hand one time before I saw the streaks. This is a paint shop problem not something you can cause on your own.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.